Salted Butter

abcd99

Can a type 1 diabetic eat butter or salted butter. I heard about low carbs high fat diet. This diet will control your sugar,but what about chlorostral. I am confused. Please advice. Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @abcd99 Butter whether salted or unsalted is a fat so if you're trying to lower your cholesterol then maybe only use small amounts or try to replace with healthier fats such as vegetable based ones but on a low carb/high fat diet it's absolutely fine.

https://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet

Reactions: abcd99

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The belief now is that it is the excessive carbs turning to fat, not the actual animal fats, that cause the cholesterol. Do lots of reading and make your own mind up.
To function with low carb you must eat the fats to satiate your hunger. Lots of people eating this way have reduced their cholesterol and been able to ditch the statins.

Reactions: RAPS_od and abcd99

abcd99

Hi @abcd99 Butter whether salted or unsalted is a fat so if you're trying to lower your cholesterol then maybe only use small amounts or try to replace with healthier fats such as vegetable based ones but on a low carb/high fat diet it's absolutely fine.

Thank you so much for your reply. I will go through the link that you have sent. Want to know what is vegetable based fats. Have a nice day.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You might not have the same results, of course, but on a LCHF diet with real fats and no worrying, my triglycerides were 2 after 3 months and 1.5 after 6 - so with a test group of one person I found that the fats increase bad cholesterol advice to be wrong - all my ratios were normal good or idea..
It is what happens when someone gets an idea into their heads and goes all out to prove themselves right, with no regard of the data, and it seems so plausible after all.
All I wanted to do was reduce my blood glucose, and that worked wonderfully too.

abcd99

The belief now is that it is the excessive carbs turning to fat, not the actual animal fats, that cause the cholesterol. Do lots of reading and make your own mind up.
To function with low carb you must eat the fats to satiate your hunger. Lots of people eating this way have reduced their cholesterol and been able to ditch the statins.
Oh!! that is very useful information that you gave me. Day by day I am learning how harmful too much carbs can be.....so I think a small quantity of butter is not harmful.......Thanks a lot for your reply. Have a nice day.

abcd99

You might not have the same results, of course, but on a LCHF diet with real fats and no worrying, my triglycerides were 2 after 3 months and 1.5 after 6 - so with a test group of one person I found that the fats increase bad cholesterol advice to be wrong - all my ratios were normal good or idea..
It is what happens when someone gets an idea into their heads and goes all out to prove themselves right, with no regard of the data, and it seems so plausible after all.
All I wanted to do was reduce my blood glucose, and that worked wonderfully too.
I am so happy for you. Did you include also butter in your high fat diet......if yes, how much. What do you exactly mean by real fats....Thanks for your reply.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Don’t under any circumstance eat seed or vegetable oils, nasty stuff on any diet.

Reactions: abcd99

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply. Can you name some vegetable based fats for me........what do you eat mostly. Is butter ok then.......thanks again.
I would have butter over processed veg oils any day. The whole manufacturing process of veg oils/margarines and their levels of omega 6 are, in my opinion, not healthy.
Olive oil and avocado oil (fruits not seeds or veg) are fine although I prefer butter or animal fats over these too. That is of course just my opinion.

Reactions: Dodo and abcd99

abcd99

Don’t under any circumstance eat seed or vegetable oils, nasty stuff on any diet.
Hi wiflib..how are you today. Now what exactly you mean by seed or vegetable oils...can you explain in bit details......thanks a lot.

abcd99

I would have butter over processed veg oils any day. The whole manufacturing process of veg oils/margarines and their levels of omega 6 are, in my opinion, not healthy.
Olive oil and avocado oil (fruits not seeds or veg) are fine although I prefer butter or animal fats over these too. That is of course just my opinion.
Thank you.......that is good news for my son who eats butter in breakfast. Have a nice day.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so happy for you. Did you include also butter in your high fat diet......if yes, how much. What do you exactly mean by real fats....Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I use butter but as I have fats from meat I cook I do not use a lot day to day but it is the stuff I use rather than a spread or solidified oil.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Butter is fine. A person's serum cholesterol value is largely determined by their unique genetic makeup, not their diet. Your body regulates it, some people can eat fats containing cholesterol up the yazoo and it stays low, some people can eat no fat and it stays high.

Reactions: Dodo and Dinet

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Butter is fine. A person's serum cholesterol value is largely determined by their unique genetic makeup, not their diet. Your body regulates it, some people can eat fats containing cholesterol up the yazoo and it stays low, some people can eat no fat and it stays high.

We actually agree on something! :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely virtually all edible oils are made from seeds or vegetables?

I wouldn't call many of them healthy though. Far too much omega 6 in most of them, which although esential, is a baddie in quantity. It is inflammatory. We need a better ratio between omega 6 and omega 3 because the omega 3 in anti-inflammatory. According to science, a decent ratio is as small as possible. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

It pays to read all the ingredients and check the oils used for omega content.

Reactions: Dodo