Weekly weigh in - Fridays

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @Rachox - we are weight loss twins - just I'm a month ahead of you! I was 115.1kg on the 5th April - after 6 weeks weight loss I was 101.8kg - yesterday I was 94.7kg. :) You are doing so well - this is a lovely supportive thread to post on :)
Hi5s weight loss twin! I'm so looking forward to getting under 100!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you very much for this post as I am stubbornly stupid when it comes to some medical matters. The reason I am eating protein is because it is the only thing not causing massive gastro problems until midday. I never know whether it is my immune deficiency or thyroiditis attacking me or what, and mornings are vicious.

The NAFLD is new, seen on an abdominal sonogram in the Spring whereas 3 1/2years ago I had abdominal MRI and MRA with far better resolution showing none. The original one was during time I was losing muscle mass and in constant pain for a few years with seemingly normal liver except one small punctate cyst there and another in the kidney and nothing else alarming. Now I also have microalbumuria, i.e. the beginning of kidney problems. I have been writing about occasionally scary edema, hard to know whether heart condition or something else. So I try to get muscle back and maybe I am craving protein. It is working to an extent. Newly, I can bend my knees and squat to sit up and sit down in a chair which was very hard to impossible for a while. My goal by year end is to walk around my block and attend my small neighborhood's Halloween potluck block party and nor scream in pain after twenty minutes. And after that, I am going to get on a plane and visit my farthest away son in the far northwest instead of him having to come see me.

When I first came on this forum, I quickly saw some posts by someone very like myself except British Isles. That was late November of 2015. I was suffering from a strangle kind of meningitis along with the other issues. My initial reflection was that the person like me had left the forum or was just struggling too much to post for a while. It turned out she had just died. I feel very fortunate to be able to write you this message and to learn something new to help myself a couple years later.

As far as the obesity thing, I was of two minds about it for years. One is that the nice doctors were calling me "well nourished" while the really dismissive ones were calling me obese. It was when I finally began to lose some weight that I realized that the terms were ludicrous. That's when I figured out that the difference between helpful and dismissive were that there was one category of healthcare folks who were capable of celebrating my successes and supporting my struggles and another sort who sought to see how I failed to fit some non compliant impossible to reach imaginary goal and used pejorative phraseology and terms to match. But that was with healthcare situations.

In personal life, I tried to find and cook the best diet possible for all the people I cared for, tried to follow a decent diet myself and otherwise just tried to do what I could, cognizant of my shortcomings and kind of self checking till I got to my next confession.. In other words, when I got over 195 pounds, I didn't become depressed, I just got on with life and tried to be more aware. But I stopped weighing myself. A legacy of that period that I still have today is that I literally hate weighing myself with clothes on at a doctor's because the weight is dependent on what I am wearing that day and has very little real reference. When I got myself down to 172, which I thought was my permanent weight, I tried to tone up, exercise more, etc. When one of the nicer one of my docs said that I could die if I didn't lose some weight, I went on the pcrm.org diet (vegan, fat restricted, not the kind of food I pine to eat) and reached another plateau for a few years of 159.

Got to my new norm of 143 with more normal food for me which is a combo of international food within gastro allergy dietary restrictions. Don't think I will ever reach that 10% additional weight loss the Hepatologist wants. I was born hungry.

But as far as weight loss surgery is concerned, I kind of wish it had been around when I was trying to lose the first chunk of weight and I feel I would not be diabetic if that had occurred, because it really is a type 2 cure. And maybe some of the other co-morbidities would not have happened.

I am intrigued by your statement that there are drugs that cause NAFLD, so if you know about any of that, please post.
@Contralto there is an excellent post about fatty liver. Do a search 'Fatty Liver'. I found it very educational too.
As I've always known you have been fighting your excess weight like me all your life. Leptin is the cause. The hunger hormone. Research is going on with it as we speak so hang on in there!
I too thought I was a goner in Nov 2016. I couldnt breath and had chest pains which at the time was disregarded as nothing too important. So I had a fantastic xmas which resulted in adding weight. I reached 138kgs and decided to lose seriously from there!
If your high protein diet is helping with mobility then maybe a temporary diet on it to resolve immobility may not be a bad thing.
Like I said thou the protein you don't lose will be converted to fat just like carbs, increasing your bgs too which for me , makes me hungry (like carbs).
Maybe just reduce your protein, a little?
I too am highly insulin resistant the most on a morning! I think many type2s are too? So the protein breakfast with fat seems to be the perfect solution! Protein so less spike and fat so it's effects last longer into the day. Fat is renowned for slowing digestion!!!
So slower digestion allows the body to absorb more nutrients in the intestines!!!
I wee out my excess nutrients, like everyone unless they have a gene defect.
My aim with bariatric surgery is to just absorb what I need and no more. So I'll be on multivitamins for life there after. With half of my intestines no longer able to absorb any.
What I've agreed with health professionals is...... overeating causes more hunger which causes more over eating til satiety is reached.
Satiety seems to be a big thing for insulin resistant suffers.
Good satiety and low calories = weight loss which can be endured.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Contralto - There is a Fatty Liver Thread on this Forum. Would you like me to tag you on it?:)

