Ban called for chocolate price promotions in bid to curb obesity

DCUK NewsBot

Campaigners are calling for a complete price deal ban on large packs of chocolate known as sharing bags. The charity Action on Sugar, which is constantly striving to drive down obesity levels, also wants a confectionery sugar tax to be introduced. The organisation carried out a survey on a large range of sharing bags and found many of them contained nearly 30 teaspoons on sugar. Their concern is that if supermarkets are constantly introducing price promotions, buying these packs can work out cheaper than purchasing single bars. Obesity among children and adults is on the increase across the UK and significantly raises the risk of type 2 diabetes. However, it is possible to reduce obesity and prevent or control type 2 diabetes by following a healthy diet full of real, natural food and being regularly active. For more information visit our Low Carb Program. Action on Sugar is concerned that slashing the cost of these large bags of chocolate is only going to encourage people to buy more. Graham MacGregor, professor of cardiovascular medicine at Queen Mary University of London and chairman of Action on Sugar said: "It is shocking that food companies are being allowed to exploit consumers by manipulating them into purchasing larger size bags of chocolate confectionery on the cheap. "Theresa May is letting companies get away with this despite pledging to help the socially deprived when she first became the prime minister. Companies must be held accountable and reminded to reconsider their ethical and corporate responsibility." Caroline Cerny of the Obesity Health Alliance said: "There's no doubt that large portion sizes encourage people to eat more. Companies have a huge role to play in helping tackle the obesity epidemic by reducing the amount of sugar in the products."

Continue reading...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are people not capable of buying a large bag and portioning it out over several days? The nanny state has gone mad!!! They are called "sharing bags" for a reason.

Are they going to introduce alcohol rationing too?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are people not capable of buying a large bag and portioning it out over several days? The nanny state has gone mad!!! They are called "sharing bags" for a reason.

So what about banning large boxes of so called healthy cereals? Or large packets of rice or pasta, or potatoes, family bags of chips and so on.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It does make me laugh.
The chocolate manufacturers,and use the word chocolate broadly aren't interested in the world being healthy they just want your cash just like the supermarkets and the point I'm getting to is the word "sharing bag or sharing size" is a poor attempt to ease their greedy conscious and making you think they care,nuts do they.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat
D

Deleted member 308541

what about it cutting down on domestic violence in the non-aboriginal communities? are there figures for them?
Most probably are, as I have not been involved in domestic violence with my partner of 48 years, I have never bothered to look.
We have similar restrictions here in Canada in some communities in the north.
The Federal government have issued a pension / concession debit card that can only be used to buy food and clothing. No booze, ciggies etc are not available to purchase with the card, it has been tried and found to work in the Northern Territory.

This debit card will be trialled out on white bogans here in Queensland that are dole bludging.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most probably are, as I have not been involved in domestic violence with my partner of 48 years, I have never bothered to look.

My point is that the effect on the aboriginal community has been mentioned, not the community as a whole. It sort of hints at domestic violence being a problem for the aboriginal community predominantly.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Banning chocolate promotions.

To me this would be like removing a piece of straw from the hay pile and saying we are now closer to finding the needle.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
My point is that the effect on the aboriginal community has been mentioned, not the community as a whole. It sort of hints at domestic violence being a problem for the aboriginal community predominantly.

Aboriginal communities are largely isolated, spread far apart (huge country and little infrastructure in the outback where they are) and Australians don't / won't live there ... be it by design or treading on "their" land.

Alcohol abuse was huge so it was banned on all inbound flights or by road. Violence was and still is a major headache in those areas. I'll go no further other than to say $30 billion is spent annually on their welfare.

BunsenHoneydew

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Aboriginal communities are largely isolated, spread far apart (huge country and little infrastructure in the outback where they are) and Australians don't / won't live there ... be it by design or treading on "their" land.

Um. They are Australians too and yes it is THEIR land.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
They have exclusive rights to the land, hence the "their" as in protected. Take a look at a map ... and you're arguing a topic you clearly don't understand

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Please remain civil and keep to the topic otherwise comments will be moderated.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm afraid I am someone who is incapable of such things, especially with one of my weaknesses: big bags of Revels.

They can cost £3 very often in local shops, and I never bought them at that price. But they often go on offer for £1 in supermarkets, and I often bought (several of) them.

I was actually quite good at making a bag last - I could normally make a bag last for the duration of a cup of tea. Sometimes I'd be especially good, and only have half a bag with a cup of tea. I'd then immediately make another cup of tea to have the rest with.

I think we have more of a nanny state than we realise - we are blind to the things we grow up with. Motorway speed limits are there to help us all behave and not hurt each other and ourselves, but we don't often see that as an example of a nanny state.

I wish I knew what the solution to things like big bags of chocolate was. I've never spent £3 on one, but if they were never available for less, maybe I would?

I'm all for any sensible government measures that save me from my own inability to look after myself :)

Haven't had a bag for months now anyway, so hopefully that's under control for the time being.