Miss eating what I like

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know a lot of people on this forum who are doing low carb and higher fat say they do not miss their former way of eating but I will admit that I do does anyone else feel that way now you have to watch what you eat and if so what foods do you miss the most
For 76 years I could eat whatever I liked now because of T2 I have been robbed of that pleasure. I was lucky as I had always been one of those people who could eat anything and never put on weight and all my adult life I have always been a size 10/12 so never needed to diet. Now after all those years I have to restrict what I eat and I do find that difficult when there is no substitute for some of the foods I enjoyed. For some dishes it has to be the real thing or nothing at all like cottage pie and fish pie with real mashed potato, and there is no substitute for the jacket potatoes I used to love to have for my lunch .Imagine summer pudding without the bread and I really miss wholemeal toast and crumpets for breakfast and all the varieties of fruit that I used to eat

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It differs from day to day and i have found acceptable alternatives for most things but I always miss porridge and Morrison's Tiger Bread.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If I said I don't miss some foods, you would call me a liar, and rightly so.
But having not had certain foods for some time now, I don't as such miss them. I would like to try but I just don't crave food, not hungry!
I eat when I feel like eating and not much.

I've just had gammon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes!

Why would I miss food?

Chip buttie! Oh my god, don't let me think about it, please!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like to tell myself at age 72 that most of my life I have had a bad carb-oriented Western diet and now finally I'm being 'forced' to eat more sensibly and as a result healthier.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss the bland food, the vehicle, the filler - rice, porridge, bread, pie crust, Yorkshire pudding, all those things that give background to all the fierce-tasting fats and proteins that are now the whole of my diet. I feel a bit as if my food's shouting at me without the stodgy carbs to muffle it and mop up its excessive flavours.

I also miss the convenience of bread when I'm hungry and want something quick to eat.

Kate

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would miss bread terribly, but Lidl rolls have filled that gap. Bread was always my downfall. I also miss hubby's homemade meat and potato pies, but we have one on Christmas Eve as a treat.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon @Pinkorchid and all my other friends,I am pretty lucky really,I love all fish yellow haddock,salmon.sardins on toast(wholemeal)everything grilled or boiled, all vegitables seafood,porridge,skinless chicken,apples,,raspberries,blueberries,and I still have a small roast dinner:)

,I don't miss all processed foods,Sugar,chocolate, cakes,chinese takeaways,KFC,fish and chips,Mcdonalds,and pastry,what I would miss is my grandchildren if I didnt stay away from rubbish food;)

But custard Doughnuts when I walk pass them in tescos in those bright orange bags:)

Reactions: Lamont D

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
It's fine being honest. It does depend on the condition of your diabetes. I have 35 grams of porridge with my berries and nuts 2 or 3 times a week. My lovely wife reduces my portions of basmati rice or I have 1 or 2 small pots if I feel like it. As a treat my wife makes pies perhaps every 2 months with half wholemeal flour. On all of these carb scenarios I make these part of my carb allowance and ensure I exercise.

Have you tried occasional deviations using almond or coconut flour. For rice, look up on youtube how to minimise the starch using coconut oil and placing in the fridge for 12 hours. It is difficult in my tradition I miss, yams, green bananna, rice and peas - it is a cruel trick that these types of foods are in the carb bracket.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know a lot of people on this forum who are doing low carb and higher fat say they do not miss their former way of eating but I will admit that I do does anyone else feel that way now you have to watch what you eat and if so what foods do you miss the most
For 76 years I could eat whatever I liked now because of T2 I have been robbed of that pleasure. I was lucky as I had always been one of those people who could eat anything and never put on weight and all my adult life I have always been a size 10/12 so never needed to diet. Now after all those years I have to restrict what I eat and I do find that difficult when there is no substitute for some of the foods I enjoyed. For some dishes it has to be the real thing or nothing at all like cottage pie and fish pie with real mashed potato, and there is no substitute for the jacket potatoes I used to love to have for my lunch .Imagine summer pudding without the bread and I really miss wholemeal toast and crumpets for breakfast and all the varieties of fruit that I used to eat

have you tried LIDL´s protein rolls , I think they taste fantastic... and they still are bread
you can eat berries I guess in smaller amounts

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been trying to lose weight since my early 20s and through the years there have been lots of things I miss. I have now been advised to drastically cut down the amount of dairy I eat and that is going to be so hard for me, but I would try anything to lose weight, so this is just another step along the way.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been trying to lose weight since my early 20s and through the years there have been lots of things I miss. I have now been advised to drastically cut down the amount of dairy I eat and that is going to be so hard for me, but I would try anything to lose weight, so this is just another step along the way.

I miss milk shakes, since you mention dairy!
The only thing I would put anywhere near my mouth from muckies!
Because of my lactose intolerance, I would have a slurp of banana flavour as a treat and the wife would finish it off!
I beginning to dislike this thread!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've never really had a sweet tooth so being diagnosed with diabetes didn't really change much, providing I keep the portion sizes (carb portions) down I can eat most foods within reason.

Speaking as a type 1 there is something I do miss when it comes to food..........that is the spontaneity of eating, how it would be great to just eat and not have to plan ahead (such as working out the carb content and pre-bolusing) :rolleyes:

Reactions: wiseowl_123

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am very fortunate, I can eat a wider variety of food now.

But I have mentally lost my appetite for it.

I always pass on the free donuts in screwfix, I don't go mad with the pizza and fish and chips, I only had one Festive Bake at Greggs for old times sake this year.
In fact my appetite is way less, I tend to look at the family size pizza, or quiche, and eat just a couple of slices, rather than regard it simply as a starter.
I cook a pan of food, and find it's three or four meals now.
My freezer is full of stuff I buy from the reduced section, thinking 'I'll eat that', then realising I won't anymore.

I'm not saying I don't feel hungry, my brain just kicks in, and shouts 'stop' louder than my stomach shouts' no'.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never really had a sweet tooth so being diagnosed with diabetes didn't really change much, providing I keep the portion sizes (carb portions) down I can eat most foods within reason.

Speaking as a type 1 there is something I do miss when it comes to food..........that is the spontaneity of eating, how it would be great to just eat and not have to plan ahead (such as working out the carb content and pre-bolusing) :rolleyes:

And I suppose that's with you all the time, not just for 'naughty treats' ? So you have to plan every meal? I hadn't thought of T1 in those terms before, just the planning ahead for say, an ice-cream etc.

S

serenity648

may I ask why you have to cut down your dairy? have you got an intolerance? Hugs.

Reactions: zand
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Zand, if you would like me to put you off dairy for life, just holler ;) x