What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It does seem you are eating a lot of food in general. Too much of protein or even fat can make me ravenous. I keep to small meals and rarely need snacks anymore.

Protein and fat both have effects on bs. Protein can raise it but fat hinders insulin so when over eating fat you get hungry because you are slowing insulin. It took me a long time to find the right balance. I too am 80% fat but I eat snack sized meals. Half and avocado and celery BF. Lunch is an ounce and a half of protein with some low carb veggies and 1/4 avocado. Dinner same as lunch. I generally out a little EVOO or mayo on the protein as well
It took me awhile to realize the bigger the meal the hungrier I got AFTER I ate. If I keep meals small and balanced I don't get hungry. If I do I have a slice of avocado or two or three nuts. It's amazing how little food I need. I feel much more energetic too. Look at the size of meals people are eating. They aren't big especially before dinner. Many only have coffee for BF. The. Something small at lunch and dinner is usually the addition of more veggies.

LCHF does not have to mean pile it on. It just means replacing carb cals with fat and fat has almost twice as many calories. So a reasonable normal amount of fat is good. Eating lots of fat is not going to help you lose weight, it's just meant to keep calories where they should be. Many of us do well on around 1200. I don't even need that many. I really don't count cals. I set my carb and protein and eat enough fat to satisfy but if I over eat fat I do get hungry.

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm back after going to Kraków and drinking too much anyway today
B-yogurt with raspberries
L-salmon smoked and soft cheese
D-pork chops with spinach in cream sauce
Snack -few almonds

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasted today.

D bacon and boiled egg, tea.

----------
Borderline T2, serial yo-yo dieter but firmly sticking to LCHF with IF

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Bb: good green stuff, clean lean protein, 1tablesp milled chia seeds, 1 tables of milled flax

L: scone and butter - just fancied it

D: omelette and greens

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: cinnamon crunch and chicoryncream
L: lamb and tomato stew
D: stir fried chicken and chicken sausages, with cauli cheese and sugarsnaps
S: 70% choc

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: nothing - on a mini fast
L: Marks and sparks coronation chicken and a Josephs low carb pita
D: Marks and sparks chicken kiev with bacon and cheese on top
Pud: Strawberries with cream 3 ways (double, extra thick and clotted), Splenda and erythritol
snacks: a few cocktail sausages, cashew nuts

Reactions: 5 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Monday 11 /7 / 16
B 2 poached eggs / 1 slice burgen bread
L 2 boiled eggs / 2 crackers / peanut butter
S 1 pkt pork scratchings
D leeks and bacon fried in butter delicious / strawberries / double cream / crème fraiche

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
27g sachet of original porridge with 100ml of full fat milk and 1 soy and linseed toast and 25g of cheese 2 hours later a reading of 4.4 my lowest reading ever! over the last few days I have increased my carb intake to between 50 and 100g I was for the last 6 months 30 to 50g per day as a result I lost 52 Lbs my ? is 4.4 to low and any other advice would be welcome.

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Odd day....

B bacon
L peanut butter and cucumber. Pork scratchings.
D two frankfurters. Just fancied them but they're too processed for my liking!

----------

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B Toasted Lidl half roll with cheese and 2 fried eggs, bacon, mushroom & tomato
L 10 olives and coffee with cream
S Teaspoon peanut butter with added chopped roast nuts
D Mixed salad, mostly home-grown, with cold roast beef and home-made pickled courgette & onion; home-grown strawberries & double cream

D

debrasue

I have only been testing 2 hrs after eating as advised (see article below).. I am probably one of those people, who wouldn't be able to interpret the numbers correctly (still learning 6 months later) :woot:
So for instance, breakfast for me today was:
2 boiled eggs/1 slice bacon/2 slices Vogel wholemeal and oat bread/coffee and milk

BS at start was 5.6, 1 hr later it was 8.2, 2 hrs later 6.2... So the question is, is that figure of 8.2 at 1hr good/bad?? :nailbiting: Normally, I would only look at and see the 2hr figure and think that's pretty ok. actually looking at the 1hr figure, am also thinking that's not bad either.. maybe I'm fooling myself here:wideyed: Hopefully, I am ok well I want to be x

For people who choose to monitor after meals, the clock for when to check starts counting down at the start of the meal. Some people with diabetes monitor one hour after the start of meals in an effort to find their peak blood sugar level, then work to prevent spikes above certain levels. However, the experts say that’s not a good idea and that there isn’t any clinical, peer-reviewed data to support monitoring at one hour. The after-meal blood sugar goals for adults published by major diabetes organizations currently specify levels two hours after the start of meals.

“Looking at normal physiology, blood sugar peaks after you eat,” Dr. Ganda says. “For a person who doesn’t have diabetes, the peak occurs at 45 minutes to an hour after the meal. With diabetes, you peak a little later, and two hours is the standardized amount of time for blood sugar to come back down. There’s no need to check at one hour, because it is hard to interpret the numbers. It may be the peak at one hour, or the peak may not have occurred yet. Every person is different.”
As everybody is different, I guess there's no ideal time to test to fit everyone.
The only constant, however, is that ALL our highs and lows, irrespective of the time they were incurred, will contribute towards our HbA1c and thus the rate at which we may or may not develop diabetic complications.
That said, it makes perfect sense to me to mainly stick to foods which are unlikely to take me over optimum levels, no matter when I am testing.

Last edited:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasted today and just had chicken fajita lettuce wraps and about to have melted choc with whipped cream and chopped nuts.

----------

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: eggs scrambled on a piece of LivLife bread
L: beef burger with cheese on
D: chicken breast with cheese/bacon
S: cheese and low carb Peters Yard biscuit - and around 2/3 of a tub of Oppo

So the day started quite good, if somewhat boring and then went carby. Also 2 G n T's - but could only get Fever Tree Light tonic which isn't sugar free so in 500g of tonic 18g of carbs.

Not the good day I needed - but a long productive day at work so stress down and things might even put. I'm being positive :)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes this thread makes me want to eat more .. thought I was done until I say a mention of chocolate on here - off to find my 85% now ;)

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunch - Lidl roll with bacon and egg,
Few liquorice pontifract sweets accidentally fell into my mouth, in fact a lot not a few!
Cauliflower cheese and haddock

Didn't bother testing after my disaster oh well tomorrow is another day

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Wed
B 2 slices of bacon and scrambled egg / 1 slice of burgen linseed and soya bread
S a few pieces of melon
L 2 rivitas / homemade lemon cheese [ thanks to debrasue]
S small pear
D roast beef and cheese salad / strawberries a few slices banana / double cream.