Having trouble going to the bathroom on a low carb diet?

jettcrash11

Ever since I started this low carb diet I have been having trouble going to the bathroom, number 2. What is the cause of this? What can I do to make this better on a daily basis. I take fiber but it doesn't seem to be helping. I eat lettuce too, salads with it once a day. As of right now I go a little. And to go like I used to I need a laxative. Is there any other way?

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Add in more fibre, e.g. kayle, fruit within reason, cashew nuts, add seeds, pulses to your salads. Increase the amount of water.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Water and more water.

Reactions: lessci

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jettcrash11 - I tend to be in agreement with @Serena51 . Start by increasing your water intake; especially where you state you take fibre.

Some people do report this unfortunate situation for a while, whilst their bodies adjust to their new way of eating. Hopefully iy'll be resolved soon for you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you might just be seeing the effects of fewer carbs, there is less to dispose of so you just don't need to do as much.
If you want to get more fibre in your diet, add a little dessicated coconut to your yoghurt or berries and cream - even to the coleslaw or mayonnaise in your salad. Don't try to eat it 'dry' as you can inhale it as it is so light.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried some milled flaxseed? I use it to sprinkle on my food rather like you would sprinkle some pepper or salt. It works well for me, and I need to be careful not to take too much!

Otherwise, I agree with everyone that has recommended water.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I sometimes use Lactulose as a "stool softener" which helps. I was told that it was safe for long term use including by diabetics.

This is different (I understand) from a laxative, although if you take a lot you can't really tell the difference. Most web references seem to term it a laxative.

Basically a type of sugar which is not absorbed by the body and encourages fermentation in the gut and water uptake.

My main issue on LCHF is that I am eating far less than I used to and the things I am not eating, including potatoes, pasta, wholemeal bread etc. all seem to be sources of dietary fibre.

On a marginally related note, I was thinking of posting something more or less on the same subject.
I've just come back from holiday, which tends to disrupt my regular toilet regime, and I noted that I had gained weight. Back into the routine with small daily doses of Lactulose and things are moving along nicely and my weight is going down again.

Makes me wonder exactly how much weight we carry around in our intestines.

Oh, and at times a dahl can work for me; a bit carb heavy but effective.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ever since I started this low carb diet I have been having trouble going to the bathroom, number 2. What is the cause of this? What can I do to make this better on a daily basis. I take fiber but it doesn't seem to be helping. I eat lettuce too, salads with it once a day. As of right now I go a little. And to go like I used to I need a laxative. Is there any other way?
I think you need to remember that you are eating better fuel for your body so there will be less waste.
I used to "go" 2 or even 3 times a day but now generally eating less and I think better I only feel the need every other day or so. When making big changes to diet it can upset the digestion but I would be wary about taking extra fibre.
Let your body take care of itself rather than trying to force it back into old habits. Are you feeling ill with this or is it simply a new thing for you?
If you are feeling ill with it then some (a teaspoon or max 2) magnesium citrate dissolved in water will probably have a very enlightening effect.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could also be that you are low on salt as a home cooked food diet contains a lot less than prepared food so maybe add some extra salt too and make sure you are well hydrated.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I'm repeating a lot of what has been said above, but
- drink more than you think you need (water is absorbed in the colon, just before the 'exit'. You need to drink enough that your body is free to leave some water as a lubricant, rather than extracting every drop to keep you hydrated).
- add more veg. Salads have very little fibre. You need proper veg like cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, sugarsnaps... Things with texture and solidity.
- nuts are fantastic
- flaxseeds (in smoothies, baking, on yoghurt, on salads...)
- chia seeds (in baking, as puddings, on salads)
- psyllium husks (in cooking, in drinks, in baking)

All of the above are brilliant, and will probably mean you won't need anything from a pharmacy. :)

Reactions: Snapsy

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first started LCHF I had the same issue. I corrected it by eating more broccoli and cauliflour.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't experienced this problem, and count myself lucky. A few things I do that might be the reason for my regularity are:
  • I eat a large amount and variety of veg, particularly cruciferous, including homemade sauerkraut.
  • I eat kefir cheese and drink kefir whey daily (I love fermented foods and I understand they are excellent for gut health). I make my own.
  • I drink a huge amount, in excess of 5l per day.
  • I don't eat low fat, and - bear with me here, it's just a guess - I think the fat in my diet is likely to, erm, ease the way, as it were....
@jettcrash11 the body is pretty adaptable and with luck yours might without too much trouble for much longer get used to the new low carb state of affairs. Hope it's just an initial blip.

:)

Reactions: Prem51

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

There's a difference between needing to go and no being able to (constipation) and simply not having gone for a few days. Don't get them confused.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband had a problem with constipation when he first started on low carb and Metformin. He was taking Ducolax without much success then his doctor said she did not want him to take that. She gave him a laxative called Cosmocol a fruit flavoured powder that is dissolved in water...although he said it does not taste very fruity... she said a soluble one is better than tablets and it worked for him. He got it on prescription but I think you can buy it

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Have you tried some milled flaxseed? I use it to sprinkle on my food rather like you would sprinkle some pepper or salt. It works well for me, and I need to be careful not to take too much!

Otherwise, I agree with everyone that has recommended water.

I had this trouble at first and it can be quite distressing, but I added flax seed and other seeds to a yogurt and that seemed to help me, and cauliflower. I will eat Brussel Sprouts as the are very high in fiber, they help also

Reactions: Bluetit1802