Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook
Try varying the extent to which you cook it.

I have just been through a 'medium' phase, but at the weekend I had a 'rare' and thought why did I ever move to 'medium' this is soooooo much nicer. :hilarious:

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thanks @Brunneria Good idea - I'll definitely give that a try. I'm usually a 'medium' girl but I'll try cooking it less. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have a C word dinner party in July every year:p:shy:
Hubby's family in Australia have the c word works in July as well. Mid winter to them. They do it all again in December but that is either in air conditioned heaven or outdoors depending on the temperature.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think its a lovely idea. I love C-word but I don't think it would be the same on a hot day. I don't like snow but its the one day I would welcome it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I'll definitely continue with my Sunday vegetables - I enjoy them while I'm eating them and I have put a lot of effort in to growing the veg we love best. I'm sure my digestive system will get used to being assaulted by veg on Sundays. :)

I hate to say this, but I'm getting a bit bored with steak. I never thought I would say that.....

I am beginning to understand what various bloggers mean when they say that food stops being 'entertainment' and becomes just fuel - that is so right. I don't look forward to my meals like I used to - I think its the 'sameness' of it. Kristin, I know you love your avocados, but don't you get bored with having the same thing every day?

(Mr Chook does most of the low carb baking in this house. You should see the kitchen when he's finished - its like a war zone.)
Strange as it is and as surprising as it is I never get bored of avocado. I do different things with it though. It's probably because it's the perfect fuel and meal balancer for me. If I don't have it I'm hungry and bs fluctuates and I don't feel as well. I love gooey food so that works. Lately bf is just a quick smash with sea salt and chopped basil.
Lunch it's usually smashed into some deli meat and rolled. Dinner WAS chopped into a salad or into a chopped salad without lettuce but with chicken, turkey etc and some other cold raw veggies like celery radish onion.
My proteins change all the time so this staves off boredom. Different condiments, sauces and herbs change things too. I used to LOVE to cook. Now I just eat. Meals are small and simple. Eat and move on. It took awhile to get there. Cooking, cleaning, planning was too much and caused me anxiety.

I think I would get bored of steak but not burgers, rare lamb chops, chicken thighs , shrimp or eggs. Then there's always smoked salmon. That might bore me after awhile. Are you doing zero carbs as in mayo or mustard isn't allowed? Then I would have isssues with hard boiled eggs and tuna. I like mayo based sauces like mixing mayo with mustard, horseradish or spicy sauces.

Now I have a new issue. Since cutting back on cheese, eating a lighter dinner and leaving 4 hours between food and lantus my fasting has come right down fast and by a lot. I'm taking two lantus and waking up exactly where I went to bed however the last two nights I tested around 3 am and was in the high 50's after going to bed mid 80's. Now I have to figure out what snack macro will even that out. Or I might have to take one lantus and wake up a bit higher and just fix it in the morning. I'm thinking something fatty would stop the drop without a rise like some macadamia nuts. Any ideas?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Kristin251 How about salami or other fatty deli meats? I love cream/soft cheese wrapped in salami - so many different flavours to choose from.

Nope - no mayo or mustard (yet) - this evening I am making myself a chicken thigh curry in the crockpot - just browned the chicken thighs in butter then cooked with spices and a splash of water. About half an hour before I'm ready to eat I'd add in some thick (heavy) cream to heat through.

Burgers are okay - but not every day, same with steak and fish - although I do love oily fish. I do eat a lot of eggs (mainly with bacon for breakfast) but I hadn't though of chopping them with tinned tuna for a different kind of lunch. Actually, I've almost given up with lunch, I have a small breakfast and rarely feel hungry until dinner time - and sometimes not even then. :(

I could live on lamb chops but would seriously miss the tiny new potatoes and asparagus to go with them (that is my 'last meal before I die' choice).

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251 How about salami or other fatty deli meats? I love cream/soft cheese wrapped in salami - so many different flavours to choose from.

Nope - no mayo or mustard (yet) - this evening I am making myself a chicken thigh curry in the crockpot - just browned the chicken thighs in butter then cooked with spices and a splash of water. About half an hour before I'm ready to eat I'd add in some thick (heavy) cream to heat through.

