Is there more risk from flu with diabetes?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetics are not only entitled to anti-'Flu jabs, but anti-Pneumonia jabs too.
I'm still waiting for mine - apparently there is a shortage of the vaccine.
If you are lucky enough to be 70 or 78 (it's complicated) you can have free shingles jab as well for a full set!

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
hmm. Been type 2 for about 9 or 10 years now and never had a flu jab. Ill take my chances as I have not had flu for about 30 years or more. Just seems like another big pharma seeing diabetics as a cash cow.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have declined the flu jab for the last 3 years; get offered it every year and the docs have been persistent with the letters this year. Docs can't seem to understand why I don't want to fill my body with who knows what. Haven't even had sniffles in that time whilst all around me people have been dropping like flies with stomach bugs, 2 cases of pneumonia, colds, man-flu and possibly real flu

Unfortunately have had to give up my Vit D this year (immune system is overactive and vit D is increasing its potency and it is currently attacking my lungs) which I think was keeping me safe from it all.

I am really surprised about the lack of knowledge about the role of vit-D by the medical profession. If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say it is because there is no money in it for the pharmaceutical companies

So do you want the flu jab. It must be your personal risk assessment. Is the likelihood of you getting Flu and the consequences of having it (which I think are pretty bad for a T1) worth the effort and risk in getting the jab. Personally if I was T1 or a suffering T2 and not an in-remission T2 then I would be having it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding the comments on sleep apnea higher up the thread ^^^

There are very clearly established links between sleep apnea and type 2, going both ways - where ppl with sleep apnea are at much higher risk of type 2, but also where people with type 2 have hugely more risk of having sleep apnea.

The number of type 2 diabetics with undiagnosed sleep apnea is significant - with implications on blood oxygenation, compromised immune systems, heart health and longevity.

Don't take my word for it. Google sleep apnea and diabetes. You will be swamped with studies on the subject.

Sleep apnea is very treatable. So i would encourage anyone who experiences daytime drowsiness, snoring, broken sleep or waking feeling unrefreshed, should make a doc appt to be checked out.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
That's really interesting. My husband suffers from very mild sleep apnea and had just been issued with a breathing mask (not sure what the name is) when we moved to New Zealand in May. Since then he's almost completely stopped snoring and we've assumed the sleep apnea is in remission (he hasn't been wearing the mask!). I was wondering if the cleaner air in NZ was the reason but now I'm wondering if it's the fact that he has reduced his T2 risk (both his parents have/had T2). . We eat a low gi no added sugar diet anyway, but he used to be prone to occasional binging on bad stuff (sweets!), and has cut that out. He's lost a couple of kilos and inches from his waist line too. (Not that he was overweight: he's 174cm and was 66kg, now is 64kg.)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
My old mum (91)has the flu jab each year. Each year she comes down with a cold and throat that lasts most of the winter. Each year we say don't have the jab... each year she has it!
I politely declined it and instead just avoid as many people as I can. Seems to work for me... never had flu.
I do not get that because the flu jab does not contain a virus.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
hmm. Been type 2 for about 9 or 10 years now and never had a flu jab. Ill take my chances as I have not had flu for about 30 years or more. Just seems like another big pharma seeing diabetics as a cash cow.
The trouble is if you do not get the flu jab you may sometime have the mother of all flu's because you have not built up any immunity. I have been having the flu jab for 14 years and never had flu. I missed it for two years and ended up with very bad flu.

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
It may seem weird but the last couple of years I've been drinking turmeric tea every morning it keeps any flu or cold at bay. It dosent taste great but hey I drink it like it's medicine. It's also given me more energy .

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hyperglycemia can cause intracellular and extracellular dehydration, electrolyte abnormalities, and depressed immunity . Furthermore, impaired lung function and pulmonary microangiopathy have been observed among diabetic patients

So yes I would say flu can be more hazardous to those with diabetes.

D

Deleted member 308541

Hyperglycemia can cause intracellular and extracellular dehydration, electrolyte abnormalities, and depressed immunity . Furthermore, impaired lung function and pulmonary microangiopathy have been observed among diabetic patients

So yes I would say flu can be more hazardous to those with diabetes.
Holy Dooley John, did you swallow a medical dictionary today? :D

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Flu is more harmful to diabetics, my figures have shot up again as I have flu.
The flu vaccine doesn't cover every strain of the virus.

Reactions: JohnEGreen
D

Deleted member 308541

The flu vaccine doesn't cover every strain of the virus.
The Australian 2017 quadrivalent fluvax covers the main strains of flu as in the quoted text below

The influenza virus strains included in the 2017 seasonal influenza vaccines are:

A (H1N1): an A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09* like virus
A (H3N2): an A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2) like virus
B: a B/Brisbane/60/2008 like virus
B: a B/Phuket/3073/2013 like virus

* New strain (differs from strain in 2016 vaccine)

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/i...ent/ATAGI-advice-influenza-vaccines-providers

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only had the flu twice in my life, once as a child, once about six years ago. Both times before developing diabetes. I did experience wat a common cold with a slight fever did to my sugars though, and I very much hope not to have to try to manage my diabetes with the flu. Flu-shot for me!

Reactions: Garway

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well today I’m happy to report my numbers are much nearer normal, temperature has stayed down a lot of today too :happy:
5440D0E3-49D3-46E1-A059-497BC2D5DC03.jpeg

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally I'm very inclined to try to do everything the natural way, for example it was important for me psychologically to get off Metformin because I just instinctively think that you shouldn't tamper with complicated things like the human body, it kind of knows more than we do because the blueprint has been around a lot longer that we have and has undergone many revisions to find a way of getting us to where we are now.

When I saw the GP recently and he said I should book a flu jab on the way out, I originally ignored him and left without booking it. Then I dithered and a few days later booked it and had it done for the first time ever.

To be honest as I'm getting older I'm starting to become more of a realist.

I needed glasses when I was quite young, so there's one very important artificial augmentation already.

And I wear shoes all the time. I don't like what would happen to my feet if I tried going on a walk in the countryside with bare feet.

And I couldn't survive a winter without clothes.

And I don't like it when I grow a big beard, because rabbits get caught in it, so I shave it off using tools that somebody else has invented and special foam which stops it hurting.

Ditto my fingernails and toenails.

I think somehow we muddle through, and the better our brains get at creating methods to help our bodies, the more our bodies can afford to be a bit rubbish. There's a whole interesting topic about evolution there I think.

So getting the flu jab may or may not be a great idea, and I'm finding it very hard to feel strongly about it either way.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well today I’m happy to report my numbers are much nearer normal, temperature has stayed down a lot of today too :happy:
View attachment 24758

Haha! I remember the three points on the previous graph at the end made it seem it was going to be a slow decline. Things are looking up. Or down, which is better!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I had to remind myself about the difference between colds and flu. The last time I was accused of having man flu (a term I hate) I actually had a burst appendix and peritonitis so I'm a firm believer that symptoms should not be ignored or made fun of. I have a flu jab every year and I realise that it will probably be a year behind the current strain affecting the population. I'm also more worried about the chemicals they put in our water supply than the dead virus I get in a flu jab and I drink at least a litre a day (plus tea and coffee, so well hydrated). I had flu once and would prefer not to have it again.

cold_or_flu_graphic.png

You may or may not be interested in the advice Mark Hyman M.D. gives to help support the immune system.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/19/wintertime-immune-support/

Toxicblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Get your flu jab asap plus pneumonia jab as well I have had the two it's only a pin prick and it will put your mind at rest

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Also the pneumonia jab is a one off it gives a life time protection so does not have to be repeated.