ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Freema i have to call you on that last paragraph. It is quite objectionable.
I've agreed because old people need nutrients just as much. I've seen some old people neglected due to such attitudes. It breaks my heart. I'm dreading being old. I hope my memory goes first otherwise I'd be fed anything and i'll be so bad tempered.

D

Deleted member 308541

To bring the topic back to fish. :meh:

We eat fish once or twice a week, this includes other seafood such as prawns or mud crab.

Toxins in fish here in Australia are mainly Ciguatera poisoning, but this mainly in certain reef fish, and as some people that have a taste for Flake (another flash name for Shark) there is a chance of mercury levels rising in your body.

I still miss Grimsby Kippers, all we can get is tinned Kippers which are not the same.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I thought this thread was about eating fish, not drinking milk. I tried to bring it back on topic before to no avail it seems. :arghh:

Here's a thread about drinking milk right here.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/can-i-drink-milk.110903/
Apologies if it seems to have gone off track. The OP originally posed the question on this thread, which then got made into it's own thread, presumably by a moderator, but not all posts transferred with it. I replied to the post still left here. Perhaps a moderator could shift the posts?

A

asparagusp

Thanks for posting the link to The Dairy Council website, I never can find it when I want it.
Upon reading it just now, it agrees with my previous post ie 200ml semi-skimmed milk = 9.7g CHO.
Can you explain how you interpret this site's figures differently, please?
I do feel it is important to dispel incongruity, I wish to be accurate in my posts. Thank you
Sorry I replied to the wrong poster

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
@Tipetoo my sincere apologies as I think it was me that posted the milk question,I am relativly new and it was just an oversight on my part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My teenager and I are having fish today, salmon in sauce. I was never a big salmon lover before, even though I do love fish, I had it at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago and it was gorgeous, I love mackerel, tuna, cod, haddock, the cheaper cuts like coley and bass which make a nice fish curry or stew and mackerel pate is so tasty too.

Reactions: noblehead

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I love fish too. If I was on a dessert island I could live off fish. I've noticed since eating more animal meats I've gained weight and having pelvic joint horrific pain. May be co-incidental but on read up on inflammation fish is better than meat fats but not an anti-inflammatory like nuts.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
A good balanced diet is my motto, everything in moderation.

I like lots of foods including fish but would get pretty fed up with it if I just ate the same thing every day.

Reactions: Yorksman

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fish is excellent as are most marine diets but some north west europeans might eventually die if they went onto an eskimo diet. By no means all, but some. You can have too much of a good thing and genetically, we are adapted to a different diet. It's probably best to mix and match lots of fish with other things. Marine, riverine, esturine and lacustrine diets contain most of those vital things for humans, iodine in the salt, calcium in small boney fish, various rare but vital vitamins etc etc. But, they do other things too, like thin the blood which may be a good thing but which also be a bad thing, depending on your own genetic make up. Mixing and matching, keeping things varied is playing it safe. Fish goes very well with tomatoes, broccoli, olives, onion, pulses but so does chicken and ham. Vary the type of fish that you eat and don't overlook things like mussels which are becoming easier to obtain. King prawns are my favourite. They go well with tomatoes and some wholewheat pasta. So does tuna, just add some sliced olives into the sauce.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fish is excellent as are most marine diets but some north west europeans might eventually die if they went onto an eskimo diet. By no means all, but some. You can have too much of a good thing and genetically, we are adapted to a different diet. It's probably best to mix and match lots of fish with other things. Marine, riverine, esturine and lacustrine diets contain most of those vital things for humans, iodine in the salt, calcium in small boney fish, various rare but vital vitamins etc etc. But, they do other things too, like thin the blood which may be a good thing but which also be a bad thing, depending on your own genetic make up. Mixing and matching, keeping things varied is playing it safe. Fish goes very well with tomatoes, broccoli, olives, onion, pulses but so does chicken and ham. Vary the type of fish that you eat and don't overlook things like mussels which are becoming easier to obtain. King prawns are my favourite. They go well with tomatoes and some wholewheat pasta. So does tuna, just add some sliced olives into the sauce.
Interested to know why you think we would die if we ate an inuit diet?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Freema i have to call you on that last paragraph. It is quite objectionable.

LOL, he could have put it better I agree but now I am in my sixties, I am more concerned with shorter term health than longer term health.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interested to know why you think we would die if we ate an inuit diet?

Some could die, by no means all and to be fair, inuit eat meat as well as seafood. But the idea is the same, eating too much fish oil can be dangerous for some. It's to do with the potential for internal hemorrhaging in some people. The blood thinning qualities in many fish products is great for protecting the heart, the thing that we seem to worry about most in europe and the usa, but it can be fatal for people who have one of a number of bleeding disorders, who we rarely talk about in the media. Another danger is the potential for vitamin toxicity. Quite a few people in the UK get vitamin A poisoning every year through eating too much carotene found in carrots, squash, and sweet potatoes. They think it's healthy. At least with this, you know when you turn orange that you have a problem. You don't with internal bleeding, unless it is near the surface and you start bruising.

People are genetically not the same and there are many genes which, for some people are beneficial but which are for others debilitating. For example, for most europeans sickle cell anaemia results in a number of possible conditions which can include pallor and weariness. Sickle cell anaemia though also provides a certain amount of protection against malaria which is great for those living in sub saharan africa but not of much benefit to those living in the UK.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some could die, by no means all and to be fair, inuit eat meat as well as seafood. But the idea is the same, eating too much fish oil can be dangerous for some. It's to do with the potential for internal hemorrhaging in some people. The blood thinning qualities in many fish products is great for protecting the heart, the thing that we seem to worry about most in europe and the usa, but it can be fatal for people who have one of a number of bleeding disorders, who we rarely talk about in the media. Another danger is the potential for vitamin toxicity. Quite a few people in the UK get vitamin A poisoning every year through eating too much carotene found in carrots, squash, and sweet potatoes. They think it's healthy. At least with this, you know when you turn orange that you have a problem. You don't with internal bleeding, unless it is near the surface and you start bruising.

People are genetically not the same and there are many genes which, for some people are beneficial but which are for others debilitating. For example, for most europeans sickle cell anaemia results in a number of possible conditions which can include pallor and weariness. Sickle cell anaemia though also provides a certain amount of protection against malaria which is great for those living in sub saharan africa but not of much benefit to those living in the UK.

Never knew that.. seems especially bad if you are taking other blood thinning drugs especially warfarin.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never knew that.. seems especially bad if you are taking other blood thinning drugs especially warfarin.

Yes, that's why the use of warfarin is very strictly monitored. The regular warfarin clinics test for levels of the clotting factors in the blood and the warfarin dose is adjusted accordingly. Everyone is different and have different diets and treament with warfarin is on an individual level. This contrasts with a drug like Apixaban which acts differently and which can be used in set doses. Warfarin doses always start by looking at your individual blood clotting process and repeated trips back to the clinic are required. Here is a case of a woman who suddenly decides to double her intake of fish oil:

"This case reveals a significant rise in INR after the dose of concomitant fish oil was doubled. Patients undergoing anticoagulation therapy with warfarin should be educated about and monitored for possible drug-herb interactions."

Fish oil interaction with warfarin.