Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi. Iam new to this forum but quite old to T2 condition. It has been a few years and fairly well controlled with metformin and healthy eating habits. The reason I joined this forum is because I am seeking answers and suggestions regarding an unusually low Cholesterol condition I have along side of my T2. I will post a question in the appropriate thread.
Welcome to the forum @keith8.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi I am Gary, been T2 for over 10 years. I have been a member here for a little while, but, i haven't made myself known to fellow diabetics, mainly because i never know what to say about the condition. I have been researching DM and it's effect on the body. and as you probably all well know it's never good reading. I am impressed with the findings of a LCHF diet though. been reading, Dr Jason Fung and Tim Noakes. and various others. just over 3 weeks ago i embarked on this LCHF crusade as my Blood Sugars were so diverse, i must admit i drank heavily especially beer. and have promised myself to abstain for 3 months and follow THE diet, in the last 3 weeks since stopping drinking and eating VLCHF i have found my blood sugars have never been above 7 mmols in the morning, and keeping them around 6.0 and 4.5 during the day. no noticeable spikes after eating. i have reduced my Insulin injections from over 200 units per day. to 40 units morning and 35 in the evening and this regime is working great with my Blood sugar control. i have only lost a minimal amount of weight in 3 weeks around 8 pounds in the first week and it's still hovering around the same mark after 3 weeks as it was after the 1st week. i don'tt know if this is normal. esecially as i am still injecting insulin. a well known fat storage hormone. but i have to be hones the neuropathy in my feet has definitely lessened in intensity. I actually walk without having to hobble around. so that's a plus. but i just wondered if anyone else has taken with the LCHF diet and found losing weight to be an issue. and i have followed the rules, i only eat real high fat foods, Beef, Pork, Lamb, Fish never cut the fat off. and mostly cruciferous vegetables, no root veg. i have cut out, potatoes rice bread rolls cakes anything with sugar is a no no. i may need to get my metabolism boosted as i am pretty sedentary. so i might have to start looking at exercise sessions. thanks for reading Gaz
Welcome to the forum @Gazzamius.

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
Hi I'm a type 2 diabetic since 2008. In July 2015 suffered a stroke and was told my diabetes was not in control. Immediately changed GPS to a good GP with a good track record managing diabetics. In June 2016 started on Lantus insulin. It was not producing desired results so put on a combination of Lantus / NovoRapid insulin in December 2017.

F1_fan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being sat at home, not being able to work.
Type 1 for 5 years, and have had constant health problems.
The forum looks brilliant, and am hoping to find the answers to some of my problems.

alfie2000

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not diabetic or pre-diabetic (although afraid I could become if I don't behave better). I am 65 and have been retired for 10 years.

I am consistent about working out, however I gain/lose/gain/lose far too much (due to frequent travel). I joined this forum because I am going healthy low carb. I trust this forum because of it being part of Diabetes UK. Not sure I trust other low carb forums to give me the right advice.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Not diabetic or pre-diabetic (although afraid I could become if I don't behave better). I am 65 and have been retired for 10 years.

I am consistent about working out, however I gain/lose/gain/lose far too much (due to frequent travel). I joined this forum because I am going healthy low carb. I trust this forum because of it being part of Diabetes UK. Not sure I trust other low carb forums to give me the right advice.
Welcome to the forum @alfie2000. You are on the right track. Eat healthy, get regular exercise and avoid fad diets as they will do more harm than good. Remember, less processing = better health benefits.

Goldielocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Alison
- How old are you? 61
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Near Sheffield
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Caring, reserved, independent
- Do you have any pets? Yes, two ancient cats.
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Don't do any sport but just starting to watch Wimbledon.
- Do you get angry easily? No - life's too short.
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Very old fashioned so no, no tattoos. Pierced ears.
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Adele is only one I can think of (although I do like quite a lot of modern music - just don't know who the artist is!) - usually listen to classical or opera
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Classical or opera. Used to play the piano - enjoy piano music. Best holidays include Verona Opera Festival which I've been to several times...
- What is your favourite flag? ? Am I missing something? Didn't know people had favourite flags!
- Ever gone camping? Yes many years ago. Enjoy my comforts too much to want to do it these days though.
- Ever been in love? Yes - a couple of times. Love my cats best in the world currently.
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? Most of Europe (lived in France for a while), Iceland, Norway, Kenya, Tanzania, Seychelles, Russia, Georgia, America, Canada, Alaska, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and most recently, Falkland Islands!!!
- Favourite city? Rome or Vancouver, although actually I prefer the wide open spaces with scenery and wildlife to any/all cities.
- List your five favourite TV programmes. News, Horizon, Panorama, Documentaries generally
- List your five favourite films. Don't watch them very often...
- Are you wealthy? I wish... but I'm lucky enough to have what I need.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Newly retired. Used to be a chartered accountant, then operations director for large multinational, then stopped work to look after both parents and didn't feel like rejoining the rat race so set up in business as a maths and English tutor until last year.
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Economics & Statistics, Accountancy, Law, Languages, just about to embark on learning Arabic
- What do you like most about yourself? Don't have many friends but those I do have are very special to me and I'll always be there for them - so I'd say I am loyal and I value that in my friends and myself.
- What do you like least about yourself? Sometimes the "independence" bit goes too far and I can be too self contained, too much of a loner, so people think I'm aloof. And as my interests aren't especially trendy, I think lots of people find me difficult to get to know which is a bit sad. Difficult to become an extrovert when that's not the way you're made!

Have fun!

alfie2000

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome to the forum @alfie2000. You are on the right track. Eat healthy, get regular exercise and avoid fad diets as they will do more harm than good. Remember, less processing = better health benefits.

Thanks! Very little processed food in this house.

Mark3107

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- What is your name? Mark
- How old are you? 49
- Are you male or female? Male, the last time I looked.
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? East Yorkshire
- Are you religious? No - it's the root of many of the world's evils, as far as I'm concerned.
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Rusty old matelot, but for a more realistic viewpoint, you'd have to ask others.
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft, unfortunately. After nearly 30 years of using MS, it's probably too late to start learning Apple's OS.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Playing days are over - dodgy knee & broken Tibia saw to that. Enjoy watching Football (Rangers Fan), Speedway, Moto GP/Superbikes, Curling (Eve Muirhead & the Girls)
- Do you get angry easily? Frustrated more like - yes. Anger - I tend to leave to individual actions that go against my grain
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Credence Clearwater Revival; Bruce Springsteen; 10,000 Maniacs; Trisha Yearwood; Celine Dion (yes, really!)
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? It's all over the place....punk to opera. Against Me to Marley to Bizet. Basically anything but Dance, Hip-Hop, Garage, (c)Rap.....I think you get my drift.
- What is your favourite flag? White Ensign, followed by the Union Flag
- Ever gone camping? A couple of times in my youth & early military career. Much preferred being in a steel box in a force 12 storm than being under canvas - far more civilised.
- Ever been in love? Yes, but her with me...........?
- Ever used fake tan? No - I despise the notion of its use.
- Which countries have you visited?
Holidays - Wales & Spain (both pre-Navy life)
Work in the Navy - Ye Gods... in alphabetical order...Anguilla, Antigua, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium,Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, China (incl Hong Kong), Denmark, Egypt, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece (and several islands), Germany, Gibraltar, Grenada, Guatemala, India, Italy (incl Sicily), Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Martinique, Montserrat, Morocco, Netherlands (incl Dutch Antilles), Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Russia (and once when known as the USSR), Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Scotland (based there on and off for 8 years), Singapore, South Korea, Spain, St Lucia, Sweden, Syria, Thailand, Trinidad, Turkey, Ukraine, UAE, US Virgin Islands, USA, and finally Vietnam. Visited several of them numerous times with Gibraltar being the most frequent (at least 25 visits)
- Favourite city? Copenhagen, Gibraltar, Hamilton (Bermuda),and Singapore are my favourites - Singers, but only just over Gib.
- List your five favourite TV programmes.The Americans; Taggart (with or without Jim); NCIS; Deadliest Catch; 24 Hours in A&E / Police Custody
- List your five favourite films. Das Boot, Bugsy Malone (complete with the legendary Splurge Guns!); Kelly's Heroes; Ronin; Stalingrad
- Are you wealthy? No - still waiting for the x5 (or x6 or x7 - I'm not greedy!) single winning EuroMillions Rollover ticket
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes - civil servant
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Logistics, logistics, and er.....logistics. Trying to learn to speak German for planned visit next year.
- What do you like most about yourself? That I stepped forward and served Queen & Country for 24 years and did my bit.
- What do you like least about yourself? The ill health that has plagued me since 2004

