Has anyone tried this breakfast?

GerryDavies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Good Lord - if you take this stuff, you might be able to reduce your LDL cholesterol by a between 3 and 5% !!!!!
I am surprised we are not all running to the shops to buy some.
Betavivo is one of the financial sponsors of diabetes.org. ( edited from co.uk - which of course would not do this - oops my fingers type too fast not connected to brains sometimes )

the research
"Overall, the data suggest that 3g/day of beta-glucan as part of a healthful diet can lower LDL cholesterol by 3-5%."

"Eating one daily serving of Betavivo provides the required 3g of beta-glucan from oats needed to reduce your blood cholesterol. If eaten daily, you will normally see a reduction in your cholesterol levels in about 2-3 months. Eating these as part of your meal helps to reduce the amount of blood glucose your body produces by slowing down the absorption of carbohydrates."

So basically if you spend lots of money for three whole months its possible that you might manage to reduce the one type of cholesterol that doesn't seem to matter much, by an insignificant amount and at the same time, your glucose spike might not be quite so high,just last longer as well. Then you can move onto more of the drugs provided by other sponsors of diabetes.co.uk. There are laws against bribery and corruption in other fields. not so health it seems.

The prime claim of the product is that it has insoluble fibre. That is the lattice work that forms a barrier to which insoluble fibre sticks, which means that IF your diet has a lot of fibre in it THEN that will slow down the digestion of other carbohydrates. Thus eating fibre is effectively an " antidote" to eating carbs. Of course its also follows that if you don't eat carbs, then you don't need the lattice to slow it down. hence the need for a lot of fibre is effectively accompanied by the ingestion of a lot of carbs. Betavivo very helpfully supplies all those carbs requiring the antidote.

Alternatively of course you could focus on the antidote itself (the non solulable fibre) and use that to slow down absorption of the few carbs you allow into your diet.

If you are wanting more fibre in your diet and feel the need to take a supplement ( effectively what is provided) try fybogel £5.99 for 30 days, sugar and gluten free. (compared to £32 for the Betavivo with a handy 50p going to diabetes.co.uk.)
Alternatively buy 500g of psyllium husk ( the active ingredient of fibrogel ) for £8.49 and have that last 166 days.

Maybe there is a magic ingredient :) I will be very interested to see if it does work and if it does, if it works any differently from the cheaper options outlined above combined with real foods .

Check out this product for value for money
FIBERFLOUR NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER 100G

Energy 333 Kcal /1337 KJ

Fat 9.3g: of which Omega3 alpha-linolenic acid 4g

Carbohydrates 15.9g of which: starch (from oat bran) 14.9g

Fibre 41.3g Protein 24.5g

INGREDIENTS

Oat bran, golden linseed meal, wheat gluten, resistant wheat starch, oat fibre, wheat fibre, inulin (soluble fibre), resistant polydextrin (soluble fibre), guar gum (soluble fibre), HPMC (soluble fibre), vitamin C (E300 antioxidant).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check out this product for value for money
FIBERFLOUR NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER 100G

Energy 333 Kcal /1337 KJ

Fat 9.3g: of which Omega3 alpha-linolenic acid 4g

Carbohydrates 15.9g of which: starch (from oat bran) 14.9g

Fibre 41.3g Protein 24.5g

INGREDIENTS

Oat bran, golden linseed meal, wheat gluten, resistant wheat starch, oat fibre, wheat fibre, inulin (soluble fibre), resistant polydextrin (soluble fibre), guar gum (soluble fibre), HPMC (soluble fibre), vitamin C (E300 antioxidant).

Just for full disclosure (which I notice Gerry hasn't included) is that he is the guy that invented and sells this product that he is advocating..

M

Member34835

As a general rule any mthing in a packet that feels the need to make claims of peomoting health generally isn't..Oats are geeat btw but who knows what they have used to stick it all together. At 10g cho per serving and not much sugar its not bad but that sounds insubstantial?

Reactions: Freema

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just for full disclosure (which I notice Gerry hasn't included) is that he is the guy that invented and sells this product that he is advocating..
He has on another 2 threads concerning fiberflour started by DUK members, although I agree it would probably have been helpful to make that explicit in this post in case people hadnt read those, which is why I am now ( I have no connection to the issue except I have used fibre flour)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I thought of sharing something with you all. I found a breakfast cereal which claims to reduce the Blood cholesterol and sugar. But it has 46.8 carbs in 100g.

This is available in Hollands & Barrat . I bought them and eating for past two days.

Here is the link:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/betavivo-crispy-oat-hearts-60021226

Please let me know if anyone has tried and found good.

Regards
Looks like its 25.1g fibre which will impact on the carb response. Also, asthey are not a UK product and nutritional info laelling varies, the 46g overall carb figure could be net or before deduction of fibre

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Is he the guy that was at the last PHC conference?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A normal portion would only be about 35 grams so carbs per portion roughly 15gm - also need to consider amount of fibre and GI rating .....
Still way more than my low carb ‘pcoconut ‘porridge’ (not real porridge, not a grain in sight!) with strawberries and cream, totalling about 8g carb! Sorry!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went for a rummage looking for nutritional content and so on. eventually found the information on Amazon, rather than the Betavivo's own website, which I found astonishing. I mean, why create and market a product you claim to have amazing properties and health benefits, and then not actually say what the customer is eating...?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Betavivo-Crispy-Hearts-345g-package/dp/B00O8UF4UY
Anyway, it turns out that this Betavivo oat heart stuff is supposed to be eaten in portions weighing only 23g.
Yes, that is less than one ounce.
And that if eaten in that size a portion you will get a whopping 9.5 g of carbs, of which 1.1g is sugars.

So... um... I don't call 23g of anything breakfast. Do you? More like a crunchy garnish on top of breakfast.
It would certainly need quite a lot of other stuff added to earn the title of meal... and whatever that other stuff was, is going to affect the blood glucose result (and the cholesterol).

Not something I see myself eating.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE And that if eaten in that size a portion you will get a whopping 9.5 g of carbs, of which 1.1g is sugars..[/QUOTE]

And 5.8g fibre

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So, the truth is out. As I said earlier, manufactureres have latched onto the low carb labelling. I didn't trust them before and it seems that I still can't trust them. We shouldn't have to be Sherlocking our way through the supermarket.