1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

A few asking for low carb food lists....

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Gezzabelle, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Seeta

Seeta Type 2 · Newbie

Thank you very much for this massive list of low carb food . Very helpful information much appreciated cuz I didn't had inforformation about the food . Thanks again

• Like Like x 2
  2. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

3. TJR56

TJR56 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can't see why!

4. NikiMilligan

NikiMilligan Type 2 · Active Member

If you're interested in the carb values of different foods, Google cofids. This is he official uk government database of foods. I know why they call it a database, it's a spreadsheet, so you'll need software that's capable of dealing with spreadsheets (excel, OpenOffice etc.).

There is a LOAD of info in it as its intended for food scientists but the first sheet gives the carbs and also total sugars if you're figuring out the GI. The second sheet has minerals, as I know that I'm now becoming deficient due to lack of fruit and veg - no 5 portions a day for me any more :( I need to find a really good quality vitamin pill - I'll have to hunt in here for a thread!

I've been wondering what I can actually now eat in the vegetable line (we always grow potatoes, peas and broad beans in the garden - Lord it's depressing not being able to eat them any more, I just feed em to hubby and end up ravenous cause I've had virtually nothing to eat!

So I'm going to be using this myself over the next few weeks to try to find some veg that I CAN eat!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. rich w

rich w Type 2 · Newbie

Thanks big help.

• Like Like x 2
  6. kiwifrank

kiwifrank Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Very helpful indeed, thank you

• Like Like x 2
  7. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the cofids info Niki - I've just downloaded it and it's the most comprehensive list I've seen. I'm now in the process of editing out the info I don't need before I print off a copy. The beauty of it is that I can sort the list either alphabetically by foods and/or by carb (or whatever else). Thanks again - it's brilliant!!

8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Although I am newly diagnosed with diabetes I am a long time low carber, and suspect that going off low carb to lower cholesterol by diet then putting on weight hand over fist is why I am where I am now.
    When I was settled on low carb I had two shopping lists. both would last us for the week, but one had mushrooms and the other tomatoes, for instance - one had fish and the other didn't, and it made a big difference to the feeling of sameness which started to creep in after the first few weeks.

9. tammypettifer

tammypettifer Type 2 · Member

This is a really good list. Thank you very much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #69 tammypettifer, Nov 30, 2016 at 1:50 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2016
  10. NikiMilligan

NikiMilligan Type 2 · Active Member

I'm not a hard-line low carber but between all of the fruit and flour-based products in your diet you are pretty high carb by even my standards!
    I'm also under active thyroid and have battled with my weight since diagnosis, but finally lost 3.5 stones this year using myfitnesspal and scales.
    As an aside, there is growing documentation that if you have under active thyroid and tsh is maintained at the high end of normal that you are a lot more likely to develop T2D, so I presume it will also cause BS control once T2D has happened. This is a conversation I've still to have with my GP!
    Also, get someone to get you a Libre for Christmas to complete your food education :)
    Good luck :)

11. tammypettifer

tammypettifer Type 2 · Member

Where can I find this list to actually print out, I tried printing it but ended up with the whole blog!

12. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Napolina tomato purée 142g tube has 15.6g of carbs, a much better thickening agent than cornflour.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Gezzabelle

Gezzabelle Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have inboxed it to you in private message

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

I usually use double cream as a thickener for stews, casseroles or sauces.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

@Chook
    I use cream sometimes, it depends on whether I plan to freeze food. I was pointing out that purée is a better choice than cornflour as a thickening agent. I sometimes use grated carrot or courgette as a thickener it just depends on the other ingredients.

16. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I have a Bamix amongst my other kitchen toys - blending a half cup of acceptable vegetables is usually enough to thicken up a casserole, and it is great for making a smooth soup from leftovers found in the fridge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. B17_Fan

B17_Fan Reactive hypoglycemia · Active Member

Very helpful list indeed. Went into lidl and got a protein roll, but didn't really like them.
    I got a low gi roll to try too. Anyone know if they're any good?

18. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

The low GI rolls from Lidl spiked my BG. The protein rolls are the only bread I can tolerate and, yes, they take a bit of getting used to but it doesn't take long before you learn to appreciate them. :)

19. Phub

Phub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Since being diagnosed with T2D my simple rule is; if it wasn't available to our ancestors (Pre-agricultural age) then I try to avoid it. I live quite well on any edible form of meat, fish, sea food. (Fancy being able to eat lobster and crab, when 'on a diet'! ) I eat lots of poultry; especialy chicken thighs, and eggs; coddled. For my veg any form of edible leafy veggies, (Go easy on legumes)
    The only processed foods I eat are bacon, cheese, cream and occasionally milk. (I know milk isn't processed, as such but we are the only species that seeks to drink milk after weaning, and at that, the milk of another species!)

I go easy on the fruit, and mostly I go for berries. I like them with custard of course, but as that is another grain based product, I forgo it too! I don't eat potatoes, and little other root crops, and I avoid all grain products, especially wheat. I am losing weight steadily, and I feel all the better for it.

I am due another routine check at the Doc's, so we shall see what we shall see! Wonder if I will get off metformin? I suspect it's that which has upset my rhythmic bodily cycle. (You get my drift I hope!)

So, if you can't find a varied, healthy diet from all the foods I mention; then you might need to experiment with them a little.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hampshire_Lad

Hampshire_Lad · Well-Known Member

I have just looked at this book on Amazon and looked at a few pages
    Some advice reads "Wholegrain carbohydrates provide energy and a good source of vitamins and fibre. These include porridge, whole wheat pasta, wholegrain bread and brown rice"

I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and am a tad confused because the advice I've read so far on this website is to try to cut out all forms of pasta, rice and porridge?

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook