High blood sugar readings

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, my first tests the last 3 mornings have been over17.0 then I'm fine through the day then at night its high again.i do have an eating disorder but I'm really trying to sort that out with help from my nurse.ive only been eating what they call good foodbut I admit I dont eat a lot.also I had a shock (I got some bad news) would this affect my test results.my nurse also took my blood to do another Hbalc test.thankyou in advance x

Reactions: Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Jogreen21 - Hi :). Worry, Stress, illness and some medications can all push up Blood Sugars. Just take things in your stride and one day at a time. Are you drinking plenty of sugar free fluids - especially water?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong, my first tests the last 3 mornings have been over17.0 then I'm fine through the day then at night its high again.i do have an eating disorder but I'm really trying to sort that out with help from my nurse.ive only been eating what they call good foodbut I admit I dont eat a lot.also I had a shock (I got some bad news) would this affect my test results.my nurse also took my blood to do another Hbalc test.thankyou in advance x

yes a shock can raise ones blood glucose dramatically , but that would be all day around I´d think, but not like going down all day regulary and up in the evening and then up in the morning again... if you try waking up yourself in the middle of the night and measure your blood glucose there too... see if it is about to get too low there ?

what medications are you on ?

how many grams of carbs do you eat in a day ?

try to only eat like 100grams of carbs in a day, if that doesn´t help then maybe you are needing a better excamination to see if you need another kind of treatment..

maybe you eat too little and your liver is used to compensate and then producing far too much glucose from proteins, could also take proteins from ones muscles if not eating enough proteins on a daily basis..

to a woman 0,8 grams of proteins per kg bodyweight is about what one needs... so if one weighs 50 kg then like 40 grams of protein a day, to make sure the body doesn´t eat itself from the wrong parts ...

1 egg is about 7 grams of protein..

Last edited:

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm going to see a diabetic doctor on 20th dec but I'm gettintg scared with the high results.i'm eating bacon sausage egg cheese brown bread (1 slice only) fruit chicken jacket potato and veg, obviously not all at once but these foods are what I can tolerate,are any of these wrong for me? X

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may find that the bread and the jacket potato are contributors to raising BS

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is nothing wrong with bacon, egg, chicken and cheese. The fruit depends how much you eat. Fruit is full of sugar. The potato and bread aren't wonderful choices either. The veggies - depends which sort you eat.

Are you testing before you eat and a couple of hours later? If so, what sort of rises do you see. If not, I suggest you start doing this.

What diabetes medication are you on?

Reactions: Prem51

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Try not to eat too close to bedtime. Have time to fast before you sleep, as the metabolism wanes during the sleeping hours. Get into a routine to make it easy to accomplish. But remember to also set a time in the early hours to test BGL's for potential hypos.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just an ordinary apple of 100 grams has about 14 grams of carbs.... many type 2 can only keep a normal level of blood glucose on less than 80 grams of carbs a day
But eating very little over all day probably too little compared to the bodies needs... maybe it is not the eaten carbs that is the main reason to the very high blood glucose...

Thats why I suggest an overactive liver as a reaction towards and compensating anorexcia.or similar eating disturbance..

But if one eats less than ones body needs in calories...one usually loose weight, but maybe after very long periods of not eating enough one could maybe have develloped a permanently overactive liver that spits out too much glucose on a daily basis much more than the body needs... many type 2 diabetics have such an over active liver and therefore get these high blood glucose numbers in the mornings... not maybe due to having being eating too little prior to diabetes, but a kind of eating disturbances like anorexcia or similar combined with type 2 diabetes maybe doubles that phenomenon... this is just a thought of mine, don´t see this as a medical theory in any ways..

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yes, a shock could affect your blood sugar and make it high.

Don't be too hard on yourself while you're dealing with your eating disorder. Once you get help with that, you may very well see smoother blood sugars.

If you get a high test, wash your hands and test again to confirm it's correct. That's important as even a tiny, invisible amount of something on your finger can affect the reading.

What's your blood sugar before you go to bed?

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You may find that the bread and the jacket potato are contributors to raising BS
Yes, a shock could affect your blood sugar and make it high.

Don't be too hard on yourself while you're dealing with your eating disorder. Once you get help with that, you may very well see smoother blood sugars.

If you get a high test, wash your hands and test again to confirm it's correct. That's important as even a tiny, invisible amount of something on your finger can affect the reading.

What's your blood sugar before you go to bed?

its always high on morning and night

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What diabetic meds are you on?

I believe the OP has said she's diet controlled on another thread.

@Jogreen21 I don't know if you feel able to write down a day's food and test results so you can get more specific suggestions. If you don't want to do this, then that's perfectly ok :)

I recommend something like MyFitnessPal so you can get an idea of how many carbs, etc, you're eating in a day. That way you could see if there are any obvious areas where you may need to make adjustments.

I would also have a chat to your diabetes nurse and see what they suggest. If you're eating moderately and still getting high numbers, then it would be good to have a chat to them.

You may not be able to do this, but if you can, I also recommend having a routine and having similar things for your meals and at similar times. I know that might be hard with an eating disorder so please get support and help and don't rush that. But, in general, spreading your carbs through thevday rather than having all of them at one time can help, for example.

I also suggest testing 90 mins to 2 hrs after eating. You will then see the affect certain meals have on your blood sugar.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say that the bread, fruit, potato, and any starchy vegetables are the source of your high readings.
If you weigh the amounts, or look up on the packet, then calculate the amount of carbs you are eating then you'll see why you are getting high blood sugars.
I try to avoid anything which is more than 10 percent carbs as an absolute maximum. I eat berries and melons and nuts in moderation, living mainly off proteins with their natural fats, plus salad. I eat cheese, but not every day, mushrooms, tomatoes, cauliflower are bought in rotation so I don't get too bored.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I
There is nothing wrong with bacon, egg, chicken and cheese. The fruit depends how much you eat. Fruit is full of sugar. The potato and bread aren't wonderful choices either. The veggies - depends which sort you eat.

Are you testing before you eat and a couple of hours later? If so, what sort of rises do you see. If not, I suggest you start doing this.

What diabetes medication are you on?
'm

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not on medication as I dont see the diabetes doctor at hospital until 20th dec.i really appreciate everyones comments and I realise everyones different and has their own problems, my problem is I'm bulimic. Ive had eating disorders all my adult life but I am truly trying to conquer the one thing that has ruined me and caused me to have diabetes and osteoperosis.ive had one hip replacement done 3months ago and having the other one done after xmas. The truth is I make myself sick,but only with what I call bad foods.i can eat veg,lettuce,cucumber chicken breast,bacon,mushrooms egg and cheese usually without being sick.if I eat bread any cake or pastry,icecream etc I'm sick
Ive told you this because I need help,my doctor isnt very good as he admits to knowing nothing about eating disorders and refsrred me to MIND. I sat an opened up to a stranger,I told her everything and felt good I'd told someone I thought was going to help me,all she did to help was send me a letter telling me someone will ring me on 15th dec to ASSESS ME!!!! I'd told her everything for nothing. How is a phonecall going to help me?? I'm so scared now I'm diabetic and I dont know who to turn to.thats why I know this site has people who card and if I have problems I can post it on this site and people who care read my posts and try go help me.i truly hope to conquer my eating disorder,I have no choice now.thankyou for reading my post. X

Reactions: SHELLEB

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're eating high carb things and then vomiting them back up, you might still be absorbing some of the carbs in them. Not only that, I believe vomiting itself can affect your blood sugar. I tell you that so you can understand that your high sugars might be due to that, and are not your fault.

Bulimia can be reinforcing in a way, as vomiting sends the body's systems a little into overdrive and then you might get feelings of hunger or cravings because of that, so it's a vicious circle.

Have you contacted these people?:

https://www.b-eat.co.uk

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I believe the OP has said she's diet controlled on another thread.

@Jogreen21 I don't know if you feel able to write down a day's food and test results so you can get more specific suggestions. If you don't want to do this, then that's perfectly ok :)

I recommend something like MyFitnessPal so you can get an idea of how many carbs, etc, you're eating in a day. That way you could see if there are any obvious areas where you may need to make adjustments.

I would also have a chat to your diabetes nurse and see what they suggest. If you're eating moderately and still getting high numbers, then it would be good to have a chat to them.

You may not be able to do this, but if you can, I also recommend having a routine and having similar things for your meals and at similar times. I know that might be hard with an eating disorder so please get support and help and don't rush that. But, in general, spreading your carbs through thevday rather than having all of them at one time can help, for example.

I also suggest testing 90 mins to 2 hrs after eating. You will then see the affect certain meals have on your blood sugar.
Yes I'm diet controlled but how can I do it when I dont have a diet? Now ive been honest with you I will explain my eating habits.i will put a bowl of frozen veg in microwave and eat it. The next day will be the same and I will eat veg everyday for maybe 2 or 3 weeks til I get sick of veg.then I might eat beetroot everyday til I get sick of it and then eat a boiled egg each day,somstimes its yoghurt sometimes its banana sometimes its baked beans. I also have nut allergies anx I'm also allergic to berries,raisins,currants,melon and quite a lot more,if I eat these foods I go into anaphylactic shock and my boyfriend has to inject me with adreniline.its so hard for me.today I tried bacon egg and beans but was sick yet again.my tests today have bedn 17-9, 10-4, 14-4,11-2 ,17-2 and the days not over yet.some days I feel like just giving in as I'm getting nowhere.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm wondering if a psychotherapist might be able to help. Can I ask - do you eat the same food for two weeks out of guilt, out of a taste for it, out of a way to not have to think about what to eat, or to kind of offset your eating/vomiting?

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My diabetes nurse I saw a couple of days ago said she thinks my liver is producing too much sugar.she took blood from me for another hba1c test. If this is true should I be on medication? My main problem (other than eating) is I get severe burning in my thighs and and arms and feet.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do it because I know these foods wont make me sick so I know I can eat them
Since being diagnosed ive tried bacon sausage chicken pears cuppa soup cheese (which I love but can only eat a little) ive been trying to introduce a new food daily but its not really working.i'm desperate.someone suggested trying some sort of drinks I could ask my doctor for but I dont know if I can have them if I'm diabetic x