Why do some fat people not get diabetes

add19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simple answer is genetics - whether or not a person gets type 2 diabetes depends on a combination of the genes they are born with and interaction with the environment / behaviour eg whether or not they become overweight.

So, with some genes, people will get type 2 diabetes even if they never become overweight, and some people will be come overweight, but never get type 2 diabetes. It's about reducing / increasing risks, not guarantees.

But, not becoming overweight has other benefits eg reducing risks of heart disease, reducing stress on joints etc.
Exactly. nature and nurture. if one consumes sugary drinks more than his/her parents makes him/her prone to T2

Worrierfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading posts about how carb reduction has so paid off is good to hear but is very frustrating since I have severely reduced carbs for well over a year and no sugar. No white. No bread. None. Not a mouthful
No rice. No pasta. No no no. Protein and fats. Eggs bacon chicken salmon salad.
Do not lose. .I am not on meds. I seem to keep glucose levels in good ppl range but fasting remains high.
I really don't get it. So I seem locked into this eating forever but no reward as many of you have with weight loss and lower levels. And I do exercise every day. But my enthusiasm is waning. My question is...stress is off the charts...family illness etc
Could that do it???

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Reading posts about how carb reduction has so paid off is good to hear but is very frustrating since I have severely reduced carbs for well over a year and no sugar. No white. No bread. None. Not a mouthful
Do not lose. .I am not on meds. I seem to keep glucose levels in good ppl range but fasting remains high.
I really don't get it. So I seem locked into this eating forever but no reward as many of you have with weight loss and lower levels. And I do exercise every day. But my enthusiasm is waning. My question is...stress is off the charts...family illness etc
Could that do it???
Yes stress can do it. I have the same problem, I have stopped losing even though I am following LCHF properly at about 20 grams per day. In my case I think that high inflammation levels and other autoimmune conditions is the source of most of my stress. It is physical stress. Emotional stress can be just as bad and can certainly affect both glucose levels and weight.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Guilt by association. I am diabetic yet people don't understand why I am not fat. Preconception in a nut shell.
Yes couldn't agree more, the insulin resistance actually stops you from putting weight on past certain point, because your fat cells are resistant as well. I read somewhere that it's too many lipids in your cells that causes them to become resistant to insulin, a way of protecting themselves, this caused by vegetable oils. Which are more damaging to health than animal fats.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am obese BMI 40.0 and I have been diagnosed with Diabetes. I am 32 so I thought i had time to loose weight and get into shape. I wanted to know why it is some people who are obese in there 40 and 50s don't get diabetes? 32 is youngish to get type 2 diabetes, i would have thought.
Same reason I suppose why some really slim people get diabetes and others don't

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Could that do it???
Certainly could. At least partly because real, prolonged unhappiness creates a "couldn't care less" attitude in people. You are doing well to hold it together with the diet.
If your diet is keeping your BGs in the normal range that is the absolute optimal result.
Some people can lose enormous amounts of weight on a LCHF diet. Cruelly they are usually men, younger, and its their first attempt at weight loss.
The rest of us lose about 10% of our weight when we first start LCHF then stabilise. probably because we have reached the optimum situation where the calories we are eating match the calories we are burning. The good point is you don't gain weight very easily on LCHF.
Who cares? Good health is the most important benefit.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well the most intelligent approach from health authorities would be to try to catch as many prediabetics as possible and change their food habits and in general warn People of eating more than about 150 gram of carbs a day f which under one third could be fluor sugar and glucose

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In order to do so they would have to admit to giving bad advice for the last few decades I don't see that happening. They eventually will change the dietary advice but I would think it will be a long drawn out process in order to cover their asses.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Yes couldn't agree more, the insulin resistance actually stops you from putting weight on past certain point, because your fat cells are resistant as well. I read somewhere that it's too many lipids in your cells that causes them to become resistant to insulin, a way of protecting themselves, this caused by vegetable oils. Which are more damaging to health than animal fats.
Don't say that I start my day off with a tablespoonful of coconut oil!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Coconut oil is largely saturated fat and is fine. It is the refined veg oils like canola and sunflower that are bad. Margarine should never be eaten and should have a biohazard sign on it.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Coconut oil is largely saturated fat and is fine. It is the refined veg oils like canola and sunflower that are bad. Margarine should never be eaten and should have a biohazard sign on it.
My thoughts too. Funny how as saturated fat consumption has gone done down, heart disease, diabetes and obesity has gone up.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In order to do so they would have to admit to giving bad advice for the last few decades I don't see that happening. They eventually will change the dietary advice but I would think it will be a long drawn out process in order to cover their asses.
I'd love to lose weight on lchf to prove just that. Without a loss my dietician and endocrologist won't listen. Humf!
My dn thinks I'm fanatical to get those good bgs and want me to see a psychiatrist. For the love of god!

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could that do it???
Stress is definitely a significant factor. When i started on my LCHF journey i found that my weight did not drop significantly. After a few weeks i decided to add 5/2 fasting into the mix. I found fasting much easier than i expected probably because the HF makes me feel fuller for longer.

I am very pleased with the results so far. Perhaps IF is something you co

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry. Should have said .....could consider if weightloss is your target.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could that do it???

Yup.

There are lot of different things that can affect/slow/prevent weight loss on a LC diet.
Here are some.
stress
hormonal imbalances such as hypothyroid, PCOS, menopausal stuff, raised cortisol, adrenalin issues
eating too little
eating too much
excessive inactivity
insomnia
too many carbs
not drinking enough (I kid you not)
hyperinsulinemia
too much protein

You will notice that some of those are under our control, and some of them just are not. :(

Lots of people have lots of ideas on how to tackle it. I have tried lots of them. ;)
You can try reading up on Eric Berg (hormones) and Jason Fung (fasting to lower background insulin levels), and check for hidden carbs.

Me? I tried everything, varying calories, varying carbs, dropping protein, intermittent fasting... and recently decided to go gluten free. Properly gluten free, not just cutting grains, but cutting anything a grain has ever breathed on - and lost 4 pounds quite quickly. Far too early to claim that This Is The Answer! but interesting enough to carry on...

So all I can say is keep looking. Sooner or later, you may find a solution, but you may have to turn over a lot a rocks to find the one your body needs.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It the same as smokers, not all smokers will get lung cancer, breathing conditions, mouth or throat cancer.

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same reason some fat people don`t get Heart Attacks , Strokes ,Cancer etc

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there any fat people anymore?
I have been led to believe that some people have issues with their weight but they are not fat.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No they're fat. and most of them are queuing out of the door of our local chip shop most nights.