Collecting Prescriptions as part of your exercise

Slalom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Apologies to anyone who has no good access to a pharmacy, can not get to one due to their condition.or is in a high pollution area.

Charlotte DCUK has twice sent me a Get your NHS prescriptions Delivered free, this week. Hence this rant.

I thought exercise was important for us diabetics. My view is that we should incorporate exercise into our health regime and I find that I can pick up my Prescription continue to the chemist, wait, and then walk home in less than 40 minutes. Also I can do a little top up shopping if necessary.

Does anyone else think Charlotte Message should be more nuanced?

Reactions: 13lizanne

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL get your prescription delivered along with your pizza! it is ironic.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I remember getting my local pharmacy to do this. one morning I popped in as I was getting uncomfortably low on my metformin so I asked for more, 'oliver style'. The snotty woman told me exactly how many I should have left and told me they would be delivered when they decided I needed more. I informed her I was an adult and I, as the customer would decide when I wanted more. I promptly canceled their nonsense and went back to getting my own prescription on my terms. Never again!

Reactions: KezG

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I thought exercise was important for us diabetics.

It is important.

I've not received the email but would imagine the contents don't discourage exercising, but any prescription delivery service serves a purpose for those who find it difficult to attend a pharmacy in person......be it through ill-health or work commitments etc.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It is important.

I've not received the email but would imagine the contents don't discourage exercising, but any prescription delivery service serves a purpose for those who find it difficult to attend a pharmacy in person......be it through ill-health or work commitments etc.
I totally agree.
It obviously depends on what you need.
I'd be there most days as my repeat prescription is no longer on a batch.
Of course on ill days what will I do. Do without?
Most meds now are tightly controlled due to wastage.
I'm on medications for 3 other medical conditions so if i only had metformin to pick every 3 months, I'd walk too. I'd have a month to pick a good day to do it on too.
Everyone is different and I'm thankful to my delivery service. I'm easily confused so god knows what mess I'd make of it if I had to pay for transport on heavy rainy days. Nope. I don't see it as an unnecessary aid. I'm thankful for mine!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My pharmacy doesn't deliver but I wish they did! It's not always convenient to get to the chemist to collect things.

I don't think the email discourages exercise - just offers a choice for those with busy lives :)

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I started having my meds delivered after an operation left me with sepsis for five months and I was very glad indeed of the service as were our district nurses who could order what they needed for me by email or phone and have it delivered directly to me. It's also a great boon for our 94yr old neighbour who doesn't like asking too many "favours" of us.
p.s I can walk (and do so) to our pharmacy in 3 mins but still appreciated the service when I needed it

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My pharmacy would deliver but I would rather order and collect my own prescriptions. I trust myself to get what I need before I need it, I don't want someone else controlling what I have and when I have it. I also order and collect both my adult sons' prescriptions.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think prescription delivery is a great service, and we can always choose whether to take advantage of it, or not. For those who are immobile, housebound or too busy, it must be a God Send. Most of my exercise is dog walking, and I am not leaving the mutts tied up outside the docs and pharmacy while I go inside. I never know how long it will take, because there is often some kind of error or mistake on the prescription, which can be quite time consuming. For the same reason, I stopped doing that auto service with my nearest pharmacy. They were forever having to contact the doc to sort something out.

The best service I have used was postal, but it all fell apart when my doc introduced absurdly regular Medication Reviews for a med I will be on for decades. Sigh. I ended up having to go through the Set Up process about 3 times in 12 months, and that just made it more hassle than it was worth.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder how much £££s incentive is involved, hence offering a delivery service can be an inticement for people to use the particular pharmacy/ies that offer such a service, therefore making more money for dispensing the prescriptions???

If that's the case, I'm not sure where DCUK is on this. Do they dispense too, or are they just offering delivery, if you see what I mean???

Thanks

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I thought exercise was important for us diabetics. My view is that we should incorporate exercise into our health regime and I find that I can pick up my Prescription continue to the chemist, wait, and then walk home in less than 40 minutes. Also I can do a little top up shopping if necessary.

