Alternative con artists

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I would still use it now since the cure is immediate and the adverse effects are transient. I have used it since diagnosis and it has proved effective. I don't know why it does but it does.
Hmm, how long do you have to wait for the syrup? because tickly coughs usually go away on their own in a few days.

Your family are not the only ones to believe in the effectiveness of turnip, apparently it's a traditional remedy: http://www.henriettes-herb.com/eclectic/kings/arisaema.html used for sore throats and the like.

Myself, I like to suck a fisherman's friend - but you're probably not interested in my personal life.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, we have more than one book, actual evidence and so far we haven't started slaughtering those who don't agree with us. (Though I'm often sorely tempted).
Or look like us?? o_O

Agreed, that's just sooooo "barbaric".

...... Especially when they can be "phased out" with eugenics.?! :stop:

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Or look like us?? o_O

Agreed, that's just sooooo "barbaric".

...... Especially when they can be "phased out" with eugenics.?! :stop:
Yeah, we're going to actually start a new breed of scientists. Starting with:
upload_2016-10-5_20-7-38.jpeg
images

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have never met or even heard of a Type 1 my age that I consider very successful, who does not reject much of conventional medical thinking on diabetes. Please let me know if you find one.
If you follow average treatment, expect very average results.
Doctors have set their lawyers on me. They don't want you to know how successful I am using treatments they call ineffective. You should know by now that science in the UK and Australia has been perverted by legal thuggery. Read the BMJ. And diabetics are the losers.

McGints11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found that Balsam Pear (Bitter Melon) worked for me, but had gastric side effects that detracted from its benefits. But I did reduce my bgl by using just a single daily capsule However, changing diet to LCHF had a bigger effect.

I am now using Gymnema Sylvestre to good effect, and have now dropped my dose of Gliclazide from 4 to virtually 1 a day. Just having a minor hypo after taking only 1 GS tonight. BGL of 3.4 just now.
That is really good news, keep it going.

I have recently been using different combinations of apple cider vinegar, bitter melon tea and guava tea with very strong results. It is a pain in the neck in terms of time management, though.

My next A1c is due in 8 weeks and I will let you how the results stack up.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Don't entirely agree with that statement.

Several years ago I had a back issue that couldn't be resolved by physio despite several visits, so went privately to see a chiropractor who brought about instant relief, I can assure in this instance it wasn't the 'placebo effect' :)
Not arguing, but had to comment as my wife is a Physio and I work out of the same office for my IT business, so for over 9 years I have built relationships with her clients and been witness to amazing reversals. Like Doctors not all Physio's are equal. My wife will again this Christmas get my customer presents than me due to her almost divine healing outcomes for long term conditions. I think she is so good due to her personality and skill. With a background of being in the British Judo squad, a personal trainer, a 1st class sports science degree and 2:1 Physio degree, 2 stints in the NHS, she also worked at West Ham, I remember a case study on Michael Carrick (sorry if you don't know, he is a pretty good footballer). Anyway long story short is that good Physio does and can work, you most likely had average treatment unfortunately.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Anyway long story short is that good Physio does and can work, you most likely had average treatment unfortunately.

Physio does work your quite right @Mbaker, just on this occasion it didn't despite seeing 3 different physio's, whether it was down to their skills I couldn't honestly say.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sad to see anyone knocking chiropractors on here. Mine did cure me and instantly. Had a history of back pain and disc problems for years. Had been to a physio a few times and following the exercises was doing very little to improve matters. Someone suggested a chiropractor and I was sceptical. My mum helped me up the stairs to the office as I could barely walk and was in much pain. Chiropractor talked over my problem, explained what may be the cause, performed a manipulation and with one 'crack' I was instantly cured. Danced down the stairs and competed in an ice skating competition 3 days later. I may have improved with physio alone over a period of weeks - I may have improved anyway over a period of weeks but it was the skill of the chiropractor that gave me instant and lasting results.
Homeopathy I agree on scientific evaluation looks like codswallop but it has worked for me and for my son and even for animals (who can hardly know what they were getting and whether it was 'evidence based' but it still worked). Reiki has definite benefits - again I was not a believer but felt the effects. Not everything that works necessarily has a basis in current scientific knowledge but given we discover everyday new invisible particles and new ideas on how the world works in scientific terms maybe they are just further on the knowledge path without even knowing it. And the main thing is if it works why knock it? Much mainstream medicine does not work well or has significant side effects (statins for example) and many drugs we are told are safe turn out to be anything but (thalidomide anyone?)
Those snake oil salesman are alive and well in the drugs industry as much as in 'alternative medicine'

Last edited:
Reactions: Brunneria

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in the 1980s when I was pregnant I took raspberry leaf extract, which the midwives looked upon as akin to witchcraft. They asked why, and I told them that there was a long tradition of midwifery in the family, and kept on taking it. Apparently I recovered far more rapidly than expected, the nurses at the maternity hospital were looking for me in the ward, where I should have been out for the count, when both times I was in the dining room looking for something large and meaty to devour. Apparently raspberry leaf extract is really good for pregnant women as it affects the muscles they are going to need and it is now recommended in the last trimester.

