Metformin - when to take it?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The drug in the pill is not distributed 50 /50 after the cut Learnt that one recently :) You'd think so, but not the case

Indeed when I was nursing we were told a good indicator of whether a tablet can be halved is if they are scored. My Metformin aren’t.

Reactions: MarkArt63

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The drug in the pill is not distributed 50 /50 after the cut Learnt that one recently :) You'd think so, but not the case

Interesting.
However if the dose is split over the day then I don't suppose it matters all that much.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I will be crushing mine if I cannot swallow them after op.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Slow release not to be cut but original drugs can be made into a liquid by a good chemist..

Reactions: Jb1965

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Slow release not to be cut but original drugs can be made into a liquid by a good chemist..
If you need it as a liquid you can be prescribed Metformin oral solution

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Dn told me to cut many a med in half as I couldn't tolerate them. Still didn't work and ended up on insulin.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. My GP is very aware of the problems many people have on Metformin, so her idea was to start on the lowest possible dose and work up gradually. The pills I have been given are domed and I don't fancy my chances cutting them in half, so I am starting on 500mg with food and hoping for the best. I finally decided to take the pill with lunch, partly because at breakfast I already take Flecainide x 2 plus Fuoresemide x 2 plus Dabigatran (which can also cause stomach problems).

Deepshika

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. My GP is very aware of the problems many people have on Metformin, so her idea was to start on the lowest possible dose and work up gradually. The pills I have been given are domed and I don't fancy my chances cutting them in half, so I am starting on 500mg with food and hoping for the best. I finally decided to take the pill with lunch, partly because at breakfast I already take Flecainide x 2 plus Fuoresemide x 2 plus Dabigatran (which can also cause stomach problems).

I know I'm a little too late to reply here but I'm sure there are millions battling against diabetes everyday and I hope my experience can help someone out there. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for over 5 years and was advised to take Metfornin by my Doctor. I actually kept complaining about the unending streaks of hunger with fluctuation in mood and fainting spells but he said there is no drug which is better than Metafornin. Eventually I had to search for an alternative and googled up solutions. A lot of drugs popped up but I knew that was not an answer.
Strict diet regulations and timely consumption of food and drugs can go a long way when its a battle against diabetes. There are a lot of drugs that can do a great job but with a price to pay.
I just hope all you fellow diabetic people can take care of yourselves and win the fight.
All the best everyone!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I'm a little too late to reply here but I'm sure there are millions battling against diabetes everyday and I hope my experience can help someone out there. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes for over 5 years and was advised to take Metfornin by my Doctor. I actually kept complaining about the unending streaks of hunger with fluctuation in mood and fainting spells but he said there is no drug which is better than Metafornin. Eventually I had to search for an alternative and googled up solutions. A lot of drugs popped up but I knew that was not an answer.
Strict diet regulations and timely consumption of food and drugs can go a long way when its a battle against diabetes. There are a lot of drugs that can do a great job but with a price to pay.
I just hope all you fellow diabetic people can take care of yourselves and win the fight.
All the best everyone!!

Are you sure you were diagnosed as Type 1? It is an autoimmune disease whereby antibodies kill off the beta cells in the pancreas, making natural insulin production impossible. There is no cure as of yet.

MarkArt63

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have long wished to try Metformin, and today I managed to persuade my GP to prescribe it for me. She has given me 500mg tablets to take once daily. They are not delayed release. She suggested I cut them in half, but the patient leaflet advises taking them whole. So should I go against the leaflet and try to cut the tablets in half, or should I just take them once a day? And if the latter, WHEN? I would appreciate any advice.
So far i take mine with breakfast and evening meals .....nobodys told me thats best i was just prescribed them and left to it . Honestly im clueless over the whole situation so far ...diagnosed 1 month ago.

Australiadiabetic2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My diabetic nurse recommends to take at your evening meal. I was taking 1 tablet in the morning, but since taking it in the evening I have managed to bring my count down from 55 to 44.
Interesting !!!!

I have been told to take my M of 500gms every morning !
I might try the switch to arvo’ s to see if theres any difference

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting !!!!

I might try the switch to arvo’ s to see if theres any difference
A thorough discussion of Metformin timing here:
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2010/06/timing-your-metformin-dose.html
I followed Dr Bernstein's advice to take Glucophage XR rather than the generic Metformin. I believe that nowadays there is little difference in price. At any rate my GP accepted to change my prescription. I can't say if the Glucophage works better for me as I increased my dose at the same time.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Initially I was told the same, but when my BG went up I was told to take one with my morning meal and one with my evening meal, and see if it made a difference.

pureedfruit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am T2, have to take 2 x 500mg of Metformin 2 x a day, and I have always found them less than pleasant to swallow with water, so have switched to taking them with a teaspoon of plain yogurt.
SO MUCH EASIER.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
And did it?
I wonder too, but I've stuck with it. Dividing the dosis over a 24 hour period must be better, my logic tells me, but correct me if I'm wrong. The reason I don't know is that roughly around the same time I went Low Carb, and to be honest I'm sure that's what did the trick for me.