Some people are house bound so rely on pharmacies delivering their meds and many people also live in a rural area with no buses with the nearest pharmacy being a 14 mile round trip.
I would suggest the email you have is just a mass email to all und sundry on the data base.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I used to work at a pharmacy and we had a few deliveries to do, it was a family run business and many were elderly, At my dad's pharmacy I had his medication delivered to my house, so I knew what he got and it was safe with me until I took it to his house, where it went under lock and key. I never even gave it a thought about 'not exercising', I am on the go a lot anyway, but I do collect my own scripts and my pharmacy do offer home deliveries.
We could always exercise whilst waiting for the delivery, I wouldn't be sitting around lol

Reactions: noblehead
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I wonder how much £££s incentive is involved, hence offering a delivery service can be an inticement for people to use the particular pharmacy/ies that offer such a service, therefore making more money for dispensing the prescriptions???

If that's the case, I'm not sure where DCUK is on this. Do they dispense too, or are they just offering delivery, if you see what I mean???

Thanks

I know DCUK do dispense a lot of information.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I would love to have my presciption delivered to me. Whenever I go to the chemist I am in there for upto half an hour waiting, either its not ready or its being checked does my head in and makes me so angry!!

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Apologies to anyone who has no good access to a pharmacy, can not get to one due to their condition.or is in a high pollution area.

Charlotte DCUK has twice sent me a Get your NHS prescriptions Delivered free, this week. Hence this rant.

Does anyone else think Charlotte Message should be more nuanced?
It's a service available to those that need it or want it.

You coud also say the same about the EPS, i tried it ut it failed on a number of occasions simply because my prescription includes lancets abd when it did go into the system it got lost there.

I collect my paper prescription from the surgery and go to my pharmacy, now my pharmacy is really good I'm mostly greeted with my first name and the opening hours suit my shift pattern being open from 0700hrs 5 days a week and open till 2200 hrs 7 days a week.

I drive to both the surgery and pharmacy but do a lot of walking at work.

Regards

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I remember getting my local pharmacy to do this. one morning I popped in as I was getting uncomfortably low on my metformin so I asked for more, 'oliver style'. The snotty woman told me exactly how many I should have left and told me they would be delivered when they decided I needed more. I informed her I was an adult and I, as the customer would decide when I wanted more. I promptly canceled their nonsense and went back to getting my own prescription on my terms. Never again!
I had a rant forming and so headed to this area of the forum and found this thread. I live in the USA so my issue is very similar but nuanced a little differently. I take a lot of medication for asthma, diabetes, gout, severe allergies, mild depression and the various other occasional infection or injury. We have a new healthcare system which I worked long and hard to help get into place. Our pharmacy costs are skyrocketing. Every year in January our plans change.
I care for my mother who has dementia-she also takes several medications. We use the same health insurance company but because of our ages the same plan is not available to both of us. We have different preferred pharmacies for our healthcare plans. We use trips to the pharmacy as outings-we try to go somewhere at least once a day. Yesterday I went to collect my insulin which I had waited to order because my insurance would not cover it until yesterday-they thought I was using too much? When I was checking out the clerk informed me that my they were no longer a preferred pharmacy for my insurance plan. Mind you I had been in two days before to pick up other medications and they had not said anything about it-only that my insurance wouldn't cover my insulin until January 10th. So she could not fill my prescription. Actually the way it's supposed to work is they fill it and I have to pay for it if my insurance doesn't cover it but she knows me and knows that I will not pay $2465.84 for insulin-which is what they are charging my insurance company. She suggested another pharmacy across the street.
My blood sugar was low because we had just come from exercise class. I told her I would call my insurance company and find out which pharmacy was on the preferred list now and have my prescriptions transferred.I tested my blood sugar there in the waiting area, bought some chocolate milk and cookie for mom and treated my low. I called my insurance company. They informed me that CVS (the pharmacy) had dropped the contract for my plan. Yes, I'm naming names on the blood sucking profiteers. My insurance company is complicit though because they changed me to a different plan starting January 1st even though I asked to stay on the same plan which was continued. The insurance company apparently segregated high usage customers into a separate plan so it was easy for CVS to continue contracting to provide for lower usage customers who let then auto-fill prescriptions and dissect the lower profit customers. I have opted to order my medications as I need them and manage my copays and collection times to fit my care schedule and budget.
The customer service person on the phone at my insurance company was very helpful after I reached her. I had to hold for 20 minutes before reaching her. This is apparently happening to a lot of people this week. She suggested two pharmacies within reasonable distance that are on the preferred list now. I chose one that I already shop at for other things. The insurance customer service person actually called them and set up a transfer of all my medications. The pharmacists from the two pharmacies had to communicate to complete the transfer and this took a few hours. I took mom grocery shopping while we waited. I went to pick up the insulin again. They wanted a $100.00 copay at the new pharmacy. I did not have $100.00 available to pick it up and asked them to hold it until today. I told them I did not have $100.00 copays on my plan-they are $5.00 or $15.00 as stated on my insurance card. The pharmacist suggested I call my insurance company again. I told her my cell phone was dead and she let me use their phone. It was dinner time by then and mom was tired and hungry. The insurance company put me on hold again, mom had an accident, and my frozen food was melting. I told the pharmacist I was going to hang up that it had taken 45 minutes on the phone earlier and I needed to go feed mom.
I went home and charged the phone, transferred money into my account to pay for the insulin and gave mom a bath and fed her. It is the next day, my blood sugars are running high and we are going to get my insulin again as soon as mom finishes eating lunch. I will call the insurance company after we get home or tomorrow.
My insurance company customer service people are very helpful and nice but this is exactly why I wanted a single payer system. My monthly insurance copay is over $2000.00 per month but I get a tax subsidy that pays most of it. I should not be having to run around for three days trying to get my insulin prescription filled. There were several older people at the new pharmacy shocked by their new copays also and struggling to buy medicine and food-that's the thing with insulin-you have to eat with it or it will result in low blood sugars that can kill you or result in brain damage-Don't take it and you get high blood sugars whether you eat or not and diabetic complications or death.
It seems the pharmaceutical companies are actually the villains here-who knew they would take advantage of a captive, contracted market to skyrocket their profits? The insurance companies are taking advantage of the situation for sure but they are at least trying to help people get care-the pharmacies seem to be trying to make life saving medications out of reach to those of us who need them.
I strongly support Obamacare-it was the best we could get through at the time and we had been working to get healthcare for everyone for so long-but the pharmacies and insurance companies need to be reigned in- you can not scrap this system and start over because we are dealing with many fragile lives here-some people simply can not go without their medications and live. Coverage needs to be continuously maintained for people to live and reduce complications from their chronic illnesses-we are talking about almost everyone's grandmother and grandfather, or mother and father, or child. We will have far more cost to the American healthcare system if the healthcare we have now is denied to those with chronic illnesses.
Okay rant over, I am going to pick up my insulin now.

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Thank you for the hug. I got there and back safely. My new pharmacist called my insurance company for me yesterday and found that my new copay for this medication is $100.00. I picked it up but will have to find $100.00 in the budget somewhere. I will have to have my doctor write a formulary exception to get it waived for next month. I will work on this next. I have a throbbing tooth that acted up a few months ago but responded to antibiotics. It is acting up again only with more pain this time-making it difficult to eat salads and whole foods. I think getting this taken care of will take precedent over insulin acquisition for a few days. Also mom needs a few refills also. We will be going to her pharmacy tomorrow. Do you ever feel like a little smurf-gathering, gathering, gathering blue berries?

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, so glad I don't live in the US reading all this!

That said, whilst I can appreciate the merits of the delivery system for people who are elderly, housebound, busy, a long way from the pharmacy etc., there is no way I would have my local pharmacy do that, because I have to stand there in front of them and check that they have given me the right medications, and that the name on the boxes is actually mine, and that they have given me everything that they are supposed to. Should be a given, but it really, really isn't. It's a lot easier to sort it out standing in front of someone than trying to battle with them over the phone, when they will tell you that the prescription was filled, and so on, and so on...