Reactions: zand

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sad to see anyone knocking chiropractors on here. Mine did cure me and instantly. Had a history of back pain and disc problems for years. Had been to a physio a few times and following the exercises was doing very little to improve matters. Someone suggested a chiropractor and I was sceptical. My mum helped me up the stairs to the office as I could barely walk and was in much pain. Chiropractor talked over my problem, explained what may be the cause, performed a manipulation and with one 'crack' I was instantly cured. Danced down the stairs and competed in an ice skating competition 3 days later. I may have improved with physio alone over a period of weeks - I may have improved anyway over a period of weeks but it was the skill of the chiropractor that gave me instant and lasting results.
Homeopathy I agree on scientific evaluation looks like codswallop but it has worked for me and for my son and even for animals (who can hardly know what they were getting and whether it was 'evidence based' but it still worked). Reiki has definite benefits - again I was not a believer but felt the effects. Not everything that works necessarily has a basis in current scientific knowledge but given we discover everyday new invisible particles and new ideas on how the world works in scientific terms maybe they are just further on the knowledge path without even knowing it. And the main thing is if it works why knock it? Much mainstream medicine does not work well or has significant side effects (statins for example) and many drugs we are told are safe turn out to be anything but (thalidomide anyone?)
Those snake oil salesman are alive and well in the drugs industry as much as in 'alternative medicine'

If homeopathy works it simply has to be a placebo effect. Any active ingredient has been diluted down so much as to be non-existent.

Personally i would never use a homeopathic medicine but would respect the beliefs of others to do so. The human mind is an immensely powerful organ

Reactions: Seewalk and dbr10

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I am an experienced practioner in alternative methods of healing.

I have looked at the way our imagination can be a huge factor in our health.

Sadly there are far too many of what I call the love and light brigade

It is all about intention. Hypnosis can be great for controlling pain for example

However hypnosis can only take us so deep into the real power.

Somebody who knows a good induction can take you on the start of the journey.

Guided meditation mp3 or videos are good if you are good at ‘seeing the pictures in your head… I hardly ever can.

The point is somebody can take you so far but there comes a point where you need to go beyond the journey… Meditation is something only YOU can do. Somebody else can NOT meditate you! So in the silence within your mind is where the real power/force of healing is.

I can teach you several kinds of meditation if you want to experience this force of healing YOU CAN!

I am Mr normal who has spent over half a century looking at the power of the mind and use it in my everyday life… Because it works!

I am passionate about ‘outing’ the Charlton’s there are far far too many out there.

Saddly far more ill-informed uneducated unregulated people who have learnt from the internet and expensive books who think they are experts.

Great alternative healers are out there… It is a matter of finding them.

They are almost as hard to find as rocking horse poo!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am an experienced practioner in alternative methods of healing.

I have looked at the way our imagination can be a huge factor in our health.

Sadly there are far too many of what I call the love and light brigade

It is all about intention. Hypnosis can be great for controlling pain for example

However hypnosis can only take us so deep into the real power.

Somebody who knows a good induction can take you on the start of the journey.

Guided meditation mp3 or videos are good if you are good at ‘seeing the pictures in your head… I hardly ever can.

The point is somebody can take you so far but there comes a point where you need to go beyond the journey… Meditation is something only YOU can do. Somebody else can NOT meditate you! So in the silence within your mind is where the real power/force of healing is.

I can teach you several kinds of meditation if you want to experience this force of healing YOU CAN!

I am Mr normal who has spent over half a century looking at the power of the mind and use it in my everyday life… Because it works!

I am passionate about ‘outing’ the Charlton’s there are far far too many out there.

Saddly far more ill-informed uneducated unregulated people who have learnt from the internet and expensive books who think they are experts.

Great alternative healers are out there… It is a matter of finding them.

They are almost as hard to find as rocking horse poo!
I had a couple of heart attacks last month, and one side effect was that the reality of not being able to breathe properly sent me into panic. Now this flooded my body with adreneline and I was already insulin resistant, so the adenaline stopped the insulin storing glucose, and my IR stopped me using it so the glucose filled my veins with nowhere to go, My bgl shot right off the meter in A&E, and could not be read.

I managed to rationalise this while gasping away, and realised I had to drop the adrenaline as nothing else would bring those levels down (insulin infusions were tried with zero effect since I already had that a plenty). So I applied mindfullness and meditation that I had learnt in the 60's, and the next morning I greeted my Consultant with a smile and a reasonable glucose count. I have found myself doing it throughout this current journey since I am not out of the woods by far, but I have pushed my diabetes into remission now, Yes YOU CAN.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many of the things we can now get on prescription were once not recognised by big pharma type medicine. But nowadays most traditional remedies have not been tested by double blind experiments and are unlikely to be tested.
One story illustrates part of the problem in getting them pushed through official, expensive testing:
years ago two young researchers experimented on the use of ginger for travel sickness. They used equipment designed to test astronauts, and confirmed the best dose of ginger - at which it worked better than medicines currently sold for travel sickness.
They appeared on national tv news talking about the research, but they then discovered there was no way to patent the dose - and so they refused to announce that. We knew there was scientific evidence that ginger works better but no one else knew how much to take.
The take home message for researchers is that there is no money in this type of research - so it is rarely done.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
I had a couple of heart attacks last month, and one side effect was that the reality of not being able to breathe properly sent me into panic. Now this flooded my body with adreneline and I was already insulin resistant, so the adenaline stopped the insulin storing glucose, and my IR stopped me using it so the glucose filled my veins with nowhere to go, My bgl shot right off the meter in A&E, and could not be read.

