1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Disagreement with doctors about testing strips

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by akindrat18, Feb 15, 2018.

1. archersuz

archersuz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I really count myself lucky that I get 50 strips a month and can afford to self-fund the rest. I'm diet controlled but the GP is happy that I am using testing to control my BG and weight, so she is supportive of testing. Her view is that I am improving my health.

2. IJP66

IJP66 Type 1 · Member

50 a month is less than 2 a day

I guess you need minimum 2 per day to test when taking insulin

But also you may need them before driving

If you feel like you have a hypo or too high

You can sometimes waste them with not enough blood

In the UK GPS shouldn't put money before your health and safety

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. garlicmonster

garlicmonster Type 2 · Newbie

My practice has point blank refused my request to supply any strips

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's not as if they're there to help you, though, is it?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mark_1

Mark_1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. akindrat18

akindrat18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well I've got 100 testing strips for a month, which is 3 strips per day. The doc said that should be enough.

7. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

what does he base his decision on? you use insulin, I think?

8. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I'm sorry he thinks that, but at least it is better than the 50 he initially gave you. Is there any chance of you self funding some extra ones?

• Like Like x 1
  9. karen diana

karen diana Type 3 · Member

I’m am t3 c and I have been told I have to check my levels at least 5 times a day sometimes more as I have lots of lows and can’t drive until it’s above 4 which has to register on my meter, so if I have a accident my insurance will cover me . I am able to get 200 a month.

10. akindrat18

akindrat18 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes I do use insulin and I just don't see one doctor, I see multiple doctors at the same surgery.

I could self fund, but I've been told it would be not worth it.

11. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

It's up to you. Do you think it's worth it? If yes then self-fund, if no then the nhs is probably right not to let you have any more than you get already. If you don't think you are worth it, then why should anyone else pay? My advice would be to get what you can from your doctors and self fund the rest. You are worth it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bluetit1802

I agree with @zand

13. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

who told you that?

14. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I've been going over last year's numbers, getting ready for my income tax forms... I don't get strips here in Holland, so turns out I paid about 1000 euro's for them last year. (I have a Contour TS meter. Okay, I have 3. One for every purse.). Can I afford that? Nope. But I'll do it again this year, none the less. I'll just cut some other expenses. They help me choose what to order in restaurants, keep me from hypo's, let me know how I'm doing with this flu... For my peace of mind and the ability to make good food choices, FOR ME, it's worth it. No idea how you feel about it, but it's something to consider. Good luck!

• Like Like x 3
  15. jnk001

jnk001 Type 1 · Member

that's ridiculous , you are supposed to test before every meal , before driving - and every 2 hours if on a long drive - if you don't do that and have an accident it could invalidate your insurance and lose your licence , contact your MP if you get nowhere with the practice manager

• Like Like x 1
  16. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

17. chrisy0_0

chrisy0_0 Type 2 · Newbie

I have been told to not test anymore, due (I think) to the cost of test strips.
    Every time I attend the diabetic clinic, they ask what my levels are, and I can't tell them. They just raise their eyebrows when I tell them the G.P. told me to stop testing.
    Don't know why as a type 2, I would not have to test?
    QUOTE="akindrat18, post: 1698642, member: 53120"]This morning I went to see my doctor to get my blood test results, which I did. Everything is fine apart from my hba1c and when I asked for more testing strips, he denied my request and said that the 50 a month I already get is enough. I'm expected to test once or twice a day, even though I'm on insulin.[/QUOTE]

18. Bluetit1802

[/QUOTE]

The vast majority of us self fund our own meters and test strips. Have you thought of doing this? Your GP can tell you to stop testing, but there is no need to do as you are told, especially as he is wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  19. vaughanie

vaughanie Type 1 · Member

I had my argument about which testing strips and quantity settled by my hospital clinic consultant after attending the DAFOE course. I got a testing machine that calculates the amount of insulin I need and a minimum testing routine of four per day. I argued I needed three boxes per month plus a spare for testing to check for hypos and equally, for testing before driving.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Keith_Simpson

Keith_Simpson Type 2 · Active Member

Of course it is all about the cost but just 50 a month is clearly criminal & you need to tell that to your GP because many GP's have only a superficial understanding of diabetes. Basically the more you test, the better control you will have. We are supposed to test before driving & then every 2 hours on a long trip & that is a legal requirement, never mind testing before & after meals to monitor & improve control; the only way in which to improve hba1C.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook