Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Which Forum? There are two. This one (DCUK) and the Diabetes UK forun (DUK) i,e, the other lot. They do not support low carb diets, and are mentioned on all the BBC progs I have watched. But DUK strongly support PHE and the Eatwell plate, and statins too, DUK are also tied in to ASDA who fund some of their activities, especially publicity and in-store promotions (with carb heavy raffles on the stand). DUK are also consulted on gov health matters via PHE and NICE.

I have not seen this Forum mentioned by the Beeb,

It was this forum. They taked about its base just outside coventry, had its banner and talked about it being the largest membership. also about diabeliama and eating disorders and how its like on a day to day basis living with diabetes

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was this forum. They taked about its base just outside coventry, had its banner and talked about it being the largest membership. also about diabeliama and eating disorders and how its like on a day to day basis living with diabetes

@Engineer88
Which region?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Won't that make a person unwell!

The daily guidelines are 1500 for men and 1000 for women unless I'm mistaken.
Hi. Ignore any guidelines for recommended calorie intake. The 'experts' just make up the numbers aided and abetted by the food industry. Most people will soon know if they aren't eating enough i.e. they will lose weight and it won't stop :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m afraid the answer there could lie in the unavoidable truth that sticking to a low calorie diet and shedding the weight requires some serious motivation and will power. Not all humans possess those and would rather the easy option. And from a purse strings point of view, doing the surgery will probably work out more cost effective IF it prevents long term complications from developing.
I’m sure if the medical profession could simply tell each patient to go diet and they came back 6 months later having lost the weight then surgery wouldn’t be a consideration.
Since the NHS has been preaching the wrong diet (Eatwell plate, loads of carbs etc, low-fat everything) then the patients come back having not lost weight and hence have bariatric surgery. The lunacy and ignorance continues in the NHS and elsewhere although I do detect a feint ray of light in some areas.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Which Forum? There are two. This one (DCUK) and the Diabetes UK forun (DUK) i,e, the other lot. They do not support low carb diets, and are mentioned on all the BBC progs I have watched. But DUK strongly support PHE and the Eatwell plate, and statins too, DUK are also tied in to ASDA who fund some of their activities, especially publicity and in-store promotions (with carb heavy raffles on the stand). DUK are also consulted on gov health matters via PHE and NICE.

I have not seen this Forum mentioned by the Beeb,
This week's TV program did mention diabetes.co.uk i.e. this site and not the DUK one which was great. I do sometimes look at and contribute to the other DUK site and it has changed a lot over the last year. The stuffy nonsense from DUK has faded and many of the posts tend to be in line with the up to date thinking this site proffers. Even the DUK website dietary guidance has been very quietly changing - have a look. I'm sure DUK would never admit it but the complaints we have all made to them about diet appear to be having some effect at long last.

Scardoc

But therein lies the problem. They never give decent dietary advice in my experience. When I was told I was pre-diabetic I was told to "loose some weight" when I was diagnosed with Type 2 - I was given the eatwell plate. Both absolutely useless pieces of advice. As Dr Fung says in the long term we all know that calorie restriction doesn't work but HCP's still "prescribe it" so most are doomed to failure.

Ok, a literal translation but the point I was making is that our advanced modern society has the ability now to carry out bariatric surgery as though its no big deal. It’s a convenient way to try and fix a long term problem with short term results.
The hard way is to lose weight naturally. “Lose some weight” is not a useless piece of advice in itself, but, in reality, how to lose the weight is a very personal issue. We are all individuals and for some it could be as simple as portion control, exercise or calorie counting but for others it could be counselling to overcome psychological problems that lead to weight gain or, in extreme cases, where all else has failed or is not possible…….bariatric surgery. Hell, the Eatwell Plate could well work brilliantly for some depending on what they currently eat!
But for me, something as extreme as surgery and which does not have a 100% success rate should be restricted for those cases that require it.
The Oxford Uni study in the news today where Doctors bring up the fact someone is overweight and offer help is very interesting and has promising results.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This one has a huge section on the Forum: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07zcsmz/inside-out-west-midlands-24102016

West MIdlands funnily enough :) Guess which one is @Giverny ;)