I managed to rationalise this while gasping away, and realised I had to drop the adrenaline as nothing else would bring those levels down (insulin infusions were tried with zero effect since I already had that a plenty). So I applied mindfullness and meditation that I had learnt in the 60's, and the next morning I greeted my Consultant with a smile and a reasonable glucose count. I have found myself doing it throughout this current journey since I am not out of the woods by far, but I have pushed my diabetes into remission now, Yes YOU CAN.

This is a great endorsement for meditation.

I spent quite some time going each week to the Buddhist centre in Norwich.

Mindfulness is a great meditation to experience. Being in a group session is helpful for a lot of people.

On a side note:

One of my friends had a heart attack and he was admitted to hospital. He was wired up to a monitor and was being watched through the night.

Remembering the meditaion I taught him, like you he decided to sit calmly on the bad and meditate … within a few minutes he was aware that he was surrounded by ‘the crash team’ He had slowed his heart rate to such an extent he set the alarm off. He smiled and explained he was meditating and in calm deeply relaxed state.

Prove positive of the power of meditation!

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Research has found that prescribed drugs also have a placebo effect which is in addition to the physiological effects of the drug itself. Injections tend to have a stronger placebo effect than pills, and the colour of the pills affects how strong the placebo effect is.

Some medics have wanted to harness the placebo effect without exposing their patients to drug side-effects but didn't want to deceive their patients. It was thought that if patients knew they were being given a placebo, it wouldn't work. However, there was a study which suggested that placebos still worked even if the patients knew they were getting a placebo:- http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0015591

There was a study which investigated the use of placebos by GPs:- http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/03March/Pages/97-percent-of-GPs-admit-prescribing-placebos.aspx

There's a few fun facts about placebos here:- http://qi.com/infocloud/placebos
When I still worked as a doctor I gave placebos a couple of times for pain (before finding out it was unethical!) Worked like a charm.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Back in the 1980s when I was pregnant I took raspberry leaf extract, which the midwives looked upon as akin to witchcraft. They asked why, and I told them that there was a long tradition of midwifery in the family, and kept on taking it. Apparently I recovered far more rapidly than expected, the nurses at the maternity hospital were looking for me in the ward, where I should have been out for the count, when both times I was in the dining room looking for something large and meaty to devour. Apparently raspberry leaf extract is really good for pregnant women as it affects the muscles they are going to need and it is now recommended in the last trimester.

I used the raspberry leaf when I was pregnant to great effect too. My sister's GP recommended black cohosh tea to her when she was having a difficult menopause and didn't want HRT. It was fairly effective for her, and I used it too. Likewise I use echinacea drops when/if I have a cold (very rare occurrence) and it really helps.

There are so many herbs and teas that used to be used year ago that people forgot. My mum had a whole repertoire of them that she taught me, and I have used them to good effect all my life. I wouldn't know if the doctor would have recommended or condemned them because I don't often go.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Loveday8

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
WWW dot EXAMINE dot COM is a fab website set up by scientists at various universities, listing non-allopathic medicines that have been properly researched, and their efficacy for various ailments.

A lot of good stuff on there proving a BOTH/AND mindset is a far wiser option when looking at healing opportunities...

It seems I'm not allowed to post a whole link - sorry !

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
WWW dot EXAMINE dot COM is a fab website set up by scientists at various universities, listing non-allopathic medicines that have been properly researched, and their efficacy for various ailments.

A lot of good stuff on there proving a BOTH/AND mindset is a far wiser option when looking at healing opportunities...

It seems I'm not allowed to post a whole link - sorry !
Its a subscription only website $29 pcm or $987 unrestricted access.
Thats why its not allowed here.
Google shows no independant reviews, Their website contains no information on who does the research or their credentiials. Only gives a single statement that no conflicts of interest which means nothing if the reviewers cannot be identified. Very suspicious.

Their list of covered supplements omits many of the commonly used ones discussed on this website, but has a load of very strange ones instead.

Seems advisable to save your money
+++++++++++

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As this has popped up, I'll add that my father's mother's family were herbalists, midwives, nurses and similar, and when my legs and feet were dangerously swollen after having the first AZ jab, plus being rather ill, I used ginkgo biloba, an extract of the maidenhair tree, and a circulation booster after antibiotics did not resolve the painful and discoloured toe problem. Thankfully in 24 hours there was a noticeable improvement. the end joint of the toe most affected is fused now, but otherwise it seems all is well.
Not every herbal remedy is a fraud, as some were used to good effect for many centuries and are now made or even improved on by modern science. Asprin is one which comes to mind - extract of willow bark.

Reactions: Ymdawd