Diabetic Craft Club

S

Sable_Jan

Just finished my latest needle felting. I'm happy with this apart from his arms and legs
7b9f307afaacc46c0ea546ea10064bb0.jpg
He's sooooo sweet though

AnniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HE's so cute! My goodness though, this thread has gone very quiet! What is everyone up to? I have been learning new beading techniques and have made some bracelets and Necklaces. I've also booked a holiday in India so need to make some dresses! We are going in 9 weeks and will be mid 30 dregrees!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
HE's so cute! My goodness though, this thread has gone very quiet! What is everyone up to? I have been learning new beading techniques and have made some bracelets and Necklaces. I've also booked a holiday in India so need to make some dresses! We are going in 9 weeks and will be mid 30 dregrees!
Happy holiday @AnniB hope you have a wonderful time. Will you be buying any dresses out there?

Reactions: Sable_Jan

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
...revisiting my bag making project....:bag:...
IMG_5200.JPG IMG_5191.JPG IMG_5195.JPG
....just set up Etsy shop so plan to make some more soon....

S

Sable_Jan

Floaty & covering?

S

Sable_Jan

Not touched my knitting whilst I finished accounts but all my knitting muscles are aching so it's on hold

hornplayer

Sorry guys. Yes, it had gone quiet. I know I haven't posted here for months. Sorry.
Lots of family traumas going on at the moment. Just trying to keep home and work going. Haven't had chance to get anything creative done at all but I love looking at the things you guys make. Hoping to contribute again soon. x

S

Sable_Jan

Sorry guys. Yes, it had gone quiet. I know I haven't posted here for months. Sorry.
Lots of family traumas going on at the moment. Just trying to keep home and work going. Haven't had chance to get anything creative done at all but I love looking at the things you guys make. Hoping to contribute again soon. x
Your creativity is being channelled in other directions at the moment

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Sounds perfect! I'm in London tomorrow and am tempted to go to a shop I pass that sells sari material and by some to make a large scarf
That sounds lovely @AnniB

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I am making a jumper in an Aran weight yarn, I want to make it with squares in different stitches. I am half way through an 8" square but I think it is going to be too big. This square is Moss Stitch and others will be variations of moss stitch with some plainer stitches such as sand stitch, double Andalucian, Hurdle St. and half brioches. What do you think of 4" squares? It will be made up in a Guernsey style.

S

Sable_Jan

I am making a jumper in an Aran weight yarn, I want to make it with squares in different stitches. I am half way through an 8" square but I think it is going to be too big. This square is Moss Stitch and others will be variations of moss stitch with some plainer stitches such as sand stitch, double Andalucian, Hurdle St. and half brioches. What do you think of 4" squares? It will be made up in a Guernsey style.
Measure where you want the seams to fall.....might be 6" would the the job? And where you want the squares to sit...boobs, neck shoulders....

Last edited by a moderator:

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've snooped around in this thread. :p

I was wondering, can anyone who sews help me out? I know the basics of sewing, but I haven't sewn enough to know how to realize this idea.

Summary: none of the diabetes clutches I find are what I want. I'm going to be cleaning out my wardrobe next week to replace worn down items (like jeans with holes in the crotches, hah!) and a bunch of tops. LOTS of fabric that I can reuse and would be able to turn into a pouch or clutch. I just don't know how to go about it that well.

I'm envisioning something like a pencil case or makeup bag where my glucometer, strips container, lancet device and insulin pens can lay in freely. Preferably big enough for my double Frio bag as well, for those hot summer months when the insulin needs to stay cool. Separate zipper pouches on the inside for lancets and needles, and one pouch for the disposed lancets, needles and strips.

So, a big pencil case/makeup bag with 3 extra zippered pouches on the inside. Preferably 25cm long, 5cm wide and 12cm tall at the most, so it fits in my little shoulder bag.

I've never sewn zippers before, but I have plenty in my sewing case. I have jeans that I'd prefer to use for the outside of the case, and some thin cotton tops for the lining. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial or a pattern that can teach me how to do this? :)

S

Sable_Jan

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've snooped around in this thread.
I was wondering, can anyone who sews help me out? I know the basics of sewing, but I haven't sewn enough to know how to realize this idea.

Summary: none of the diabetes clutches I find are what I want. I'm going to be cleaning out my wardrobe next week to replace worn down items (like jeans with holes in the crotches, hah!) and a bunch of tops. LOTS of fabric that I can reuse and would be able to turn into a pouch or clutch. I just don't know how to go about it that well.

I'm envisioning something like a pencil case or makeup bag where my glucometer, strips container, lancet device and insulin pens can lay in freely. Preferably big enough for my double Frio bag as well, for those hot summer months when the insulin needs to stay cool. Separate zipper pouches on the inside for lancets and needles, and one pouch for the disposed lancets, needles and strips.

So, a big pencil case/makeup bag with 3 extra zippered pouches on the inside. Preferably 25cm long, 5cm wide and 12cm tall at the most, so it fits in my little shoulder bag.

I've never sewn zippers before, but I have plenty in my sewing case. I have jeans that I'd prefer to use for the outside of the case, and some thin cotton tops for the lining. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial or a pattern that can teach me how to do this? :)
@Molly56 has been making recycled bags. Might be able to give you some tips. If you aren't used to zips I'd suggest putting them in first and then ding the seams might be the way forward...

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I browsed YouTube for hours trying to find the resources I needed and I finally managed to figure it out. :D

I just sewed my first zipper bag ever with old worn jeans that I couldn't wear anymore. No lining because it's an experiment and I didn't need it to be pretty on the inside lol. It turned out SUPER well, I learned a lot and I'm ready to sew my supply bag now!

Also decided that this bag will serve as a zipper bag. I got my sewing machine and supply box from my mom and she hoarded zippers apparently!

ijcDkHE.jpg

ePM1i3z.jpg

XkRXbA4.jpg

S

Sable_Jan

I browsed YouTube for hours trying to find the resources I needed and I finally managed to figure it out. :D

I just sewed my first zipper bag ever with old worn jeans that I couldn't wear anymore. No lining because it's an experiment and I didn't need it to be pretty on the inside lol. It turned out SUPER well, I learned a lot and I'm ready to sew my supply bag now!

Also decided that this bag will serve as a zipper bag. I got my sewing machine and supply box from my mom and she hoarded zippers apparently!

ijcDkHE.jpg

ePM1i3z.jpg

XkRXbA4.jpg
Looks good

Reactions: DaftThoughts