1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic Craft Club

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RosieLKH, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

He's sooooo sweet though

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. AnniB

AnniB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, he is!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. NicolaB70

NicolaB70 · Guest

Here's my new minion I made and finished today. It's Bee-Do

IMG_1242.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. AnniB

HE's so cute! My goodness though, this thread has gone very quiet! What is everyone up to? I have been learning new beading techniques and have made some bracelets and Necklaces. I've also booked a holiday in India so need to make some dresses! We are going in 9 weeks and will be mid 30 dregrees!

• Like Like x 2
  5. ellagy

ellagy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Happy holiday @AnniB hope you have a wonderful time. Will you be buying any dresses out there?

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnniB

Tempting, and I love traditional indian dress. I may buy fabric.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

...revisiting my bag making project....:bag:...
    IMG_5200.JPG IMG_5191.JPG IMG_5195.JPG
    ....just set up Etsy shop so plan to make some more soon....

• Like Like x 4
  8. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Floaty & covering?

9. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Not touched my knitting whilst I finished accounts but all my knitting muscles are aching so it's on hold

10. hornplayer

hornplayer · Well-Known Member

Sorry guys. Yes, it had gone quiet. I know I haven't posted here for months. Sorry.
    Lots of family traumas going on at the moment. Just trying to keep home and work going. Haven't had chance to get anything creative done at all but I love looking at the things you guys make. Hoping to contribute again soon. x

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Your creativity is being channelled in other directions at the moment

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AnniB

Sounds perfect! I'm in London tomorrow and am tempted to go to a shop I pass that sells sari material and by some to make a large scarf

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. ellagy

That sounds lovely @AnniB

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. AnniB

What are we all up to? I've been making 'floating bead' necklaces.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ellagy

I am making a jumper in an Aran weight yarn, I want to make it with squares in different stitches. I am half way through an 8" square but I think it is going to be too big. This square is Moss Stitch and others will be variations of moss stitch with some plainer stitches such as sand stitch, double Andalucian, Hurdle St. and half brioches. What do you think of 4" squares? It will be made up in a Guernsey style.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Measure where you want the seams to fall.....might be 6" would the the job? And where you want the squares to sit...boobs, neck shoulders....

#656 Sable_Jan, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  17. DaftThoughts

DaftThoughts LADA · Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've snooped around in this thread. :p

I was wondering, can anyone who sews help me out? I know the basics of sewing, but I haven't sewn enough to know how to realize this idea.

Summary: none of the diabetes clutches I find are what I want. I'm going to be cleaning out my wardrobe next week to replace worn down items (like jeans with holes in the crotches, hah!) and a bunch of tops. LOTS of fabric that I can reuse and would be able to turn into a pouch or clutch. I just don't know how to go about it that well.

I'm envisioning something like a pencil case or makeup bag where my glucometer, strips container, lancet device and insulin pens can lay in freely. Preferably big enough for my double Frio bag as well, for those hot summer months when the insulin needs to stay cool. Separate zipper pouches on the inside for lancets and needles, and one pouch for the disposed lancets, needles and strips.

So, a big pencil case/makeup bag with 3 extra zippered pouches on the inside. Preferably 25cm long, 5cm wide and 12cm tall at the most, so it fits in my little shoulder bag.

I've never sewn zippers before, but I have plenty in my sewing case. I have jeans that I'd prefer to use for the outside of the case, and some thin cotton tops for the lining. Can anyone direct me to a tutorial or a pattern that can teach me how to do this? :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

@Molly56 has been making recycled bags. Might be able to give you some tips. If you aren't used to zips I'd suggest putting them in first and then ding the seams might be the way forward...

19. DaftThoughts

DaftThoughts LADA · Well-Known Member

I browsed YouTube for hours trying to find the resources I needed and I finally managed to figure it out. :D

I just sewed my first zipper bag ever with old worn jeans that I couldn't wear anymore. No lining because it's an experiment and I didn't need it to be pretty on the inside lol. It turned out SUPER well, I learned a lot and I'm ready to sew my supply bag now!

Also decided that this bag will serve as a zipper bag. I got my sewing machine and supply box from my mom and she hoarded zippers apparently!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Looks good

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook