Metformin - when to take it?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have long wished to try Metformin, and today I managed to persuade my GP to prescribe it for me. She has given me 500mg tablets to take once daily. They are not delayed release. She suggested I cut them in half, but the patient leaflet advises taking them whole. So should I go against the leaflet and try to cut the tablets in half, or should I just take them once a day? And if the latter, WHEN? I would appreciate any advice.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Take with food and follow your doctor's advice.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take with food and follow your doctor's advice.
Yes, I intend to take it with food, but my doctor gave me no advice as to which meal to take it with, or at what time of day, in the event that cutting the pills in half doesn't work.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Don't cut them. The drug distribution is different

D

Deleted member 308541

I take mine at breakfast and evening meal times.

Not sure about cutting them in half though.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree don’t cut them, even if they’re not slow release, the absorption will be affected if you cut them. I’m on 3 x Metformin per day. I started gradually by taking one a week for the first week. I took it whole with my breakfast each day.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take mine at breakfast and evening meal times.

Not sure about cutting them in half though.
Thanks, yes, that sounds like a good plan, it's a shame the manufacturers haven't made lower dose tablets available, especially given the digestive problems people have when starting to take them.

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
My diabetic nurse recommends to take at your evening meal. I was taking 1 tablet in the morning, but since taking it in the evening I have managed to bring my count down from 55 to 44.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Taking the full tablet per day surely means that you will run out of tablets before your next prescription is due? Unless the doc has put enough on the script to last you one month at one full pill per day (my prescriptions are bi monthly, yours may be different).

D

Deleted member 308541

Taking the full tablet per day surely means that you will run out of tablets before your next prescription is due? Unless the doc has put enough on the script to last you one month at one full pill per day (my prescriptions are bi monthly, yours may be different).
I take two Metformin a day, as there is sixty tablet in the box. I can get a repeat script after twenty days.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I take two Metformin a day, as there is sixty tablet in the box. I can get a repeat script after twenty days.

I can order a repeat a few days before I run out but not one/two weeks before, whether I order online or over the phone.

D

Deleted member 308541

I can order a repeat a few days before I run out but not one/two weeks before, whether I order online or over the phone.
I already have the repeats in hand, when my GP writes a script out he ticks the repeat box and enters five.

It is now a lot easier keeping track of how many scripts I have left, as I use MedAdvisor phone app where the pharmacy enters them into.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Oh I read it that she was to take one a day but the dr was suggesting half twice a day?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yes, I agree I'd best not cut them. But what do you mean by, "The drug distribution is different"?

The drug in the pill is not distributed 50 /50 after the cut Learnt that one recently :) You'd think so, but not the case

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Yes, I agree I'd best not cut them. But what do you mean by, "The drug distribution is different"?

Most pills have a coating which controls how quickly the drug is absorbed.
The slow release ones have a different coating which makes them even more slowly absorbed.
Cutting the pill in half can make it absorb more quickly because there is no coating on the cut part..
For really fast absorption you are usually given a powder.