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone help me please, I'm not even sure I'm posting this in the right place. I have type 2 diabetes and take Metformen and Gliclazide with Insulin once a day in the morning, Insurance Basel 100 IU/ml and I click to 36 units now. I have put on so much weight in the last year and it's making life so difficult for me. I have arthritis in my feet, hands and knees as well as hips so not being very active is making my life hell. I have also developed an iron deficiency to the point of being less than 12. Please can someone help me my doctor seems at a loss to understand how awful it is at just 68 not to be able to walk more than a few yards and not being able to do my garden is terrible for me. Please help! Gillian
a7950931b9e871bb8cf93d6a438b085f.jpg

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Robinson-Brett . There's a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum who maybe able to help.
I'll tag @DCUKMod . You may benefit from your post being in the type 2 section and she may move it for you.
Welcome to the forum.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone help me please, I'm not even sure I'm posting this in the right place. I have type 2 diabetes and take Metformen and Gliclazide with Insulin once a day in the morning, Insurance Basel 100 IU/ml and I click to 36 units now. I have put on so much weight in the last year and it's making life so difficult for me. I have arthritis in my feet, hands and knees as well as hips so not being very active is making my life hell. I have also developed an iron deficiency to the point of being less than 12. Please can someone help me my doctor seems at a loss to understand how awful it is at just 68 not to be able to walk more than a few yards and not being able to do my garden is terrible for me. Please help! Gillian

Robinson-Brett - I would be happy to move your post to an area where it may receive more specific replies. The area I would suggest would be the "Type 2 with Insulin" area. It's here, if you would like to look at some of the content before deciding: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-2-with-insulin.57/

Thanks for tagging me @therower

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
What is your name?

Johnny Baker (a sufferer of Asperger Syndrome and type 2 diabetes mellitus, insulin resistant.

How old are you?

Are you male or female?

I'm a man

What country are you from?

England

Which city or area do you live in?

Vauxhall, south west London although I grew up in Finchley, north London.

Are you religious?

I'm church of England but am interested in the Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses' teachings

Pick three words to describe your personality?

Kind, caring, friendly

Do you have any pets?

No, but I love cats

Microsoft or Apple?

Neither, I have a Chromebook lap top computer

Which sports, if any,do you like/play?

None

Do you get angry easily?

Occasionally I have sensory overload, a facet of my mood cycle which can precipitate an autistic meltdown but they're very short lived

Do you have any tattoos/piercings, if so where?

I don't have any tattoos/piercings.

List your favourite musicians/bands?

ELO
Bee Gees
Abba
The Carpenters
David Essex
David Soul

Favourite music genre?

1970s glamrock, disco and ballads

What is your favourite flag?

union jack

Ever gone camping?

As a little boy in Suffolk in maple leaf camping site

Ever been in love?

no

Ever used fake tan?

No

which countries have you visited?

Spain
~Mallorca
Czech republic
Austria
Switzerland
Hungary
France
Germany
Luxembourg
Holland

Favourite city?

Jerusalem

Favourite 5 TV

Good Luck Charlie
Shake it up
Liv and Maddie
Stuck in the middle
Bizaardvark

Favourite 5 films

Frozen
The Dream Team
Dumb and Dumber
Dumb and Dumber To
Pinocchio

Are you wealthy?

