So beans don't require insulin?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just at a session for the education of diabetics - and suspect that the dietician was in the pay of Heinz, she was pushing the consumption of their tinned beans so hard.

She claimed that a Type one diabetic would be able to eat ordinary baked beans with sugar in the sauce and not need insulin - which seems rather far fetched to me, but she was also extoling their virtues as a source of protein and fibre...

There were various plastic models of foods on the table to be sorted into the various food groups - but there were no salad leaves or stems - no celery, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, spinach nor onions - there were no green beans or peas either - all very strange.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe Heinz does have a say in matters. It is one of the sponsors/members of the British Nutrition Foundation that advises the government on nutrition issues.

At my initial diagnosis meeting with my (lovely) nurse, I hadn't a clue what I ought to be eating. She did the Eatwell Plate stuff and told me the best lunch was baked beans on toast. I already had that for lunch anyway so continued with it until I got a meter. :arghh: I tried the beans without the toast. :arghh: Then I found the reduced sugar ones. :arghh: I haven't eaten baked beans since. She also advised me to eat a jacket spud with baked beans. Baked beans seemed to be the answer to everything.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I might have a spoon full of baked beans now-for desert. Baked beans tastes too sugary for me now-as well as raises my blood glucose quite rapidly. I had humus for dinner though. Some brands of humus have a lot of filler and raise my BG a lot but Sabra with roasted red peppers eaten in moderation-1 to 2 tablespoons with raw snow peas and carrots or a few (5) pita chips does not. I also eat pinto beans which I adore and lentils in lentil soup. I have a small portion of black beans with a salad sometimes.

I am type 2, on insulin but just basal at this time-I do not bolus for anything-it is not part of my treatment plan.. I also take 3 x 500 mg metformin and baked beans would be a 2 x metformin meal for sure if I ate them anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: KezG and Johnjoe13

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just fetched a tin of Heinz ' (50% less sugar) Beanz' from the cupboard. I don't eat baked beans at all but my husband likes them. Info on the label as follows:-
Carbohydarate 9.9 per 100 g, 20.5 per half tin. With no insulin ? Rubbish. (I am type 1 diagnosed 1964.)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There was a similar query or comment from a Type 1 recently - they'd been told there was no need to bolus for baked beans. The consensus was that was incorrect.

I'd certainly bolus for them.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I was just at a session for the education of diabetics - and suspect that the dietician was in the pay of Heinz, she was pushing the consumption of their tinned beans so hard.

She claimed that a Type one diabetic would be able to eat ordinary baked beans with sugar in the sauce and not need insulin - strange.

Gee I had chilly last night with three different varieties of beans and I required 10 units of Humulog to take care of it. I guess they weren't those special Heinz beans. I don;t know about everyone else but I have met my fair share of crackpot dietitians over the years :)

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When diagnosed in the late 70s, I was told that two tablespoons of baked beans would be one exchange ( that's 10g carbohydrate). For years I used baked beans as one of my 4 exchanges for my evening meal, about once a week. Approximately 15 years after diagnosis, I noticed that I was going lowish or even hypo after having baked beans with dinner. I decided not to include beans in my carb total and stopped going low.

It seems I needed insulin for beans at first, but this changed. I haven't a clue why.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Wigan famous for Heinz baked beans, meat and potato pies and uncle Joe's mint balls non of which I would consider diabetes friendly but I used to like to stand outside Uncle Joe's factory and just breathe in the aroma. :)

edit to add
Mind you just standing there would probably put your blood sugars up.

Last edited:

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may be stating the obvious here but does anybody in the NHS actually know anything about diet and carbs where diabetes is concerned? I strikes me they don't or are just unable to agree. I'm wondering what happens if you are a dietitian and diabetic? Are there any that are still alive or in possession of all their limbs and eyesight? Or could it be they do not practice what they preach?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Happily, the answer to,that is Yes @Johnjoe13 :)

When I was diagnsoed, I saw an excellent dietician who explained carb counting simply and kindly to me, which was very much appreciated. I've also seen a dietician recently and she was equally helpful.

I'm sure some are better than others, but they're not all bad.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was one significant phrase in the entire session - 'as your diabetes progresses' - and I just sort of blanked after that.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We live in mad world and sadly dominated by the food industry lobby. They control most of the government diet/health bodies and others and fund a lot of university research. Anyone looked at the diet advice for diabetics on the British Dietetic Association web site? This is one of the professional establishments for dieticians. It sums it up. At least we understand here but I feel sorry for those diabetics taking the advice of 'experts' and the loss of limbs they might expect later in life.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
She claimed that a Type one diabetic would be able to eat ordinary baked beans with sugar in the sauce and not need insulin

I'd be very surprised, I have to take bolus for beans (we buy Branston's Baked Beans).

but she was also extoling their virtues as a source of protein and fibre...

That is true.

There were various plastic models of foods on the table to be sorted into the various food groups - but there were no salad leaves or stems - no celery, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, spinach nor onions - there were no green beans or peas either - all very strange.

Which course was it @Resurgam ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was the three sessions on the NHS, arranged by Poole Hospital in Dorset.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Mind you just standing there would probably put your blood sugars up.

I'm currently having Hydrobaric Oxygen Therapy and breathing pure oxygen sitting in a pressurised cabin definitely makes my BG drop (thanks to FreeStyle Libre) and my BG goes up as soon as I emerge from the chamber. So you never can tell. LOL

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . . she was also extoling their virtues as a source of protein and fibre...

That might be true, but as most people know, that's not all it has. Did anyone try to tell her the error of her ways? It might be what they're taught, yet can so easily be proven as absolute cods wallop if anyone happened to have a CGM or pump. Empirical evidence as it were. Poor woman, not knowing. (tongue in cheek)

samantha13

There was a similar query or comment from a Type 1 recently - they'd been told there was no need to bolus for baked beans. The consensus was that was incorrect.

I'd certainly bolus for them.
That was me I was told at my DAFNE course that the beans won't affect the bg as they are slow release so no need to bolus. After trusting this advice I spiked sky high. At least I know for future..

Reactions: Serena51 and azure

laffinjake_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was told to halve the carb amount so if it was 20g for half a tin, bolus for 10g as its slow releasing . I don't bother with them anymore though because I could never get it right

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That was me I was told at my DAFNE course that the beans won't affect the bg as they are slow release so no need to bolus. After trusting this advice I spiked sky high. At least I know for future..

Fortunately, no one told me that so I've always bolused for the actual carbs : D

I remember my carb value sheet had baked beans on too, and they were listed as actual carbs.

Reactions: samantha13