Almond flour

Jillycoops5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
I have a question I have seen that alot of people on here when baking cakes etc. use almond flour, coconut flour etc. does the almond flour taste of almonds? May sound like a stupid question but i like almonds to eat as nuts but can't abide the taste of things like marzipan or bake well tarts etc. because of the almond taste. I have recently got my self a BG monitor and by the readings it's looking like a very low carb diet is going to be the one to follow, seems my body doesn't like bread even the whole meal variety or bran type cereals sends my BG right up even when I have taken my metformin.

Thanks,

Jill

Reactions: KR50fifty

rtee

I've used both almond & coconut flours and I find them very palatable, but then I love almonds and coconut!!!
I suppose there is a slight taste of almonds, but it's not strong like marzipan. Just get some ground almonds and have a go. Lidl usually have ground almonds at a good price.
Enjoy your new LowCarb way of life.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Jillycoops5 said:
Hi,
I have a question I have seen that alot of people on here when baking cakes etc. use almond flour, coconut flour etc. does the almond flour taste of almonds? May sound like a stupid question but i like almonds to eat as nuts but can't abide the taste of things like marzipan or bake well tarts etc. because of the almond taste. I have recently got my self a BG monitor and by the readings it's looking like a very low carb diet is going to be the one to follow, seems my body doesn't like bread even the whole meal variety or bran type cereals sends my BG right up even when I have taken my metformin.

Thanks,

Jill
Try it & see - I do not consider it obtrusive, & certainly nothing like marzipan. My latest cake tastes of banana - cos I sliced a ripe B & mixed it in. Sometimes it tastes of chocolate, or cinnamon.

If you don't like it - & it's very mild, try soya or coconut flour.

Jillycoops5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thank you guys! I am looking forward to trying out some cakie recipes and will certainly give the almond flur and the coconut one ago. :D

Defren

Hi Jill, a little tip. If you don't like the taste of almonds, you can mask it. Make chocolate, cinnamon, banana etc. I use Green and Black cocoa, banana essence, coconut is another, the list goes on and on. I bake a lot and use almond flour (ground almonds) coconut flour and rarely peanut flour. They are all low carb and with a bit of guar or Xanthan gum (if needed and not all recipe's need it) there is very little alternatives you can't make yourself, much lower carb.

Happy baking.

hallii

Aldi's almonds are slighly cheaper, but they are ground not flour, I think flour is more finely ground?

H

Defren

hallii said:
Aldi's almonds are slighly cheaper, but they are ground not flour, I think flour is more finely ground?

H

No, almond flour is just ground almonds, you can make it yourself by grinding almonds, but beware, grind too much and you get almond butter. Aldi's are 99p for 200g Sainsbury's are £1.99 for 200g.

maddiemo

Hi. I have thrown another lot of almond flour cookies away. They was so dence and dry, this is the third lot I have put in the bin. I used 8oz of almond flour, the recipe said 1cup US it seemed a lot of flour. It said one egg butter fruit, put it all in the food food mixer and it was just like a lot of dried up crumbs, added another egg and more butter. They came out horrible, what am I doing wrong?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
maddiemo said:
Hi. I have thrown another lot of almond flour cookies away. They was so dence and dry, this is the third lot I have put in the bin. I used 8oz of almond flour, the recipe said 1cup US it seemed a lot of flour. It said one egg butter fruit, put it all in the food food mixer and it was just like a lot of dried up crumbs, added another egg and more butter. They came out horrible, what am I doing wrong?

Try these http://www.food.com/recipeprint.do?rid=147237 they are yummy. Do make sure you mix the splenda very well or you well end up with very bitter cookies.

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I have tried both. The almond flour (ground almonds) is dense heavy and pretty tasteless so needs flavouring with something. Coconut flour is lighter and when baked acts and looks more like normal flour, it tastes of very little so again you can flavour it with chocolate etc. If you make a cake with almond flour it turns out quite bland and heavy like batter. If you make a cake with coconut flour it is pretty much just like a cake texture not heavy but slighlty heavier than a normal sponge. Only thing is as far as I can make out the coconut flour has more carbs than the almond flour. Recipes are in recipe section here and there are some good ones. Neither effect my BS much :D

Defren

maddiemo said:

Use recipe's from the forum, they are almost all tried and tested. Conversions are not always as accurate as they could be, and keep throwing stuff away is no good.

Reactions: Freema

maddiemo

OMG that is a big mistake far to much flour know wonder they tasted so horrible, and that flour is so expensive.

Your right, almond flour is tasteless. Today I made apple crumble with the same recipe for plain flour and not bad at all. The only thing with making say a cake with coconut flour is you have to use so many eggs and if it doesn't come out right it's such a waste. Any ideas on what you can use in place of some of the eggs?

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well tonight I am going to attempt Japanese Okonomiyaki pancakes with almond flour instead of plain flour... so I will let you know how they turn out

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is often almond flavouring which is so nasty, the true taste of almonds is quite delicate.
A lot of recipes don't work without getting the method right - simply mixing all the ingredients together is not always going to work.
Look at how to make croissants - layers of bread dough separated by fat - I showed the technicians at Lyons how to make them when they had an outstanding failure with a croissant mix - they were like bricks.
Before baking powder cakes were raised using beaten eggs or yeast. Both eggs and yeast had to be prepared beforehand and then the other ingredients added in a careful sequence requiring skilful handling and the correct techniques

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Equivalents
1/3 cup ground almonds = 2 oz / 50 g ground almonds
1 cup ground almonds = 4 oz = 125 g ground almonds
30 g ground almonds = 1 oz = 1/4 cup ground almonds

2 2/3 cups whole, shelled almonds = 1 pound ground Almonds
125 g whole, shelled almonds (7/8 cup / 4 oz) = 1 cup ground Almonds (125 g / 4 oz)

I've just realised that you know already that you used double the quantity of ground almonds.

I hope your later baking was successful.

Reactions: meandmaboy

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ground almonds as a substitute for breadcrumbs for frying fish (haddock), doing a chicken Kiev type thing and as a stuffing... seems to work okay and Mrs Hj now prefers it..... :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use ground almonds as a substitute for breadcrumbs for frying fish (haddock), doing a chicken Kiev type thing and as a stuffing... seems to work okay and Mrs Hj now prefers it..... :)

Hankjam - For Kieve styleeee things, we tend to use wither fine desiccated coconut, or a mixture of dedicated dodnut and almond flour.

How did your pancakes go @RFSMarch ?

B

badcat

OMG that is a big mistake far to much flour know wonder they tasted so horrible, and that flour is so expensive.

Your right, almond flour is tasteless. Today I made apple crumble with the same recipe for plain flour and not bad at all. The only thing with making say a cake with coconut flour is you have to use so many eggs and if it doesn't come out right it's such a waste. Any ideas on what you can use in place of some of the eggs?
Cream or natural yogurt

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Thanks,

Jill
I hate marzipan but like my home made cake with almond flour.