Type 2s: What have you eaten today?

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Last edited:

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. The American version does not have sausage at all. British Toad-in-the-hole is more like our Pigs in a Blanket.
...Our version of Pigs in a Blanket
upload_2016-11-21_0-7-12.jpeg

AKA "Kilted Sausages"

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
...Our version of Pigs in a Blanket
View attachment 21089

AKA "Kilted Sausages"

Is that bacon around sausages? I am currently browsing the soups and stews thread for ideas for aubergine-we call it something else but I have been told that it is polite to say aubergine in UK. Do you have a good aubergine recipe?

D

Deleted member 308541

Aubergine is the correct name, but we call them Egg Plant in Australia.

There are a lot of recipes for them on Google, you might see something nice.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Aubergine is the correct name, but we call them Egg Plant in Australia.

There are a lot of recipes for them on Google, you might see something nice.
Yes, we call them eggplant too-I think I have found a nice roast version for tomorrow. I will try it out and let you know how it turned out.

Smelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Breakfast- Green lemon tea with chocolate chia seed pudding.

Lunch - handful of mixed nuts.

Dinner - lamb with cauliflower,savoy cabbage, Brussel sprouts and gravey. Two squares of 85% dark chocolate.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
FBG: 112 mg/dl
Breakfast: 1 packet Better Oats with flax brown sugar maple flavor, 1 cup coffee with 2 oz 2% milk (24 carbs, 190 cal)
Lunch: Chobani Greek yogurt peach flavor (18 carb,120 cal ), 1/4 c. roasted peanuts ( 5 carb, 170 cal ), water
Snack: 3 chocolate chip cookies (22 carb, 160 calories) 8 oz 2% milk (13 carb, 130 cal)
Dinner: Quarter Pounder with cheese (42 carb, 520 cal) 1/2 small fries (15 carb,115 cal ), water
Total for day: ( 139 carb, 1405 cal)
(Bad diet day!-Eggplant did not get made-will make it tonight and try again tomorrow)
PPD BG: 202 mg/dl
10:30pm 146 mg/dl

Last edited:

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 3 rashers rindless bacon, 1 fried egg, 3 mushrooms, 3 (small) slices of black pudding
Lunch: Chicken stir fry, with mixed vegetables and egg noodles

Afternoon snack; 3 tiny slices rye bread with Marmite (yum) and a little cheese

I tested my BG about 2 hours later and they'd shot up to the top side of 15mmol. Consoled myself with a stiff whisky.

I should also point out that I've had a good walk around my local town and completed a half hour session of interval training on my cycle trainer. This all makes me feel even more like my avatar looks like I feel.

How do you all manage to calculate and count your carbs and cals for each mouthful of food!?

Reactions: SWUSA_

Paula62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cannot stand yogurt, butter squash or chick peas
Reading this morning was 5.3 > bowl of cornflakes and mug of tea
Lunch reading 3.1 > 2 slices bread, small teacake & coffee
Dinner > 2 slices toast, 4 cherry tomatoes, 2 grilled rashers in an omelette > mug of tea

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Breakfast: 3 rashers rindless bacon, 1 fried egg, 3 mushrooms, 3 (small) slices of black pudding
Lunch: Chicken stir fry, with mixed vegetables and egg noodles

Afternoon snack; 3 tiny slices rye bread with Marmite (yum) and a little cheese

I tested my BG about 2 hours later and they'd shot up to the top side of 15mmol. Consoled myself with a stiff whisky.

I should also point out that I've had a good walk around my local town and completed a half hour session of interval training on my cycle trainer. This all makes me feel even more like my avatar looks like I feel.

How do you all manage to calculate and count your carbs and cals for each mouthful of food!?

I do not calculate everyday but I do go back to it when I am having too many highs-many packaged products have this information listed and the rest you can google and quickly find carb and calorie information. There are also many free apps that will do it for you but I find it faster just to add them myself. Measuring portions is integral to my carb control program though. I tend to be overgenerous in estimating how much a portion should be.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
FBG: 96 mg/dl
Breakfast: 1 packet Better Oats with flax brown sugar maple flavor, 1 cup coffee with 2 oz 2% milk (24 carbs, 190 cal)
Snack: Chobani Greek yogurt peach flavor (18 carb,120 cal ), 1/4 c. mixed sunflower, pumpkin seed, raisin, cashews, almond mix (10 carb, 160 cal)
Lunch: Ham (0 carb, 201 cal) Sandwich on whole wheat bun (20 carb,120 cal ) mayo (1 carb, 25 cal ), mustard, lettuce, tomato, water
Snack: Sesame Oat Bran sticks 1/3 c. ( 12 carb, 150 cal), water
Dinner: Beef Roast 4 oz (0 carb,480 cal ), 6 roasted baby carrots , 6 roasted red potatoes, 1/2 roasted yellow onion ( 22 carb, 194 cal), 8 oz 2% milk (11 carb,120 cal)
Total Day: (118 carb, 1760 cal )
[Also above target today on calories-Beef & veggie roast had more carbs and calories than expected]
End of day BG: 142 mg/dl

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning meal; boiled eggs chopped, green salad and mayonnaise.
Evening meal; two beefburgers and a handful of sweetcorn
Midnight watching Inspector Morse, half a dozen grapes and walnuts.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Plan for tomorrow:
B: Oatmeal with seed mix, coffee with milk
L: Salad with broccoli, carrots, onions, cheese, italian dressing and 1/3 c. sesame oat bran sticks
Snack: Apple with peanut butter
D: Eggplant Parmesan and cauliflower

This day was productive but food did not go as planned, this is what I actually ate:
B: Raisin Bran with 2% milk, coffee with 2% milk
Snack: 2 oz ham, 1 peppermint stick
L: Taco Bell beef taco, bean and beef burrito and 5 corn tortilla chips with cheese sauce, water
D: 12 oz lowfat choclate milk, salad as planned above (but without oatbran sticks) and with 3 oz added pork.

Last edited:

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that bacon around sausages? I am currently browsing the soups and stews thread for ideas for aubergine-we call it something else but I have been told that it is polite to say aubergine in UK. Do you have a good aubergine recipe?

As it happens SWUSA, yes - try this - it's bloody fantastic - you WILL use lots of olive oil so be warned - but it's totally yummy!

Imam Bayıldı - Stuffed Aubergine (Eggplant) (From petersommer.com)
The dish is simple to prepare, but it does take a little while to cook (about 1¼ hours) and cool (it is supposed to be eaten at room temperature), so make sure you allow enough time. And check that you have enough olive oil!

Ingredients (serves 4-8)

8 aubergines (eggplants)
3 medium sized onions
½ cup (4 fl oz, 125 ml) extra virgin olive oil (possibly more, according to taste)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
¼ cup (1/3 oz, 10g) chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
A good squeeze of lemon juice
½ tsp dill
½ cup (4 fl oz, 125ml) water

Wash the aubergines well and remove the stems. Peel the skin lengthwise in ½ inch strips, to give a nice striped effect. This will help the aubergine absorb the flavours while cooking, even if the stripes disappear to some extent when cooked.

Cut the aubergines in half (lengthwise), and cut a slit lengthwise in the fleshy side of each of the halves, stopping a little short of the ends. Cut onions in half (from tip to tip) and then chop into slender wedges.

Heat half of the oil in a heavy based saucepan or frying pan with a lid, and add the onions. Cook gently until they are transparent. Add the chopped garlic and cook for about a minute. Pour this mixture into a large bowl, and stir in the chopped tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper, as well as the lemon juice, dill and water, to make the mixture used for stuffing the aubergines.

Heat the remaining oil in the pan until it starts to smoke, then add the aubergines and cook over a high heat for about 5 minutes, until they are lightly browned all over, but still nice and firm. Then remove from the heat.

Arrange the aubergines in the pan with fleshy sides upwards, and spoon the filling mixture into the slits. Try to stuff in as much as possible, and spread any remaining filling on top. Drizzle with more olive oil. Put a lid on the pan and cook over a gentle heat until tender (approx. 45 minutes). Check on it occasionally, adding more water to the pan only if it is getting dry (aubergines do release a great deal of water).

Alternatively, you can arrange the stuffed aubergines in a covered oven proof dish, and cook for about 45 minutes at 180 deg. C. (PS. this is the method I prefer!)

Remove from the heat, and let the stuffed aubergines cool to room temperature. Serve as an appetizer/meze, or as a light meal with yoghurt. It can also be refrigerated and served refreshingly chilled. :hungry::hungry::hungry:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As it happens SWUSA, yes - try this - it's bloody fantastic - you WILL use lots of olive oil so be warned - but it's totally yummy!

Imam Bayıldı - Stuffed Aubergine (Eggplant) (From petersommer.com)
The dish is simple to prepare, but it does take a little while to cook (about 1¼ hours) and cool (it is supposed to be eaten at room temperature), so make sure you allow enough time. And check that you have enough olive oil!

Ingredients (serves 4-8)

8 aubergines (eggplants)
3 medium sized onions
½ cup (4 fl oz, 125 ml) extra virgin olive oil (possibly more, according to taste)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
¼ cup (1/3 oz, 10g) chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
A good squeeze of lemon juice
½ tsp dill
½ cup (4 fl oz, 125ml) water

Wash the aubergines well and remove the stems. Peel the skin lengthwise in ½ inch strips, to give a nice striped effect. This will help the aubergine absorb the flavours while cooking, even if the stripes disappear to some extent when cooked.

Cut the aubergines in half (lengthwise), and cut a slit lengthwise in the fleshy side of each of the halves, stopping a little short of the ends. Cut onions in half (from tip to tip) and then chop into slender wedges.

Heat half of the oil in a heavy based saucepan or frying pan with a lid, and add the onions. Cook gently until they are transparent. Add the chopped garlic and cook for about a minute. Pour this mixture into a large bowl, and stir in the chopped tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper, as well as the lemon juice, dill and water, to make the mixture used for stuffing the aubergines.

Heat the remaining oil in the pan until it starts to smoke, then add the aubergines and cook over a high heat for about 5 minutes, until they are lightly browned all over, but still nice and firm. Then remove from the heat.

Arrange the aubergines in the pan with fleshy sides upwards, and spoon the filling mixture into the slits. Try to stuff in as much as possible, and spread any remaining filling on top. Drizzle with more olive oil. Put a lid on the pan and cook over a gentle heat until tender (approx. 45 minutes). Check on it occasionally, adding more water to the pan only if it is getting dry (aubergines do release a great deal of water).

Alternatively, you can arrange the stuffed aubergines in a covered oven proof dish, and cook for about 45 minutes at 180 deg. C. (PS. this is the method I prefer!)

Remove from the heat, and let the stuffed aubergines cool to room temperature. Serve as an appetizer/meze, or as a light meal with yoghurt. It can also be refrigerated and served refreshingly chilled. :hungry::hungry::hungry:
Thank you, I will try this. I love eggplant and yogurt already.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not calculate everyday but I do go back to it when I am having too many highs-many packaged products have this information listed and the rest you can google and quickly find carb and calorie information. There are also many free apps that will do it for you but I find it faster just to add them myself. Measuring portions is integral to my carb control program though. I tend to be overgenerous in estimating how much a portion should be.
So do you weigh each component and constituent of each meal?

In one of your last posts you stated that you eat whole wheat buns, oats, potatoes and corn chips. If I ate ANY amount of those my BG figures would rocket!

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So do you weigh each component and constituent of each meal?

In one of your last posts you stated that you eat whole wheat buns, oats, potatoes and corn chips. If I ate ANY amount of those my BG figures would rocket!

No, the buns, oats, and corn chips all come in packages that give you carb and calorie amounts by quantity-like one whole wheat bun is 20 carbs, 1 packet of oatmeal is 24 carbs, 15 corn chips =24 carbs and like that. The french fries I count how many I eat and look it up on McDonald's website-I think I ate half an order of small fries so I just divided the carb and calories amounts in half to get the values I ate. By the way those were not my best dietary choices and except for the oatmeal I rarely eat them anymore.
I can eat 80-100 carbs over a day with no problem the next morning. I am on metformin and lantus currently. My BG skyrockets even if I eat nothing without these medications. If I exercise more than usual I can occasionally eat up to 130 carbs per day, about 45 at one time and still stay below 7.0 fasting if I am well. The whole reason I began counting carbs and calories again though was because I was having too many BG readings over 7.0 fasting and over 8.6 two hours after meals. I felt I needed to go back to basics to get a handle on it again.
I do not actually weigh anything but I do measure volumes of things-like 1 cup or 1 Tablespoon. Today was our Thanksgiving Day which I spent with family I do not see very often-I tried to eat sensibly but I ended up at the end of the day home again with a much higher than usual BG reading at this time of the evening. I am a caregiver so can not go out to exercise, and my gym is closed on this holiday anyway, but will do some extra exercise here at home to try to bring my BG down. If my BG readings are decent over the next few days I will only count and measure for new foods but I already know what my standard foods do to my BG with my current medication at my current weight so do not need to pay so close attention to them. I hope that helps clarify for you-if you have further questions please ask me.

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
FBG: 114
B:1 packet Better Oats with flax brown sugar maple flavor, 1 cup coffee with 2 oz 2% milk (24 carbs, 190 cal)
L: 6 rosemary and olive oil Triscuit, (20 carb, 120 cal ), 3 tablespoons cream cheese with smoked salmon ( 3 carb, 105 cal ), coffee with 2% milk ( 3 carb, 30 cal )
Snack: 1/4 c. Sunflower, raisin, pumpkin seed, cashew and almonds ( 10 carb, 160 cal), unsweetened ice tea
D: Steak and Shake single original with cheese (31 carb, 330 calories), 1/4 regular order french fries ( 15 carb, 110 calories) unsweetened ice tea

Daily Totals: (106 carb, 1045 cal)

End of day BG: 133

Last edited: