**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hiya
I have deleted several drafts of this thread because they are a little whiny.

So here is the simplified version...

Anyone else struggle with disinterested (probably a bit too strong a word) partners? Or anyone have any tips that can help me try and drip feed him info?

He loves me and he understands to an extent but I don't feel he really truly understands the seriousness of the condition or how much time and energy I have to put into it.

Thanks Shell
xoxox

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is your partner open to the idea of attending your diabetes appointments, maybe that way he can see how much time and effort you put in to managing your type 1 diabetes.

Reactions: azure

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Is your partner open to the idea of attending your diabetes appointments, maybe that way he can see how much time and effort you put in to managing your type 1 diabetes.
He came along to one but he is a teacher and therefore can't always get to them... might arrange my next one for school holidays. Very good idea @noblehead x

D

Deleted Account

My BF appears to have limited interest in my diabetes. However, he was incredibly supportive when I had a serious hypo so I know he cares ... he just doesn't always think about the effects of eating lots of carbs or anything just before I go to bed.

On thing that helped was making it a bit of a game ... guess how many carbs in this meal. Certainly made him more aware and gave him something to do which made him feel useful.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Shell, I would write him a diary of your day and everything that connects you to your t1, so from waking to bedtime, how it affects your thinking, when you test, inject, what decisions you make about your management, food choices, exercise, activities, everything, it's quite a revelation so perhaps a tongue in cheek version relating to how many times you think about your boyfriend vs your t1 perhaps !

Reactions: Kim Possible

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think this is just a standard accidental human failing. My wife has an under active thyroid and used to explain the chronic fatigue, it was not until I got Type 2 and had similar tiredness that I trully got it, as she would just get on with things. My point is I would walk over hot coals for her, but did not have enough experience to really get it, your boy friend might be in a similar boat.

As for my wife after changing our family diet her energy levels have soared, and the scales are very kind, I have asked her to get her thyroid levels re-checked.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does he know why you put so much time and energy into it? The threat of very nasty complications if you didn't? That might give him a jolt, just like your hypo did.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hiya
I have deleted several drafts of this thread because they are a little whiny.

So here is the simplified version...

Anyone else struggle with disinterested (probably a bit too strong a word) partners? Or anyone have any tips that can help me try and drip feed him info?

He loves me and he understands to an extent but I don't feel he really truly understands the seriousness of the condition or how much time and energy I have to put into it.

Thanks Shell
xoxox

You could show him this post and the comment; you could show him on line the kinds of serious complications that can result of you don't focus on it so much. To be honest, you really need to sit him down and talk through how important it is to you that he realises you need support and his understanding...and do it when you are both in a good place rather than at a time when you feel wound up. I hope you get there. Lots of people's partners don't quite get it - but they need to! Don't be too nice!

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read a troubling post on the forum about retinopathy recently and said to my other half, have you seen this? He read it and I think, hopefully, the seriousness of all this will sink in over time.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @**shell** . My belief is that no one understands diabetes like a diabetic. It's not just a physical condition but even more so a mental/ emotional condition.
If a non diabetic fully understood diabetes they would have to be diabetic.
We can only attempt to help them understand our life.
My wife is fantastic and helps so much, but she will never understand and I never expect her to.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
He came along to one but he is a teacher and therefore can't always get to them... might arrange my next one for school holidays. Very good idea @noblehead x

Although the following is a lighthearted it does have a serious point on how demanding (and frustrating) type 1 diabetes can be, why not show him the vid @shell :

chlsybwnx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel for you, lovely, it must suck to feel that way!

If I was you, I'd definitely try and pop on some shows which feature some extreme emergencies to do with diabetes to raise the conversation. Every time me & my oh sit down and a diabetic emergency pops on the tv it always evolves into a full on conversation about control and all the effort we put in to stop that from being me etc.

A case of a dear type 1 lady who took an insulin overdose was on Louis Theroux's a different brain on Tuesday evening and it definitely sparked a huge conversation in our household about control and emotions of everyone in the house regarding my diabetes and the disease in general! So might be worth a try with something like that, just to raise the convo a little more?! :) x

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
f29c41fea8fd6fec5922d8672e2c9c1d.jpg

Pin it on your fridge!!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's more from Type 1 Uncut, they are great vids, especially for the younger generation who have type 1 :)
A font of information you be. At 53 do I still cut it as the younger generation?:(

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump