A few asking for low carb food lists....

Seeta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much for this massive list of low carb food . Very helpful information much appreciated cuz I didn't had inforformation about the food . Thanks again

Reactions: 2 people

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great list and I'm sure it'll come in very handy for when I go food shopping, I just have one question, on the list of meats I don't see any lamb/mutton/goat there, is that just a preference or should those be avoided?

I can't see why!

NikiMilligan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're interested in the carb values of different foods, Google cofids. This is he official uk government database of foods. I know why they call it a database, it's a spreadsheet, so you'll need software that's capable of dealing with spreadsheets (excel, OpenOffice etc.).

There is a LOAD of info in it as its intended for food scientists but the first sheet gives the carbs and also total sugars if you're figuring out the GI. The second sheet has minerals, as I know that I'm now becoming deficient due to lack of fruit and veg - no 5 portions a day for me any more :( I need to find a really good quality vitamin pill - I'll have to hunt in here for a thread!

I've been wondering what I can actually now eat in the vegetable line (we always grow potatoes, peas and broad beans in the garden - Lord it's depressing not being able to eat them any more, I just feed em to hubby and end up ravenous cause I've had virtually nothing to eat!

So I'm going to be using this myself over the next few weeks to try to find some veg that I CAN eat!

Reactions: miahara

kiwifrank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, Arrogance and warm beer
I have seen a few members asking for low carb food lists for shopping etc. I was sent this list when I first came to this forum by a very helpful member and it was a god send to me amidst all the confusion. I just thought maybe others might find it useful/helpful in some way. I should have thought to share it before now but hope it proves useful to anyone needing a bit of guidance

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Chicken pieces, thighs, legs, wing, breast
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Turkey: whole, breast, leg portions, or ground
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Bratwurst sausages (lidl) great taste & normal sausage substitute.
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Sausages look for high meat content
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder Garlic Salt
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard
Low Carb Syrups and Sweetener

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Alfalfa sprouts (great on salads)
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Cauliflower (Great as rice or mashed potato substitute.)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flax seed (add to salads & things)
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Tomatoes/paste & Sun dried
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.
Fruit (most is ok, but best in small portions.)
with root veg those with an orange tinge to them eg carrots, sweet potato, swede are better that the white veg, but still have to watch portion size.

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt
Greek yogurt, plain, full fat.

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings
Dark Chocolate 70% or more Cocoa (Good when cooking)

Ryvita. (A good replacement for bread.)
lidl's Rivercote sesame crispbreads, ( lower carbs than Ryvita)
Tuc crackers
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds
Chia seed (This thread shows the benefits of this magick like seed. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/72819/
These little beauties can be added to almost anything, they can even be used as an egg substitute & thickening soups, sauces stews etc.)

Flax seed - similar to chia.
Cornflour (great for thickening & making yorkkie puds etc)
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya - shop around prices vary from like £1.59 coop to £1 asda. And of course LIDL HIGTH PROTEIN ROLLS
Low Carb Tortillas,
The higher the fiber & lower the carbs the better.
Try to avoid wheat based products as much as possible, including cereals

Drinks
Bottled Water (Drink 2-3 ltrs/day
Coffee (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Tea (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Very helpful indeed, thank you

Reactions: 2 people

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
If you're interested in the carb values of different foods, Google cofids. This is he official uk government database of foods. I know why they call it a database, it's a spreadsheet, so you'll need software that's capable of dealing with spreadsheets (excel, OpenOffice etc.).

There is a LOAD of info in it as its intended for food scientists but the first sheet gives the carbs and also total sugars if you're figuring out the GI. The second sheet has minerals, as I know that I'm now becoming deficient due to lack of fruit and veg - no 5 portions a day for me any more :( I need to find a really good quality vitamin pill - I'll have to hunt in here for a thread!

I've been wondering what I can actually now eat in the vegetable line (we always grow potatoes, peas and broad beans in the garden - Lord it's depressing not being able to eat them any more, I just feed em to hubby and end up ravenous cause I've had virtually nothing to eat!

So I'm going to be using this myself over the next few weeks to try to find some veg that I CAN eat!