Burgers are okay - but not every day, same with steak and fish - although I do love oily fish. I do eat a lot of eggs (mainly with bacon for breakfast) but I hadn't though of chopping them with tinned tuna for a different kind of lunch. Actually, I've almost given up with lunch, I have a small breakfast and rarely feel hungry until dinner time - and sometimes not even then. :(

I could live on lamb chops but would seriously miss the tiny new potatoes and asparagus to go with them (that is my 'last meal before I die' choice).
Love love love salami wrapped around cream cheese but dairy isn't my friend anymore. I'm tolraeting certain cheeses but cream cheese isn't one of them. A potato wouldn't be the same if not doused in butter with a dollop of sour cream but no sour cream now so don't miss the potato haha.

Ewww, it be hard with no condiments. I'm more about ultra low carb than just animals and fish.

Speaking of, someone gave me a tip when you have bloating. 1/4-1/2 tsp baking soda in a little water. Slap it back. I tried it last night and burped 3 times within minutes. Bloat ALL gone. There is a test for stomach acid using baking soda. Do as above. If you burp within 2 min you have high acid, within 3-4 normal and if you don't burp after 5 min low acid. When I did it in the morning I didn't burp until 4 pm lol. I'm keeping this little gem in the forefront of my brain. It was so great. Then digested dinner with complete ease.

Maybe I could try half of a grass fed hot dog? Are you thinking protein and fat or just fat? Or a few chunks of cold lamb chops!! How hard would that be?? Haha. Lamb chops are my holiday go to meals though I eat them often anyway. Just a good excuse. Funny I always pair them with garlic roasted asparagus and rosemary roasted sweet potato for company !! Perfect meal. I just don't eat the sweet potato. Ok, maybe a taste.

Hm... I think I'll give the chunk of lamb chop a try. I love it cold as much as hot. Just needs to be rare.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
How about creamy spreadable goat's cheese? Ordinary cheese can be a bit upsetting for me but goat's cheese is never a problem. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How about creamy spreadable goat's cheese? Ordinary cheese can be a bit upsetting for me but goat's cheese is never a problem. :)
Any recommendations that don't taste like goat? I've tried a few that are just nasty. Too gamey but willing to give it a try. Maybe they have herbed ones. I would love to find one like herbed cream cheese without the goat after taste.

I think tonight I'm going to just back down lantus to one unit but agree cheese before bed might keep me from dropping and not a large rise if one unit doesn't work. I don't care for being in the 50's!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I have French Soft Goats Cheese or Spreadable Goats Cheese - both from Asda - both really lovely.

My zero carb chicken thigh curry cooked for too long in the slow cooker and mostly fell apart but it tasted very nice and I have enough left over for another two meals to freeze. :)

While eating my curry I realised there are quite a few ketogenic Diet Doctor recipes I can try out - just a bit of tweaking needed to get rid of the carbs (which are mostly vegetable carbs).

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have French Soft Goats Cheese or Spreadable Goats Cheese - both from Asda - both really lovely.

My zero carb chicken thigh curry cooked for too long in the slow cooker and mostly fell apart but it tasted very nice and I have enough left over for another two meals to freeze. :)

While eating my curry I realised there are quite a few ketogenic Diet Doctor recipes I can try out - just a bit of tweaking needed to get rid of the carbs (which are mostly vegetable carbs).
I'll take a look here. We don't have Asda. But I'm sure I can find French.

Too bad about the chicken. As long as it wasn't dry!

I was thinking today why everything seems so simple lately. Realized without going to the store all the time to get fresh veg, wash, chop, store and clean up there's not much to do but find some meat and slice an avocado!! Enjoying the simplicity.
I lov having leftovers or loads of protein batched cooked and frozen. I always have whatever I'm in the mood for. I defrost in cold water so I'm not cooking it again.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Well thank you too!! You just made me realize how much even a few Brussels sprouts can induce hunger! I was just telling my hubby how I'm just not really hungry for anything anymore. Enjoying just a nibble here and there. Cheese avocado and Macs. I do enjoy a small amount of protein with lush and dinner and need it so I don't hypo. A few veggies late in the day or with a meal dont seem to be as bad as before 5:00.
I really enjoy not being hungry as I was always hungry for 50 years before avocado. Even excess protein made me hungry. Though I love veggies I love fat.
As I said earlier I inadvertently did this by just the simple aversion to veggies recently but you brought to my attention it did completely kill my appetite. I don't need to lose weight so we shall see where this goes but my stomach is much happier. I'll save my carbs for grapes ( wine ). I think we process carbs differently late in the day too.
Something to find out....
Absolutely the timing of carb intake is crucail. after 5:00 pm, carbs have to take a nose dive for me.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have been reading all of your posts and am worried about the amount of protein that people are eating, and not hardly eating any veg. Can this not cause a danger of lacking in other nutrients or cause Osteoporosis or lack other important vitamins? I have a heart condition and have been told over the 12 years not to eat too much protein. I can understand the lowering of carbs but no carbs?or hardly any veg? Bacon is a processed meat. I would eat it now and then but not on a regular basis. Salmon is only recommended twice a week because of Mercury etc. I usually skip breakfast because I am not hungry in the mornings. Today for lunch I had Mixed lettuce leaves.tomatoes, celery, cucumber, raw onion, some cheese and two slices of cold chicken. Evening meal consisted of Pork Chop, Cauliflower,Brocolli,and greens and a very small amount of gravy. Another lunch fav of mine is 2 poached eggs on spinach with mushrooms. The evening I may have vegetable soup. I also eat mixed berries. I understand though how some are saying that they are not as hungry, that is because our tummies are shrinking and expect less food to what we used to have. We get used to eating less,but I am concerned about the no carb and veg part. I have lost quite a bit of weight now and am very pleased. BS has gone down also

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I really wish I digested veg better. But if I'm not digesting I'm not absorbing. I don't think 4-5 oz protein per day is over eating. I eat 80% fat but most
Rd plant fats. Avocado, nuts, mayo, olives, olive oil. Can't see anything wrong there. Fructose malabsorption keeps me away from fruit as does blood sugar.

As long as I feel good, have energy etc. I'm good with my diet. We are all individuals and need various different diets. What works for one doesn't always work for another.

I'm far more worried about people eating 100+ g carbs or whatever amount causes spikes and hypos. Or IBS. Or high cholesterol. Listening to our meters and bodies are what matters. Not a one size fits all diet plan.

I love veggies. Wish they loved me back. Who doesn't love fruit? Not always appropriate for diabetics. Cheese is all yummy. Not good for people that are lactose and casein intolerant. Nic ebig rib eye steak? Nothing better. Kills my stomach.

Just saying.... we're all different. Carbs are not essential to life but protein and fat are

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eggs and Bacon for breakfast, skipped lunch - and salmon for dinner today.

I've just been telling friends about ZC which has helped clarify (a bit) about how I feel about continuing ZC right now. At the moment I think ZC is better for regulating BG than either the Newcastle 600 calorie diet or 600 calorie Blood Sugar Diet.

Apart from the BG aspect, my general feelings about it are that a diet based just on the animal kingdom and water is just a bit boring and I'm thinking its probably the reason I've lost interest in food and eating. (To make it worse my veggie garden is in full harvest with all kinds of gorgeous chemical free veg ready for harvest.)

I'm hoping this is just a slight bump in the road and I've decided I will carry on with ZC for another week then look seriously at how I'm doing and feeling both physically and mentally.

In addition my FBG was quite high (for me) this morning; it soon came down after breakfast but getting my FBG to consistent good levels was the main reason for attempting ZC.

Reactions: Ultramum

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yup! Only thing missing is sprouts

Thats brilliant!! I wonder if Mr Chook would consider a second summer C-word. Do you have it on the same day each year?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Eggs and Bacon for breakfast, skipped lunch - and salmon for dinner today.

I've just been telling friends about ZC which has helped clarify (a bit) about how I feel about continuing ZC right now. At the moment I think ZC is better for regulating BG than either the Newcastle 600 calorie diet or 600 calorie Blood Sugar Diet.

Apart from the BG aspect, my general feelings about it are that a diet based just on the animal kingdom and water is just a bit boring and I'm thinking its probably the reason I've lost interest in food and eating. (To make it worse my veggie garden is in full harvest with all kinds of gorgeous chemical free veg ready for harvest.)

I'm hoping this is just a slight bump in the road and I've decided I will carry on with ZC for another week then look seriously at how I'm doing and feeling both physically and mentally.

In addition my FBG was quite high (for me) this morning; it soon came down after breakfast but getting my FBG to consistent good levels was the main reason for attempting ZC.
I can see where I'd lose interest too. Though I love protein I would need some EVOO, mustard, mayo, olives nuts options.
I still have the aversion to veggies but I think it's because my stomach feels much better. I just did my basic macros for a friend based on what I'll eat today and it's 77% fat, 17% protein and 6% carbs.( not including wine and not giving it up) All from avoacdo and nuts. Somehow this is where Ive always ended up feeling best.

Can you freeze any veggies?

Has your weight changed?