High blood sugar readings

D

debrasue

Thanks again everyone, I feel like a have a new family.ive put my feelings of failure awayband am focussing on the positive.(when I can find positive mind you!lol) x
You're certainly NOT a failure - by doing what you've done already, you've proved that. And we ARE your family on here - a massive one, so there will be lots of people who will be able to relate to and empathise with many, many of the feelings you'll experience. Keep sharing, keep reading the forums, and you'll continue to be a winner. Hugs xx

D

debrasue

i will hear from my gp on monday to find out if hes going to prescribe me metformin (his suggestion) but he needs to discuss it first with a dietician.hence having to wait til monday.i dont really know anything about the metformin other than lots of people take it.i would just love even one day of 'normal' readings.
Could I just add a note of caution? Please don't build your hopes up too high on Metformin being the wonder drug which is going to solve all your problems in an instant. I say that for two reasons; firstly because your GP may decide he's not able to prescribe it right away, and secondly because, although it's undeniably a very good and helpful drug, my perception is that it's not designed to produce miracle cures overnight.
You are already doing all the right things, even without Metformin, and you will soon start to see results. Build your hopes on your own phenomenal strength and courage, which you are so clearly demonstrating on here, and which won't let you down. Any other aids along the way are a bonus.
I've heard it said many times that diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint, and that's very true. We're all in it for the long haul, and slow, steady progress is the name of the game. But as you'll see when you start exploring the forum, there's nothing to say we can't have a little fun along the way! (Come and check us out on General Chat: What Are You Doing Right Now?...) ;)
Hugs xx

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ive just got back from my walk and about to test.ive given up having high expectations about anything as it never works out.but since being diagnosed I know I have to address this in the correct way,slowly but surely.if I'm prescribed metformin then I am, if not thats fine too.i'm just concentrating on my eating.ive never had the determination that I have now and with help from all of you on here (I'm truly amazed at how many have wished me well) I am going to do it.thankyou x x x

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Could I just add a note of caution? Please don't build your hopes up too high on Metformin being the wonder drug which is going to solve all your problems in an instant. I say that for two reasons; firstly because your GP may decide he's not able to prescribe it right away, and secondly because, although it's undeniably a very good and helpful drug, my perception is that it's not designed to produce miracle cures overnight.
You are already doing all the right things, even without Metformin, and you will soon start to see results. Build your hopes on your own phenomenal strength and courage, which you are so clearly demonstrating on here, and which won't let you down. Any other aids along the way are a bonus.
I've heard it said many times that diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint, and that's very true. We're all in it for the long haul, and slow, steady progress is the name of the game. But as you'll see when you start exploring the forum, there's nothing to say we can't have a little fun along the way! (Come and check us out on General Chat: What Are You Doing Right Now?...) ;)
Hugs xx
I ate my egg and 2 mushrooms I went for a walk with the dog.over an hour and a half has elapsed so I tested (and retested) and its 17-9. I feel like ive been slapped in the face

S

serenity648

Guilt, feeling punished - they are all part of your brain lying to you. There are several of us on here who have, or have had eating disorders. I think there is a section on it, as it is a big hurdle for many. I had anoroxia in my teens/early twenties and then, later in life, binge eating issues, which I still battle with occasionally, as well as depression and anxiety and panic attacks. And I am not the only one on here with food related issues.

It is NOT your fault, and you are not being punished for being ill. An eating disorder is an illness. Mental problems just mean brain chemistry problems, or reactions to influences outside your control. In the same way as any other illness.

You are not alone here.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I got my diagnosis I was told that when the test was done, mid afternoon, my BG was 17.1. I started to eat low carb again straight away, but it took some time before I was back in ketosis, and when I got my meter two weeks later I was seeing readings of 9 and 10. In the says which followed I could see them going down, and the averages for the first week are higher than for the second. It will take time for low carb eating to have an effect, but it will. It is a way of eating which is for life, in more than one way - you have to stick to it and wait for your body to feel the benefits.

S

serenity648

I ate my egg and 2 mushrooms I went for a walk with the dog.over an hour and a half has elapsed so I tested (and retested) and its 17-9. I feel like ive been slapped in the face

Can you ignore your readings for a few days? maybe not test for a few days? It wont make a difference in the long run and stress/anxiety gives high readings, so that may be affecting you badly. It took me 3 weeks for my reading to stabilize when I altered my diet.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Its my readings that make me want to eat something.but maybe you're right but I fear the testing may be on its way to being an addiction,if I dont do it I cant concentrate on anything.i am feelingvrather overwhelmed with numbers though, carbs,fats,protein,testing. It is a lot to sink in at first x

D

debrasue

It's early days, honey - don't let it get you down. Put that one behind you, resolve to stay strong, and move on.
Once you have nailed this, the clapping and cheering from the forum is going to be deafening! :)

D

debrasue

Its my readings that make me want to eat something.but maybe you're right but I fear the testing may be on its way to being an addiction,if I dont do it I cant concentrate on anything.i am feelingvrather overwhelmed with numbers though, carbs,fats,protein,testing. It is a lot to sink in at first x
Yes, it is a lot to sink in, but you'll be astonished at how quickly you pick it all up. :)

Reactions: Jogreen21

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs xx

I was going o say exactly the same thing, the real key to your health is fixing your eating and that will be true with or without the metformin. Your numbers will get better with a few days of proper low carb nourishment, so don't let whatever the doctors do or do not want to do get in the way of that.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Guilt, feeling punished - they are all part of your brain lying to you. There are several of us on here who have, or have had eating disorders. I think there is a section on it, as it is a big hurdle for many. I had anoroxia in my teens/early twenties and then, later in life, binge eating issues, which I still battle with occasionally, as well as depression and anxiety and panic attacks. And I am not the only one on here with food related issues.