Thanks for the cofids info Niki - I've just downloaded it and it's the most comprehensive list I've seen. I'm now in the process of editing out the info I don't need before I print off a copy. The beauty of it is that I can sort the list either alphabetically by foods and/or by carb (or whatever else). Thanks again - it's brilliant!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I am newly diagnosed with diabetes I am a long time low carber, and suspect that going off low carb to lower cholesterol by diet then putting on weight hand over fist is why I am where I am now.
When I was settled on low carb I had two shopping lists. both would last us for the week, but one had mushrooms and the other tomatoes, for instance - one had fish and the other didn't, and it made a big difference to the feeling of sameness which started to creep in after the first few weeks.

tammypettifer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think I like almost everything and can't think of anything I dislike at the moment!
I have seen a few members asking for low carb food lists for shopping etc. I was sent this list when I first came to this forum by a very helpful member and it was a god send to me amidst all the confusion. I just thought maybe others might find it useful/helpful in some way. I should have thought to share it before now but hope it proves useful to anyone needing a bit of guidance

Beef Roast
Beef Steaks
Corned Beef
Ground Beef
Poultry
Chicken pieces, thighs, legs, wing, breast
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Turkey: whole, breast, leg portions, or ground
Pork
Bacon
Ground Pork
Ham
Italian Sausage
Bratwurst sausages (lidl) great taste & normal sausage substitute.
Pork Chops
Pork Roasts
Pork Steaks
Pork Tenderloin
Sausages look for high meat content
Tinned Pork & Ham
Fish
Canned Salmon
Crab
Flounder
Herring
Salmon
Sardines
Scallops
Shellfish
Shrimp
Sole
Trout
Tuna Fish
Spices And Condiments
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder Garlic Salt
Horseradish
Onion Powder
Paprika
Parmesan Cheese
Salt & Pepper
Salad Dressings
Salsa
Soy Sauce
Vinegar
Worcestershire Sauce
Yellow and Brown Mustard
Low Carb Syrups and Sweetener

Non-Starchy Vegetables
Alfalfa sprouts (great on salads)
Artichoke
Asparagus
Avocado
Bean Sprouts
Bell Peppers (green, red, yellow, orange)
Bok Choy
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage (Any)
Cauliflower (Great as rice or mashed potato substitute.)
Celery
Celeriac
Chickpeas
Cucumbers
Fresh Spinach
Flax seed (add to salads & things)
Flower sprouts
Garlic
Green Onions
Hot Peppers
Leeks
Lentils
Lettuce
Mushrooms
Okra
Mushrooms
Radish
Peas
Yellow Onions
Red Onions
Squash
Tomatoes/paste & Sun dried
Zucchini
Note; frozen is most the time better than fresh.
Fruit (most is ok, but best in small portions.)
with root veg those with an orange tinge to them eg carrots, sweet potato, swede are better that the white veg, but still have to watch portion size.

Fats / Oils
Bernaise Sauce
Hollandaise Sauce
Mayonnaise
Olive Oil
Peanut Oil
Sesame Oil
cooking spray
Coconut oil

Dairy and Non Dairy
Milk full fat.
Coconut milk
Cheeses (hard)
Butter/Ghee
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavy Cream
Sour Cream
Yogurt
Greek yogurt, plain, full fat.

Snacks and Other Goodies
Olives (black)
Peanut butter
Pork Scratchings
Dark Chocolate 70% or more Cocoa (Good when cooking)

Ryvita. (A good replacement for bread.)
lidl's Rivercote sesame crispbreads, ( lower carbs than Ryvita)
Tuc crackers
Nuts (that you like.)
Seeds
Chia seed (This thread shows the benefits of this magick like seed. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/72819/
These little beauties can be added to almost anything, they can even be used as an egg substitute & thickening soups, sauces stews etc.)

Flax seed - similar to chia.
Cornflour (great for thickening & making yorkkie puds etc)
Almond flour
Coconut flour
Cinnamon
Oatmeal
Soya flour
Breads
livlife
Burgen linseed & soya - shop around prices vary from like £1.59 coop to £1 asda. And of course LIDL HIGTH PROTEIN ROLLS
Low Carb Tortillas,
The higher the fiber & lower the carbs the better.
Try to avoid wheat based products as much as possible, including cereals

Drinks
Bottled Water (Drink 2-3 ltrs/day
Coffee (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal
Tea (decaf) unless you can tolerate normal

This is a really good list. Thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Geri0463

NikiMilligan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this list it is a great help. Unfortunately I don't eat poultry of any kind nor fish (fish fingers!). I am not overly keen on vegetables about a couple of tablespoons at a time. I have under active thyroid and on meds for that, I am limited in my exercise due to an ankle injury. I have been trying to lose weight but nothing is happening. My diet is porridge with flax seed and blueberries with a cup of tea. Snack mid morning apple, tea, and maybe a couple of crackers with butter. Lunch soup and 2 slices of Lidl Low GI seeded bread, sometimes with a couple of slices of hard cheese followed with a yogurt lowest sugar I can find. Afternoon is tea, banana not too ripe and if very hungry rich tea x2. Dinner could be steak sausages with baked beans and a couple of potatoes boiled in their jackets followed by tea and a small slice of cake I find this is the hardest part of the day. Then I stay out of kitchen rest of evening after clearing dishes etc. My other half makes a cup of tea and it's either rich tea x 2 or a slice of Brennan's brown bread which is 60 Cal's and low carb spread with peanut butter thinly. Any advice advice on what to change would be great.
I'm not a hard-line low carber but between all of the fruit and flour-based products in your diet you are pretty high carb by even my standards!
I'm also under active thyroid and have battled with my weight since diagnosis, but finally lost 3.5 stones this year using myfitnesspal and scales.
As an aside, there is growing documentation that if you have under active thyroid and tsh is maintained at the high end of normal that you are a lot more likely to develop T2D, so I presume it will also cause BS control once T2D has happened. This is a conversation I've still to have with my GP!
Also, get someone to get you a Libre for Christmas to complete your food education :)
Good luck :)

tammypettifer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think I like almost everything and can't think of anything I dislike at the moment!
Very helpful indeed, thank you
Where can I find this list to actually print out, I tried printing it but ended up with the whole blog!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Napolina tomato purée 142g tube has 15.6g of carbs, a much better thickening agent than cornflour.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Napolina tomato purée 142g tube has 15.6g of carbs, a much better thickening agent than cornflour.

I usually use double cream as a thickener for stews, casseroles or sauces.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I usually use double cream as a thickener for stews, casseroles or sauces.
@Chook
I use cream sometimes, it depends on whether I plan to freeze food. I was pointing out that purée is a better choice than cornflour as a thickening agent. I sometimes use grated carrot or courgette as a thickener it just depends on the other ingredients.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Bamix amongst my other kitchen toys - blending a half cup of acceptable vegetables is usually enough to thicken up a casserole, and it is great for making a smooth soup from leftovers found in the fridge.

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very helpful list indeed. Went into lidl and got a protein roll, but didn't really like them.
I got a low gi roll to try too. Anyone know if they're any good?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Very helpful list indeed. Went into lidl and got a protein roll, but didn't really like them.
I got a low gi roll to try too. Anyone know if they're any good?

The low GI rolls from Lidl spiked my BG. The protein rolls are the only bread I can tolerate and, yes, they take a bit of getting used to but it doesn't take long before you learn to appreciate them. :)

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Since being diagnosed with T2D my simple rule is; if it wasn't available to our ancestors (Pre-agricultural age) then I try to avoid it. I live quite well on any edible form of meat, fish, sea food. (Fancy being able to eat lobster and crab, when 'on a diet'! ) I eat lots of poultry; especialy chicken thighs, and eggs; coddled. For my veg any form of edible leafy veggies, (Go easy on legumes)
The only processed foods I eat are bacon, cheese, cream and occasionally milk. (I know milk isn't processed, as such but we are the only species that seeks to drink milk after weaning, and at that, the milk of another species!)

I go easy on the fruit, and mostly I go for berries. I like them with custard of course, but as that is another grain based product, I forgo it too! I don't eat potatoes, and little other root crops, and I avoid all grain products, especially wheat. I am losing weight steadily, and I feel all the better for it.

I am due another routine check at the Doc's, so we shall see what we shall see! Wonder if I will get off metformin? I suspect it's that which has upset my rhythmic bodily cycle. (You get my drift I hope!)

So, if you can't find a varied, healthy diet from all the foods I mention; then you might need to experiment with them a little.

Reactions: michmich

Hampshire_Lad

I am following the 10 week low carb Programme and while it is excellent, I found the food database too American and so hard to relate to UK food, I purchased the Carbs and Cals book. problem solved all info in UK English and now I complete the food diary manually. recommend people buy if they want to keep track and have an accurate record of Carbs

I have just looked at this book on Amazon and looked at a few pages
Some advice reads "Wholegrain carbohydrates provide energy and a good source of vitamins and fibre. These include porridge, whole wheat pasta, wholegrain bread and brown rice"

I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and am a tad confused because the advice I've read so far on this website is to try to cut out all forms of pasta, rice and porridge?

Reactions: michmich