1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb for one year

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Keggering, Mar 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Keggering

Keggering Type 1 · Member

I've been type 1 for nearly 7 years, and I've just finished my first year of being strictly low carb. I considered celebrating with a huge chocolate cake but I managed to resist ;-) I also try to manage the condition with cgm, intermittent fasting and exercise, but I'm far from being an expert in these things!

This has really changed my life in a lot of ways. I haven't reached where I want to be yet with diabetes control, but my numbers are so vastly improved that it's given me great hope for the future, which as you know is something that can be severely lacking for type 1s! I've also had a big improvement in my weight and general health and happiness, and I believe that things can get even better. My goals are normal blood sugars with as low insulin as possible (I know, I'm a dreamer!).

I know lots of type 1s are using or are interested in low carb, to varying degrees, and I decided to share my progress and experiences online. People on this forum have helped me in the past, and I would love to help others, even if it's just moral support as we fantasise about eating pad thai. I'm lowcarbtype1 on instagram, and I've just started a blog at lowcarbtype1blog.wordpress.com Suggestions for blog post topics are welcome.

I'm not a healthcare professional, I'm not selling anything, and I don't want to argue with anyone who disagrees with this lifestyle, I just want to let those who are interested know what I'm doing in a lighthearted and supportive way. Sorry if I made you crave pad thai and chocolate cake.

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 7
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Keggering Thanks for your post, type 1 diabetes is a condition that's as individual as the person who has it, so if it works for you and you've found a way to manage better with good physical and good mental health then that's brilliant :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

fine effort you are doing to get optimal healt, I am type 2 , but want to wish you all the best of luck and success on your road... and as going low carb is much more complicated when being type 1 than when being type 2 I also send you my admiration :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sue Anne

Sue Anne Type 1 · Newbie

I have been an insulin dependent for 43 years, and also agree that low carb is the way to go!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Peppergirl

Peppergirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Keggering, thank you so much for your post, it really gives me hope! I've had a similar experience for the past 8 months. Best wishes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. cz_dave

cz_dave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Keggering - excellent results, thanks for sharing. What's your typical diet like?

• Like Like x 1
  7. miszu

miszu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thank u for sharing us ur experiences, i ll definitely check ur blog. Ur post just cheered me up, it sends so much positivity, and im so happy for u ! Im going strict on my diet as well but still long way to go. Keep up ur excellent work ! X

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

LADA here and vlc does wonders for my numbers !! Wouldn't have it any other way. Love lchf!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great to hear that you have found what works for you.

In fact upon my diagnosis as T2D, I was greatly inspired and motivated by the success of T1D low carbers. I figured that if it is good and safe enough for T1D, it will be safe enough for me to try it out.

Have not looked back since...

Type 1 Low Carber- Dr Troy Stapleton.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #9 kokhongw, Mar 2, 2017 at 1:54 AM
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  10. Mokkijo

Mokkijo Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have a great recipe for spicey peanut sauce that I mix into tofu noodles, & add some crisp veggies. Voila--Pad Thai.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. MsMelis

MsMelis Type 2 · Member

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mokkijo

As a matter of fact, if you buy some basics like 'fine' almond flour, flax seeds etc. you can make mostly baked goods (cookies, cakes) & breads that taste even better than boring wheat. It takes a little practice, & being able to eat the "not so good" mistakes. But I don't feel deprived when I have a couple of cookies w/my afternoon tea, or a few low carb waffles w/fruit sauce & butter. Lots of recipes in my Stay Strong Facebook group.https://www.facebook.com/groups/188088054632922/

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mokkijo

haha I wish I was that good to make these wonderful noodles..I buy the noodles at the grocery store--it's a market called SPROUTS in San Diego, CA & they sell produce & organic, so sort of a specialty market. Best thing, they are only $1.79/package which is 2 nice servings. Look in refrigerated section, with the tofu & cheeses--House Foods is the company & they are Tofu Shiratake- Fettucine.(also come in a thinner cut) They are made from yam. When you open the package they may have a light smell, but just soak several times (I add a little vinegar to the water) & rinse a couple times. I also do not cook, I find them prefectly al dente, & cooking makes them too mushy. Dry well, you don't want the wetness to dilute the sauce.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Mokkijo

You can get "Miracle Noodles" on Amazon.com, if you are comfortable shopping at Amazon. They are more pricey than Home Foods noodles. These noodles are honestly very satisfying to me, as I love pad thai & a little italian tomato sauce w/meatballs, or just a nice white sauce w/cheddar cheese (I use butter & fine almond flour to thicken & it is awesome). But they are a bit chewy & some folks don't like the smell, but for me, it's a meal I look forward to.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Great post, well done on your results. I like the way you want to focus on positivity only.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. subu94

subu94 Type 1 · Newbie

Dude how does this low carb diet plan work and suggestions for ppl like me who are suffering from past 7 years

• Like Like x 1
  17. ME_Valentijn

ME_Valentijn · Guest

There's also proper dried soybean noodles. The brand I get in the Netherlands is Go-Tan, which is about 15 carbs per (uncooked) 40g serving. They just take a few minutes to cook, and have a nice taste and texture, though definitely different than rice noodles or normal pasta. Also pretty cheap, at €1.69 for 80 grams (2 servings). The brand is sold outside of the Netherlands and has an English website, but most of the hits I'm getting for the soybean noodles are on Dutch sites :p

I'm planning to make chicken pad thai with those noodles tonight. Pad thai was one of my favorite dishes when I was in the US, but I can't eat rice noodles now of course. And the take-out version in the Netherlands is consistently bland and lifeless anyhow :( But there's a fairly simple recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kuay-tiaw-pad-thai-recipe that I already have the ingredients for, so it should be doable.

• Like Like x 1
  18. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

How are you suffering @subu94 ? Do you mean you're struggling with control?

If so, a good starting place is to make sure you've received proper training to carb count and adjust your insulin. Think Like A Pancreas is a great book for Type 1s.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. NewlyT1

NewlyT1 Type 1 · Newbie

You can definitely do a low carb diet plan, but you have to be careful as you definitely cannot cut carbs out all together.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Angelofthemarches

Angelofthemarches Type 2 · Well-Known Member

But you can go 20g or under although this is a strictly personal choice. I average between 20-35g a day - loads of veggies included like broccoli, peppers, shallots and cauliflower.

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook