Type 1 Easter...

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's my 6 year old daughter that's t1, I aim to keep her blood sugars below 7 on the CGM at all times. Realistically she stays between 3.5 and 8 at all times.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi @Hollieo4, my bs's are typically,3.8 on waking,after lunch 5.5 and after dinner 6.5 mmols.....a very good tip...eat small well balanced meals

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Right,

This may sound like a really silly question, but I am absolutely brand new to all this and all I keep thinking is how much I miss eating even the tiniest bit of chocolate at the moment! Does anybody ever indulge at Easter? Is there a particular chocolate which doesn't spike your blood glucose as much? I would love to be able to think I could eat some chocolate from an Easter egg this year...is this possible as a Type 1?! :-(

P.S. I am trying so, so hard to manage my levels. For the last few days I've been between 5-6.5 before meals and yesterday my highest reading was 7.7 but that was after eating my evening meal. Getting good numbers spurs me on but I feel like I need a treat too! 2 weeks in and flagging slightly!

Im a major chocoholic as evidenced by the tube of Cadburys Mini Eggs in my kitchen : D There's no need to avoid chocolate if you're sensible. You can, of course, bolus for it as a Type 1, or you can simply choose when to eat it eg before exercise :)

I actually find Easter eggs ok as the shell bit is quite thin so not too carby. I tend to open mind and put it in a container then eat over a few days, depending on the size. My BS always stays in range :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! I am only on 4 units of NovoRapid with meals at the moment and I'm yet to meet with a consultant so I'm a bit nervous about altering my insulin doses as I don't want to give too much/too little! With carb counting, can you give yourself insulin if you wanted to eat something carby and it wasn't a meal time? I wouldn't do this all the time obviously but I definitely used to have the occassional snack when it wasn't a meal time before Type 1 struck!

That makes sense - it's wise to be cautious in the early days. But even then, you should find opportunities to fit in some chocolate eg before a walk, when shopping, etc. :)

This is more advice for the future as you're not carb counting yet, but certainly you can eat snacks. I eat two snacks a day. If they're carby snacks, I simply bolus for them (unless I'm out on a walk or whatever and my BS needs the carb boost).

Basically, as the book says you need to Think Like A Pancreas. Your own pancreas can't control your blood sugar any more so you have to take over its job. Yes, it does seem like a full time job sometimes (in fact the author of that book says that early on - that he's working two jobs) but as the months go by, you'll gradually learn how to manage it and although it will always be in your head, it won't take up so much brain power :)

Type 1 isn't a punishment. If you're not overweight and your BS is in range, you can eat normally with a bit of thought. Don't feel guilty about the idea of having a snack. I recognise that horrible feeling of thinking you'll never be able to eat normally again. I stood and cried in the supermarket when I was first diagnosed. But it's not true. You can eat - you just need to think more than non-diabetics before you do, as you need to think about your insulin,,etc.

D

Deleted member 391597

Thank you so much for all your advice and kind words @azure. You have been so helpful! I know I sound ridiculous thinking about food all the time - I haven't had a chinese in about 6 months but that's all I want now! Think it's mind over matter. Definitely feel like I've got another job with this...plus a 6 month old. Tired is an understatement!

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Thank you so much for all your advice and kind words @azure. You have been so helpful! I know I sound ridiculous thinking about food all the time - I haven't had a chinese in about 6 months but that's all I want now! Think it's mind over matter. Definitely feel like I've got another job with this...plus a 6 month old. Tired is an understatement!

Hi @Hollieo4, have a look on pinterest they have a diabetic section with some good adaptions of cakes and chinese etc,check out the almond flour and coconut flour receipes too,clive.

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
Right,

This may sound like a really silly question, but I am absolutely brand new to all this and all I keep thinking is how much I miss eating even the tiniest bit of chocolate at the moment! Does anybody ever indulge at Easter? Is there a particular chocolate which doesn't spike your blood glucose as much? I would love to be able to think I could eat some chocolate from an Easter egg this year...is this possible as a Type 1?! :-(

P.S. I am trying so, so hard to manage my levels. For the last few days I've been between 5-6.5 before meals and yesterday my highest reading was 7.7 but that was after eating my evening meal. Getting good numbers spurs me on but I feel like I need a treat too! 2 weeks in and flagging slightly!

You must ask to go on a DAFNE course. Does Adjustment For Normal Eating. You GP or Diabetic Nurse can arrange this for you.