jettcrash11

My main goal is to lose weight. I haven't been able to at all since and before I've been diagnosed. I just switched to a low carb diet, keeping my carbs under or a little over 50 grams daily, and eating mostly protein and salad. I've done this for two days with exercise and the scale hasn't moved even half a pound. I'm getting really frustrated. Can somebody give me some input? Am I doing something wrong?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome! :)

Can you give a bit more detail?
What type of diabetes do you have, and what meds are you on? (this affects how your blood glucose reacts to low carbing)

Have you been drinking masses of water?
Sometimes when we switch diets we can develop a bit of constipation, which adds... erm... weight, for a few days. ;)
So maybe add a few more fibrous above ground veg, some psyllium husks, chia seeds, or nuts to your low carb meals.
Those always have a great effect on me. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I'm reading correctly, @jettcrash11 , you are concerned not to have lost weight after 2 days of altered eating?

For some people weight loss is rapid, and others it takes a little longer to get going.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there
I would like to say welcome to the forum first !!:)

we are all different. I would try sticking with the diet for at least 4 weeks and try not to weigh yourself too often.
I am currently on a calorie restricted diet ( 800 cal per day )and am weighing myself once per week.
8.5 lbs lost in 3 weeks.

you can do this -- lots of friendly support here to help keep you going !!!!!!

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BBC programme 'Doctor in the House' was on earlier this week. Might be worth a look. Young lad was struggling to lose weight on a relatively healthy diet. He was found to be insulin resistant and one suggestion was cooked, chopped apple with cinnamon.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I
BBC programme 'Doctor in the House' was on earlier this week. Might be worth a look. Young lad was struggling to lose weight on a relatively healthy diet. He was found to be insulin resistant and one suggestion was cooked, chopped apple with cinnamon.
I wonder what difference that made?

Weight loss can be one of the main resolutions to insulin resistance.
I'm a great believer that the liver holds the key to IR.
Try a good liver health diet and this means low carb.
Carbs cause fatty liver too and in my opinion liver blocks can be safe to practice to block out liver dumps. IR in me causes multipal liver dumps throughout my day. Causing higher levels of glucose circulating in my body, causing havoc. Including making IR worse!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How much weight did you expect to lose in just 2 days?

The safest amount to lose is about 2lbs a week, so in 2 days it is barely measurable on scales. Perhaps stick to one weigh-in a week and see what happens with that.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Come and join us in weigh-in friday thread?

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can recommended walking - lots and lots of walking :) And not fretting after 2 days - it's a marathon not a sprint after all :)

dipsydo

If your blood sugars (bs) are going in the right direction then try to relax about the weight as it may well take some time.

Try not to weigh every day ( go for every week if you can or maybe twice a week ) - also check if you are eating too much protein - aim for 0.8 per kilo of the weigh you want to achieve. As others have said you need to make sure you are drinking enough water a day . We are all different and some lose quicker than others. My experience was that I stayed the same weight for 6 weeks and then lost 7lbs in a week but all the time my bs were reducing.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
I underwent stomach reduction (Roux-en-Y bypass) to lose weight a couple of years ago due to worries over insulin resistance/intolerance and the huge amount of insulins i was injecting everyday..Weight loss attempts and diets didn't work for me prior to surgery.
My weight halved within 6 months but my sugar control is now far more difficult due to increased insulin sensitivity.
Insulin intolerance was the sole reason for the operation and I didn't realise it would cause so many problems following weight loss.Spent Friday night in hospital with sugars down to 0.8
Been diabetic T1 for around 44 years and wish now I was back up to 24 st with impeccable control
Good luck

jettcrash11

If your blood sugars (bs) are going in the right direction then try to relax about the weight as it may well take some time.

Try not to weigh every day ( go for every week if you can or maybe twice a week ) - also check if you are eating too much protein - aim for 0.8 per kilo of the weigh you want to achieve. As others have said you need to make sure you are drinking enough water a day . We are all different and some lose quicker than others. My experience was that I stayed the same weight for 6 weeks and then lost 7lbs in a week but all the time my bs were reducing.
I was thinking about getting a blood sugar meter. How would I read it to know that my insulin has gone high or is stable?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking about getting a blood sugar meter. How would I read it to know that my insulin has gone high or is stable?

You can't measure insulin levels from a meter. That requires special blood tests ordered by a GP. A blood glucose meter measure the glucose in your blood stream.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you eating enough fat?
I stopped losing weight after 18lb left, in the first weeks after diagnosis and only recently has the scale begun to show tiny drops - after I started eating strawberries and cream. Very counter intuitive, but that is what is happening. Maybe try adding an olive oil and vinegar dressing to your salad if you are trying to do low fat?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I underwent stomach reduction (Roux-en-Y bypass) to lose weight a couple of years ago due to worries over insulin resistance/intolerance and the huge amount of insulins i was injecting everyday..Weight loss attempts and diets didn't work for me prior to surgery.
My weight halved within 6 months but my sugar control is now far more difficult due to increased insulin sensitivity.
Insulin intolerance was the sole reason for the operation and I didn't realise it would cause so many problems following weight loss.Spent Friday night in hospital with sugars down to 0.8
Been diabetic T1 for around 44 years and wish now I was back up to 24 st with impeccable control
Good luck
As a type1 I didn't realise you could get insulin intolerant.
I'm sorry you had that. Has that now changed to insulin sensitive?
Is insulin intolerant the same as insulin resistant?
So do you now need half units of insulin? How much weight did you lose?