No I'm on a low income

Do work? if so, where?

I'm unemployed with disability

List the subjects you study/have studied?

None

What do you like most about yourself?

My friendliness

What do you like least about yourself?

My mood swings

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance

Hi. Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. It must also be very frustrating just not to be able to have the therapeutic value and pleasure of getting in about your garden.You don't mention your blood sugar levels, so I can't see if all your meds are being really effective in keeping your glucose levels normalish. I know it is weight that is causing the immediate issue though, and I can't help much there because I have never had to diet for that reason. My diet is aimed at keeping the blood sugar down - so it is low on carbohydrates (ie. I avoid food like bread, cereal, pasta, potatoes, rice etc as well as sugary stuff). If you think you could cut down in these food it can only help you lose weight and will help with blood sugar levels...but you are on meds and insulin so I would advise talking to your doctor about the possibility of coming off the Gliclazide (a drug which won't help with weight) and trying a lower carbohydrate diet if you think you are up to it. At minimum, eat a little bit less of those kinds of food. Good luck, I hope you are back in the garden soon.

Fluffycat_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- What is your name?
Donna

- How old are you?

- Are you male or female?
Female

- Which country are you from?
United Kingdom

- Which city/area do you live in?
Staffordshire

- Are you religious?
I wouldn't say so, no

- Pick three words to describe your personality.
caring, tactful, shy

- Do you have any pets?
I have two cats called Sooty (boy) Sweep (girl)

- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
I like to watch horse events like dressarge, show jumping. Don't play any

- Do you get angry easily?
No takes at lot to wind me up but when i blow watch out!

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
I have my ears done no tattoos

- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Frank sintra, The kinks, The rag and bone man, Abba and Carpenters

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Mixed like all sorts but probley 50's & 60's

- What is your favourite flag?
Don't have one

- Ever gone camping?
Once in november in pouring rain never again unless in a dormatry like brownies

- Ever been in love?
No

- Ever used fake tan?
No happy pale

Wales never had a passport not bothed about travel

- Favourite city?
Don't have one

- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Bewtiched up to seris 5 , CSI any! , vera, come dine with me and pitch battle at momant

- List your five favourite films.
High sociaty, white Christmas, Grease 2 , An American in paris, On the town

- Are you wealthy?
No not money but love my mom to pices.

- Do you work? If so, as what?
Yes, I work as a support worker with adults who have learning disabilites and challenging behavior.

- What do you like most about yourself?
I supose my eyes as mom says there like my dads ( passed away when i was 11)

- What do you like least about yourself?
Most things that i have a form of Dyslexia mainly spelling as you can tell !

What did you study
Lots all care based child care up to nvq2 care/ special needs nvq3

I am caring and honest will help any one if i can
I have very little confidance
Personal note most tell me i was born too late as you see from my film/ music choices. I am quite shy and hate partys as feel akward i am great with tec as don't have to do face to face but very passanate about my job and can talk for hours about it and disablility issues and i am my mom's carer as well.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.

Have fun!
Hello, my name is Frances Presland, I live in the UK and I am in my late fifties. I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2 in the autumn of 2015. I appear to be a TOFI (Thin Outside Fat Inside), and I find that small things affect my blood sugar a lot. Just being a few pounds overweight or having a period of stress can have a big impact on my BG readings.

I am interested in fasting and one meal a day eating after reading The Complete Guide to Fasting by Jason Fung, and the Fast Five diet by Bert Herring, to see if these eating regimes can help resolve some of the problems I am seeing and actually let me become Boss of my metabolism - which is running rings round me at the moment!

Reactions: KezG and Prem51

kulusell

Type of diabetes
Type 2

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.

Have fun!
My name is Lucretia and i an 54 years old single mother of two teenagers was diagnosis with diabetes 1999

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Fingers crossed @Robinson-Brett. Some useful information is somewhere here. Keep your spirits up and don't forget we are all behind you.