Low carb for one year

Keggering

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been type 1 for nearly 7 years, and I've just finished my first year of being strictly low carb. I considered celebrating with a huge chocolate cake but I managed to resist ;-) I also try to manage the condition with cgm, intermittent fasting and exercise, but I'm far from being an expert in these things!

This has really changed my life in a lot of ways. I haven't reached where I want to be yet with diabetes control, but my numbers are so vastly improved that it's given me great hope for the future, which as you know is something that can be severely lacking for type 1s! I've also had a big improvement in my weight and general health and happiness, and I believe that things can get even better. My goals are normal blood sugars with as low insulin as possible (I know, I'm a dreamer!).

I know lots of type 1s are using or are interested in low carb, to varying degrees, and I decided to share my progress and experiences online. People on this forum have helped me in the past, and I would love to help others, even if it's just moral support as we fantasise about eating pad thai. I'm lowcarbtype1 on instagram, and I've just started a blog at lowcarbtype1blog.wordpress.com Suggestions for blog post topics are welcome.

I'm not a healthcare professional, I'm not selling anything, and I don't want to argue with anyone who disagrees with this lifestyle, I just want to let those who are interested know what I'm doing in a lighthearted and supportive way. Sorry if I made you crave pad thai and chocolate cake.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Keggering Thanks for your post, type 1 diabetes is a condition that's as individual as the person who has it, so if it works for you and you've found a way to manage better with good physical and good mental health then that's brilliant :)

Reactions: Dodo and aj78

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been type 1 for nearly 7 years, and I've just finished my first year of being strictly low carb. I considered celebrating with a huge chocolate cake but I managed to resist ;-) I also try to manage the condition with cgm, intermittent fasting and exercise, but I'm far from being an expert in these things!

This has really changed my life in a lot of ways. I haven't reached where I want to be yet with diabetes control, but my numbers are so vastly improved that it's given me great hope for the future, which as you know is something that can be severely lacking for type 1s! I've also had a big improvement in my weight and general health and happiness, and I believe that things can get even better. My goals are normal blood sugars with as low insulin as possible (I know, I'm a dreamer!).

I know lots of type 1s are using or are interested in low carb, to varying degrees, and I decided to share my progress and experiences online. People on this forum have helped me in the past, and I would love to help others, even if it's just moral support as we fantasise about eating pad thai. I'm lowcarbtype1 on instagram, and I've just started a blog at lowcarbtype1blog.wordpress.com Suggestions for blog post topics are welcome.

I'm not a healthcare professional, I'm not selling anything, and I don't want to argue with anyone who disagrees with this lifestyle, I just want to let those who are interested know what I'm doing in a lighthearted and supportive way. Sorry if I made you crave pad thai and chocolate cake.

fine effort you are doing to get optimal healt, I am type 2 , but want to wish you all the best of luck and success on your road... and as going low carb is much more complicated when being type 1 than when being type 2 I also send you my admiration :)

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank u for sharing us ur experiences, i ll definitely check ur blog. Ur post just cheered me up, it sends so much positivity, and im so happy for u ! Im going strict on my diet as well but still long way to go. Keep up ur excellent work ! X

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great to hear that you have found what works for you.

In fact upon my diagnosis as T2D, I was greatly inspired and motivated by the success of T1D low carbers. I figured that if it is good and safe enough for T1D, it will be safe enough for me to try it out.

Have not looked back since...

Type 1 Low Carber- Dr Troy Stapleton.

Last edited:

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
I have a great recipe for spicey peanut sauce that I mix into tofu noodles, & add some crisp veggies. Voila--Pad Thai.

Reactions: MsMelis

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Thank you!
As a matter of fact, if you buy some basics like 'fine' almond flour, flax seeds etc. you can make mostly baked goods (cookies, cakes) & breads that taste even better than boring wheat. It takes a little practice, & being able to eat the "not so good" mistakes. But I don't feel deprived when I have a couple of cookies w/my afternoon tea, or a few low carb waffles w/fruit sauce & butter. Lots of recipes in my Stay Strong Facebook group.https://www.facebook.com/groups/188088054632922/

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
are the noodles made of tofu? If so, I would like the recipe for the tofu noodles
haha I wish I was that good to make these wonderful noodles..I buy the noodles at the grocery store--it's a market called SPROUTS in San Diego, CA & they sell produce & organic, so sort of a specialty market. Best thing, they are only $1.79/package which is 2 nice servings. Look in refrigerated section, with the tofu & cheeses--House Foods is the company & they are Tofu Shiratake- Fettucine.(also come in a thinner cut) They are made from yam. When you open the package they may have a light smell, but just soak several times (I add a little vinegar to the water) & rinse a couple times. I also do not cook, I find them prefectly al dente, & cooking makes them too mushy. Dry well, you don't want the wetness to dilute the sauce.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
You can get "Miracle Noodles" on Amazon.com, if you are comfortable shopping at Amazon. They are more pricey than Home Foods noodles. These noodles are honestly very satisfying to me, as I love pad thai & a little italian tomato sauce w/meatballs, or just a nice white sauce w/cheddar cheese (I use butter & fine almond flour to thicken & it is awesome). But they are a bit chewy & some folks don't like the smell, but for me, it's a meal I look forward to.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Great post, well done on your results. I like the way you want to focus on positivity only.

subu94

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Great post, well done on your results. I like the way you want to focus on positivity only.
Dude how does this low carb diet plan work and suggestions for ppl like me who are suffering from past 7 years

Reactions: Freema
M

ME_Valentijn

are the noodles made of tofu? If so, I would like the recipe for the tofu noodles
There's also proper dried soybean noodles. The brand I get in the Netherlands is Go-Tan, which is about 15 carbs per (uncooked) 40g serving. They just take a few minutes to cook, and have a nice taste and texture, though definitely different than rice noodles or normal pasta. Also pretty cheap, at €1.69 for 80 grams (2 servings). The brand is sold outside of the Netherlands and has an English website, but most of the hits I'm getting for the soybean noodles are on Dutch sites :p

I'm planning to make chicken pad thai with those noodles tonight. Pad thai was one of my favorite dishes when I was in the US, but I can't eat rice noodles now of course. And the take-out version in the Netherlands is consistently bland and lifeless anyhow :( But there's a fairly simple recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kuay-tiaw-pad-thai-recipe that I already have the ingredients for, so it should be doable.

Reactions: Freema

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dude how does this low carb diet plan work and suggestions for ppl like me who are suffering from past 7 years

How are you suffering @subu94 ? Do you mean you're struggling with control?

If so, a good starting place is to make sure you've received proper training to carb count and adjust your insulin. Think Like A Pancreas is a great book for Type 1s.

Reactions: Dodo and miszu

NewlyT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You can definitely do a low carb diet plan, but you have to be careful as you definitely cannot cut carbs out all together.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
But you can go 20g or under although this is a strictly personal choice. I average between 20-35g a day - loads of veggies included like broccoli, peppers, shallots and cauliflower.