milk versus cream

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
at the moment i have about 200ml whole fat milk and a teaspoon of instant coffee for my breakfast. This gives me 8.3g of protein, but 15g of carbs and around 210 cals.

If I switch to coffee with a tablespoon of double cream, it gives me far fewer carbs, and calories, but only 0.5g of protein.

is there a way of increasing the protein content without adding more calories as I need to lose a lot of weight, so if i have to eat something else to make up the protein, I cant really afford the extra calories.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Maybe some greek yoghurt.... read the labels, 180g gives me 15g of protein, 7 or 8g carbs and about 7g of fat.

Brands vary.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
at the moment i have about 200ml whole fat milk and a teaspoon of instant coffee for my breakfast. This gives me 8.3g of protein, but 15g of carbs and around 210 cals.

If I switch to coffee with a tablespoon of double cream, it gives me far fewer carbs, and calories, but only 0.5g of protein.

is there a way of increasing the protein content without adding more calories as I need to lose a lot of weight, so if i have to eat something else to make up the protein, I cant really afford the extra calories.
You could replace the milk with a low carb whey protein powder as used by body builders. Be careful to read the label before buying as many brands contain added rubbish and some are low fat rather than low carb.

Personally I have given up on milk as too high carb for me, but I eat LOTS of low carb cheese (cheddar) so I don't miss out on protein or calcium.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand your dilemma :arghh:

Could you have the coffee and cream at breakfast, and maybe add an extra egg at some time during the day?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand your dilemma :arghh:

Could you have the coffee and cream at breakfast, and maybe add an extra egg at some time during the day?
thats a good idea. I have the hot milk to try to stop my liver dump mid morning. My fasting blood levels are around 7.6 and creep up to around 9 by the time mid morning comes and i have my 'breakfast', if i dont have something then, it continues to creep up until I eat and can be around 10 pre-lunch. Thats why I gave up on fasting .

Any excuse for another egg or more cheese is always good :)

maisiepug

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
idiots who think they know everything but they really know nothing
I am in the same position, but unfortunately I just cannot give up my milky coffee in the morning, it is my only sin at the moment and make up for it by eating very low carb the rest of the day and I rarely go above 20/25 of carbs and get plenty of protein with the things I eat.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thats a good idea. I have the hot milk to try to stop my liver dump mid morning. My fasting blood levels are around 7.6 and creep up to around 9 by the time mid morning comes and i have my 'breakfast', if i dont have something then, it continues to creep up until I eat and can be around 10 pre-lunch. Thats why I gave up on fasting .

You could always do a small batch of hard boiled eggs, and keep them in the fridge, ready for "whenever". Hard boiled eggs are one of my got-to items for when I need to take something with me, "just in case".

The only downside is if I'm indulging away from home, I won't usually have salt with me.

A hard boiled egg and a cup of coffee, maybe with a bit less milk (or with cream), might give your body something to be going on with.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always do a small batch of hard boiled eggs, and keep them in the fridge, ready for "whenever". Hard boiled eggs are one of my got-to items for when I need to take something with me, "just in case".

The only downside is if I'm indulging away from home, I won't usually have salt with me.

A hard boiled egg and a cup of coffee, maybe with a bit less milk (or with cream), might give your body something to be going on with.

You need to stop in a cafe with all those little bags of salt.
I'm never short of salt and pepper ;)

Reactions: Speedbird and SueJB

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could carry some salt in one of those little tubs that strips come in. It always seems a shame to throw them away. And even a small portion of mayonnaise in a 2nd tub.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to stop in a cafe with all those little bags of salt.
I'm never short of salt and pepper ;)
And if you get very lucky, you might score some little tubs of cream as well.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Turkey breast or egg white and black coffee.

Jo123

200 mls of semi skimmed lactose free milk is 6 gms of carbs and 7.2 gms protein, it tastes virtually identical to normal milk. And it's only 80 calories.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

meandmaboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
200 mls of semi skimmed lactose free milk is 6 gms of carbs and 7.2 gms protein, it tastes virtually identical to normal milk. And it's only 80 calories.
Like most others I find it difficult to have tea with cream, take it in coffee quite happily, I 've started (again !) to go with long life unsweetend soya in my tea. Finding drinking tea almost enjoyable, but wondered if the small (ish) splash of soya would interefere with my fasting.
Any thoughts / ideas appreciated

ps : 32cals per 100ml / <0.5g carbs per 100ml.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These days I have mint and licorice tea, as when on Metformin and a statin everything tasted weird and I stopped drinking ordinary tea as it was just too strange. I drink the tea without any additions.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not worth a thread of its own but when out this morning I bumped into a friend and to get out of the cold we dived into Costa for a hot drink. It was only when I got back I discovered my regular cappucino totals 9g carbs. I am not a frequent coffee shop user or I might have known better!

meandmaboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not worth a thread of its own but when out this morning I bumped into a friend and to get out of the cold we dived into Costa for a hot drink. It was only when I got back I discovered my regular cappucino totals 9g carbs. I am not a frequent coffee shop user or I might have known better!
GULP !!!!!!!!! hope it was enjoyable , for what its worth I used to drink the 2N1 coffees & some where between 7 - 10 grams carb per sachet. Apart from being costly in terms of carbs I was drinking 5-6 sachets per day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The idea of a coffee with cream is to try and stop the liver continuing to dump. Try having it as soon as you get up and not wait till mid morning. Carbs are not a good plan if you are rising so much because the glucose from the carbs will just add to the rise. That's why cream is better than milk at that time of day. You could then have an egg or cheese mid morning if you are peckish.
It worked for me (but I have a generous serving of cream) and it fills me up till lunch time. It is worth a try.

Reactions: meandmaboy