Any idea why the interviewees in the section about diabetes.co.uk were all Type 1's (or at least that's what they appeared to be) especially odd after the first half of the program was all about Type 2.. This was never made clear and there was lots of talk about "Diabetes" without any specifics.
Maybe I should ask @CaptainEarle

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, a literal translation but the point I was making is that our advanced modern society has the ability now to carry out bariatric surgery as though its no big deal. It’s a convenient way to try and fix a long term problem with short term results.
The hard way is to lose weight naturally. “Lose some weight” is not a useless piece of advice in itself, but, in reality, how to lose the weight is a very personal issue. We are all individuals and for some it could be as simple as portion control, exercise or calorie counting but for others it could be counselling to overcome psychological problems that lead to weight gain or, in extreme cases, where all else has failed or is not possible…….bariatric surgery. Hell, the Eatwell Plate could well work brilliantly for some depending on what they currently eat!
But for me, something as extreme as surgery and which does not have a 100% success rate should be restricted for those cases that require it.
The Oxford Uni study in the news today where Doctors bring up the fact someone is overweight and offer help is very interesting and has promising results.

I think that exercise and calorie counting are certainly not effective ways of loosing weight. Calorie counting especially has been show many times to fail although exercise too mainly serves to spike the appetite. When anecdotal evidence from the site is huge that changing what and when we eat is such a powerful tool I find it pretty devastating that so many HCP's are either ignorant of this or unwilling to even discuss it yet are happy to consider bariatric surgery. I'm not saying that you are in that camp but many of your colleagues are guilty as charged.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This week's TV program did mention diabetes.co.uk i.e. this site and not the DUK one which was great. I do sometimes look at and contribute to the other DUK site and it has changed a lot over the last year.

I follow both the forums, and I find that both of them are interesting, because I haven't found any Italian speaking forum with a lot of frequentation. United Kingdom based forum are talking a lot about NHS woes, that are like but not quite the same like SSN woes, or in this case of TV programmes broadcasted by BBC, but this is not a big deal.

S

serenity648

Are there after affects of bariatric surgery? I vaguely seem to remember reading about people needing further surgery, gall bladder troubles, issues with loose skin, and malnutrition in the long term, but cant remember where I read it.

wouldnt that cause health problems of its own, coupled with costing the NHS even more money?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This week's TV program did mention diabetes.co.uk i.e. this site and not the DUK one which was great. I do sometimes look at and contribute to the other DUK site and it has changed a lot over the last year. The stuffy nonsense from DUK has faded and many of the posts tend to be in line with the up to date thinking this site proffers. Even the DUK website dietary guidance has been very quietly changing - have a look. I'm sure DUK would never admit it but the complaints we have all made to them about diet appear to be having some effect at long last.
I also used to correspond on DUK forum but got Moderated off it for making disparaging comments about HCVLF diet (Eatwell#2), and that was just a few months ago. Mind you I also got bounced from this site at around the same time, so it must be something in the water, like low bgl. Whooppee Doo!

adele_francis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You could be describing my dad and most of his siblings - all T2s - I was normal weight until my mid 40s - changed nothing and piled weight on at a rate of knots - reckon that's when I started with T2 and had it for a number of years undiagnosed- a virus could be a likely cause - it has many causes - I don't dwell on why just work on being the best I can be now
The same thing happened to me in my 40yrs i only got diagnosed because l was going in for an operation and a blood sugar test was done i was undiagnosed for yrs piling weight and kept going to the doctor's l am T2 very interesting to know that a virus could be the cause

Reactions: Prem51

adele_francis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The same thing happened to me in my 40yrs i only got diagnosed because l was going in for an operation and a blood sugar test was done i was undiagnosed for yrs piling weight and kept going to the doctor's l am T2 very interesting to know that a virus could be the cause
Adele Francis

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The virus bit was in reply to @asparagusp - mine wasn't a virus I'm pretty sure mine was genetic also I have PCOS and psoriasis- all of which raise your chances of being T2

As I have tagged asparagusp in the post she (I think you are a she @asparagusp if not apologies :))may be more help with the info on the virus thing as I know next to nothing about that

Welcome to the forum by the way:)

Reactions: Prem51