Disagreement with doctors about testing strips

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I really count myself lucky that I get 50 strips a month and can afford to self-fund the rest. I'm diet controlled but the GP is happy that I am using testing to control my BG and weight, so she is supportive of testing. Her view is that I am improving my health.

IJP66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
50 a month is less than 2 a day

I guess you need minimum 2 per day to test when taking insulin

But also you may need them before driving

If you feel like you have a hypo or too high

You can sometimes waste them with not enough blood

In the UK GPS shouldn't put money before your health and safety

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I've got 100 testing strips for a month, which is 3 strips per day. The doc said that should be enough.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've got 100 testing strips for a month, which is 3 strips per day. The doc said that should be enough.

I'm sorry he thinks that, but at least it is better than the 50 he initially gave you. Is there any chance of you self funding some extra ones?

Reactions: zand

karen diana

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m am t3 c and I have been told I have to check my levels at least 5 times a day sometimes more as I have lots of lows and can’t drive until it’s above 4 which has to register on my meter, so if I have a accident my insurance will cover me . I am able to get 200 a month.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
what does he base his decision on? you use insulin, I think?

Yes I do use insulin and I just don't see one doctor, I see multiple doctors at the same surgery.

I'm sorry he thinks that, but at least it is better than the 50 he initially gave you. Is there any chance of you self funding some extra ones?

I could self fund, but I've been told it would be not worth it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do use insulin and I just don't see one doctor, I see multiple doctors at the same surgery.

I could self fund, but I've been told it would be not worth it.
It's up to you. Do you think it's worth it? If yes then self-fund, if no then the nhs is probably right not to let you have any more than you get already. If you don't think you are worth it, then why should anyone else pay? My advice would be to get what you can from your doctors and self fund the rest. You are worth it.

Reactions: dbr10

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been going over last year's numbers, getting ready for my income tax forms... I don't get strips here in Holland, so turns out I paid about 1000 euro's for them last year. (I have a Contour TS meter. Okay, I have 3. One for every purse.). Can I afford that? Nope. But I'll do it again this year, none the less. I'll just cut some other expenses. They help me choose what to order in restaurants, keep me from hypo's, let me know how I'm doing with this flu... For my peace of mind and the ability to make good food choices, FOR ME, it's worth it. No idea how you feel about it, but it's something to consider. Good luck!

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This morning I went to see my doctor to get my blood test results, which I did. Everything is fine apart from my hba1c and when I asked for more testing strips, he denied my request and said that the 50 a month I already get is enough. I'm expected to test once or twice a day, even though I'm on insulin.
that's ridiculous , you are supposed to test before every meal , before driving - and every 2 hours if on a long drive - if you don't do that and have an accident it could invalidate your insurance and lose your licence , contact your MP if you get nowhere with the practice manager

chrisy0_0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been told to not test anymore, due (I think) to the cost of test strips.
Every time I attend the diabetic clinic, they ask what my levels are, and I can't tell them. They just raise their eyebrows when I tell them the G.P. told me to stop testing.
Don't know why as a type 2, I would not have to test?
QUOTE="akindrat18, post: 1698642, member: 53120"]This morning I went to see my doctor to get my blood test results, which I did. Everything is fine apart from my hba1c and when I asked for more testing strips, he denied my request and said that the 50 a month I already get is enough. I'm expected to test once or twice a day, even though I'm on insulin.[/QUOTE]

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been told to not test anymore, due (I think) to the cost of test strips.
Every time I attend the diabetic clinic, they ask what my levels are, and I can't tell them. They just raise their eyebrows when I tell them the G.P. told me to stop testing.
Don't know why as a type 2, I would not have to test?
QUOTE="akindrat18, post: 1698642, member: 53120"]This morning I went to see my doctor to get my blood test results, which I did. Everything is fine apart from my hba1c and when I asked for more testing strips, he denied my request and said that the 50 a month I already get is enough. I'm expected to test once or twice a day, even though I'm on insulin.
[/QUOTE]

The vast majority of us self fund our own meters and test strips. Have you thought of doing this? Your GP can tell you to stop testing, but there is no need to do as you are told, especially as he is wrong.

vaughanie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had my argument about which testing strips and quantity settled by my hospital clinic consultant after attending the DAFOE course. I got a testing machine that calculates the amount of insulin I need and a minimum testing routine of four per day. I argued I needed three boxes per month plus a spare for testing to check for hypos and equally, for testing before driving.

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This morning I went to see my doctor to get my blood test results, which I did. Everything is fine apart from my hba1c and when I asked for more testing strips, he denied my request and said that the 50 a month I already get is enough. I'm expected to test once or twice a day, even though I'm on insulin.

Of course it is all about the cost but just 50 a month is clearly criminal & you need to tell that to your GP because many GP's have only a superficial understanding of diabetes. Basically the more you test, the better control you will have. We are supposed to test before driving & then every 2 hours on a long trip & that is a legal requirement, never mind testing before & after meals to monitor & improve control; the only way in which to improve hba1C.