What does the UK leaving the EU mean for us?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had a look on google about when we went into the common market in 1973 and there were worries and concerns then, Ted Heath said he was optimistic about entering the EU. Years before, Charles de Gaulle opposed us entering the UK. Huge changes carry a lot of uncertainty, worries and anxious times, same we when we changed over to decimal currency, always doubt.
To quote eddie :- It's easy to spread fear but hard to inspire hope.:) Never a truer word spoken.................

equipoise

To be honest I am sick and tired of being told that I am talking down our wonderful country or being negative. I used to think growing up meant facing reality. Brexit was and is about burying the head in the sand. Time people grew up.

Reactions: 2 people

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I was being light hearted because I don't really have time for politics. I agree with your points. As I see it politicians are not qualified to do the job because no one really knows what the job is, they are happy to have the glory and bask in it, but blame all and sundry except themselves when the s*it hits the fan. No idea what the 50 article thing is, as I said politics is not my thing. I hope that eventually we can all be happy with whatever happens to us.
It's article 50 of the Lisbon treaty, and it's the clause that any EU country has to trigger in order to, and if it wishes to exit the EU.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I am sick and tired of being told that I am talking down our wonderful country or being negative. I used to think growing up meant facing reality. Brexit was and is about burying the head in the sand. Time people grew up.

Yes, I remember all the Brexit propaganda rubbishing the experts that predicted this, as it'll simply never happen.
Look at the news, it's happening, so time to man up, and face reality, not simply keep denying it.
Hope is fine, but it's not hope to simply try to stop people talking about what's happening now.

The Brexit plan said it all really.
To paraphrase
'We haven't got one, that's up to no 10 to sort out for us'

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There has been a lot of infighting within the ranks of the Conservative and Labour Party today. The sad thing is these people are putting party politics and their careers before the good and wellbeing of the our country.
It's what the majority of them always do, and it's why Johnson et al campaigned to leave, they were thinking about their own careers.

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am just worried about the net loss to Wales, which will amount to hundreds of millions of pounds and will stop 2 years from when article 50 is eventually triggered.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum
The loss to Wales will actually amount to billions, because the EU had committed £1.8 billion by 2020 to be invested in regeneration schemes and projects aimed at bringing further outside investment in, and therefore generating huge numbers of jobs.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It's easy to spread fear but hard to inspire hope
Hope won't pay my rent and taxes or put food on my table it's hard cash that's required not promises or hope of future prosperity at some undefined time in the future.

We have to live in the here and now.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I take it you mean Michael Ray Dibdin Heseltine, Baron Heseltine

lindisfel

Expert
Dead right John! :);)
The speculators have won again. The poor will be going in droves to the food banks due to increased food costs, the farmers will be unhappy due to NZ lamb and austerity will continue for the rest of our lives. D.
By the way anyone seen all the carb in food banks?

I take it you mean Michael Ray Dibdin Heseltine, Baron Heseltine

Last edited by a moderator:

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see 'Tarzan' is going to sign the on line petition. D.

He seems to be in good company.

'Some 39,411 residents of Vatican City, home to Pope Francis, appeared to have signed the petition by Sunday morning, despite the tiny city state having a total population of just 800.'

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
He seems to be in good company.

'Some 39,411 residents of Vatican City, home to Pope Francis, appeared to have signed the petition by Sunday morning, despite the tiny city state having a total population of just 800.'
God moves in mysterious ways....

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Indeed he does.

In 'North Korea, one of the least internet-connected countries in the world, 23,778 people had apparently gone online' as well

The Leader moves in mysterious ways too.

kim-jong-un-con-il-computer-624092.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hope won't pay my rent and taxes or put food on my table it's hard cash that's required not promises or hope of future prosperity at some undefined time in the future.

We have to live in the here and now.

I will disagree with you, it's not the just here and now, our future is extremely important and it's a sad world if people don't have hope.
Many generations have struggled and I have in the past, so I know of the word 'hope'.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
The loss to Wales will actually amount to billions, because the EU had committed £1.8 billion by 2020 to be invested in regeneration schemes and projects aimed at bringing further outside investment in, and therefore generating huge numbers of jobs.

Yes...very very scary stuff!

MickyFinn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes...very very scary stuff!

Certainly is, and the ironic thing is, the EU was taking that money from the UK government and throwing it into deprived areas all over the UK, Hull and Liverpool being two others, when the UK government has refused to provide any funding.

linnyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
People who are cruel to people or animals.
I watched question time last night & was appalled at the way the leave voters have been perceived. Firstly that they are stupid & have caused armageddon & secondly that it is ' the residents of ****** towns' that have put us in this position. The call for a second vote is a joke. I do not believe we live in a racist country & I believe most members of most cultures have integrated amazingly into Britain. However I do believe that Britains cultures & traditions are being lost & that the government have ignored the voices of many working class areas. Had they have listened & acted I believe we would have had a remain vote. Everyone needs to calm down & realise that Britain traded freely before hand & will do again. I am sure that we will all be made to pay a price for our voice for a couple of years but things will settle. With that brings hope that we will be able to rebuild our services that have been financially drained:stop:

Reactions: 4 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
However I do believe that Britains cultures & traditions are being lost & that the government have ignored the voices of many working class areas. Had they have listened & acted I believe we would have had a remain vote. Everyone needs to calm down & realise that Britain traded freely before hand & will do again. I am sure that we will all be made to pay a price for our voice for a couple of years but things will settle. With that brings hope that we will be able to rebuild our services that have been financially drained:stop:

Cultures and traditions are always being lost, everywhere - it's progress, plus some of them are bad - like the house of lords, casual racism, hunting, slavery and only eating boring food and weak beer.

As for 'Britain traded freely before hand' - are you living on cloud cuckoo land? there had to be hundreds of continually shifting trade deals with every single country individually, there were tariffs, import duties both ways, political bargaining and bartering, it was a nightmare for businesses who trade abroad. Also, countries in the EU get to benefit from preferential trade deals that only a political entity the size of the EU could negotiate, that was one of the main points of it.