Reactions: ickihun

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm kind of surviving on proteins lately - went to my first liver doc exam in my life. he spent a great deal of time explaining two kinds of liver disease and some kind of connective tissue problem and all of it went over my head. I tried to take notes and he kept saying it would be in his notes. I took a look at those notes and I am wishing now I took my own notes because a lot of the info is not there. A lot of what he was saying is that somehow if I became a winner with diabetes, and I'm not despite good efforts and I can have certain drugs, and I had perfect cardiac control, and I'm, allergic to some of those meds, too and I exercised away my metabolic syndrome obesity then I could cure the liver and he excitedly showed me two pics of biopsies of liver slide one of which just had fat globules nestling happily among the regular liver cells and one of which not only had the fat globules but also had small morphed cells with darker red nucleus looking spots. For the life of me, I cannot discern which one of those two slides I am, the fat resting happily or the fat resting in not so smooth an environment.

I have lost a truckload of weight for my health but I remember back to student days while taking care of two preschoolers. I would feel faint sometimes and that faintness usually accompanied being under 135 pounds. He wants me to weigh 129. I just said no, too much muscle wasting, I want to be careful and target only that middle brown metabolic syndrome stuff

And it would be nice to know which of those slides a biopsy of my liver is likely to be. And I am worried over what damage may have been done to my pancreas from taking too many years of Byetta

Other thing he mentioned which may be of use to someone is that Vitamin E is used to help treat liver disease but is not recommended for diabetics. So, I said that a podiatrist had suggested I am defficient in Vit. E and that I take it and then he couldn't find why Diabetics can have it. He couldn't find the reason

Just ranting, sorry. I want an instant tone up

was 141.6 after breakfast and after dinner ws 143

it seems a high protein food actually helps fatty-liver disease
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2016...-in-people-with-type-2-diabetes-94851578.html

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yesterday was high bgs out of the blue but so far no added weight as a result, it may be delayed thou. Weighing myself on monday morning for FLO. I think a small loss from last monday but I'll weigh before breakfast.
I'm still in shock over yesterday's fbg of 11.2 I cannot understand it. Must be weighing heavily in heat?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I weighed this morning I have retained water due to the heat so 0.9kg more than friday. Mind u I am due my monthlies.
Here's hoping friday's weigh-in isn't scuppered by heat and water retention. ;)

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Late to the party this week. The good news is that I have just hit my target weight of 84 kg. 83.8 kg exactly now. So have lost 50 kg since starting in September.

Currently back in the UK enjoying the beautiful weather. Targeting to walk 42 km (marathon) over a whole day. It is such a pleasure being outside compared to the oven like conditions of the middle east.

Reactions: Prem51

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Up to 7stone !!2more ounces and I am back to the weight that I was when I got married 54 years ago !
CAROL

Reactions: Prem51 and jonbvn

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A day early - but I want to crow - 227lb this morning - only just but I am now losing weight again after a pause of several months.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
yes, Wm, need all the help I can get cause like magic the edema is baaaaaaack
The heat has kicked mine off again too. My stomach like a water balloon. When I inject it's going into fluid I'm retaining, I feel. Shame needle couldnt release it like a balloon. Ha ha

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Weighed by dn and in 4wks I've lost 9lb. :) Only downside is her scales weighed me as 128.00kgs. That is nearly 2kgs (5lb) as fluid :(
Should have been 14lb loss! :(
I'll see what my scales weigh me in the morning.

Does peppermint tea help with water retention @Contralto ?
All i have in at mo.

rainbow79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking about teas I have recently discovered redbush rooibos tea, drinking 6 cups a day for last 2 weeks both hot and chilled and have lost 3lbs when my weight has been stable for months, also lists in health benefits it has positive effects for diabetes, have attached link. Has anyone else been drinking this tea and found similar results?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....alth-benefits-of-red-rooibos-tea.html?isamp=1

Reactions: Liam1955

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the roibush tea sounds like a good idea

horsetail tea helps waterretension

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lost 2kg exactly this week - 22.6 kg in total :)

Was too upset to eat breakfast yesterday - so that traded off against the bacon on toast I had for lunch as a treat

Reactions: Freema and Prem51