It is NOT your fault, and you are not being punished for being ill. An eating disorder is an illness. Mental problems just mean brain chemistry problems, or reactions to influences outside your control. In the same way as any other illness.

You are not alone here.
I do feel so much better since finding the forum and have been reading other peoples stories.i feel so glad I'm not alone in this (I have struggled for years without having anyone to talk to) I'm not on here for people to feel sorry for me I'm here to get help from people like you who have been there. I dont know what I'd do without the forum.my neighbour who ive not seen for a while saw me setting out for a walk earlier and said jo,you're looking chirpy and I replied yes I am..and I am. Come hell or high water I will do this.well over 24hrs without vomitting and despite the high test results as they say in the song "I'M FEELING GOOD x x x

D

debrasue

I do feel so much better since finding the forum and have been reading other peoples stories.i feel so glad I'm not alone in this (I have struggled for years without having anyone to talk to) I'm not on here for people to feel sorry for me I'm here to get help from people like you who have been there. I dont know what I'd do without the forum.my neighbour who ive not seen for a while saw me setting out for a walk earlier and said jo,you're looking chirpy and I replied yes I am..and I am. Come hell or high water I will do this.well over 24hrs without vomitting and despite the high test results as they say in the song "I'M FEELING GOOD x x x
images

D

debrasue

Am I ok to eat a mullerlight goodies yoghurt.it has 14.1 carbs.of which 13.1 are sugars. 3.5g protein and its.99 calories??
Well, it's certainly not going to kill you, but it's not going to do anything to bring your BGs down, either. Eating one of those would give me a spike in BG.
But having said that, I think - as a couple of other members have said - that in your circumstances it's probably better at this early stage to concentrate on breaking the cycle of eating/vomiting. So, if that yoghurt is what you really want, you have it to hand, and you're confident you can keep it down, it's better than nothing.
On the other hand, any "light" products usually contain more sugar or salt to make them more palatable once the fat has been removed, so it's a good idea to avoid them if you can. Natural full-fat Greek yoghurt is a great way to go for the future, and you can flavour it with some mashed-up sugar-free fruit. It has the added benefit that the fat satisfies your appetite, too.

Jogreen21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, it's certainly not going to kill you, but it's not going to do anything to bring your BGs down, either. Eating one of those would give me a spike in BG.
But having said that, I think - as a couple of other members have said - that in your circumstances it's probably better at this early stage to concentrate on breaking the cycle of eating/vomiting. So, if that yoghurt is what you really want, you have it to hand, and you're confident you can keep it down, it's better than nothing.
On the other hand, any "light" products usually contain more sugar or salt to make them more palatable once the fat has been removed, so it's a good idea to avoid them if you can. Natural full-fat Greek yoghurt is a great way to go for the future, and you can flavour it with some mashed-up sugar-free fruit. It has the added benefit that the fat satisfies your appetite, too.
Thanks for that .I may eat the yoghurt in a while but not the sweet meringue pieces that come with it.weve got a fridge full of food but its one thing (the yoghurt) that took my fancy for my tea.then I can honestly say ive eaten twice today..x

D

debrasue

As you can tolerate eggs, you could make a sugar-free custard for a change - do you think you could tolerate that?
Just heat some (full fat) cream in a saucepan, add some vanilla and sweetener of your choice (I usually use Triple Zero Stevia) and slowly add beaten eggs (slowly so they don't scramble!). Then just heat it over a medium heat until it thickens, but you have to stir it constantly until it does.
Can you eat apples? A cored apple, stuffed with a few sultanas and some mixed spice and then baked in the oven is yummy with this custard!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As you can tolerate eggs, you could make a sugar-free custard for a change - do you think you could tolerate that?
Just heat some (full fat) cream in a saucepan, add some vanilla and sweetener of your choice (I usually use Triple Zero Stevia) and slowly add beaten eggs (slowly so they don't scramble!). Then just heat it over a medium heat until it thickens, but you have to stir it constantly until it does.
Can you eat apples? A cored apple, stuffed with a few sultanas and some mixed spice and then baked in the oven is yummy with this custard!

Heck, that sounds delicious!!!!

Reactions: debrasue

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You are definitely not alone here!!

Every single one of us will
have an addiction/problem of some sort.... even this week in the media it said people can become addicted to god. I have a friend addicted!

So
Although not technically I suppose an addiction as such.... bulimia is a problem... may be nearing a n addiction of a sort.

I firmly believe that everybody will have a problem and the people here only want to see problems gone and you fulfilling your deeams....