low carb bread

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Does anyone know of a really good low carb bread, that doesn't taste like cardboard and isn't horrendously expensive!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
High protein rolls from Lidl.
Delicious sliced in half and toasted with lots of butter, and freeze well. 29p each. They weigh around 100g a roll

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.
Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 289kcal/1203kJ
Fat 13.8g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.3g
Protein 25.0g
Salt 1.03g

Reactions: dbr10

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only speak from my own experience and testing results. I eat ordinary wholemeal bread and can have two slices at one time without spiking my blood sugars.

maybe you could try once slice, test two hours later, and see what your husbands tolerance for bread is?

I cant afford speciality bread and can buy or make a whole loaf for £1. I split the loaf and freeze it in daily portions to reduce temptation.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are two low carb loaves which I enjoy both seeded:
Livlife loaf 3.8g per slice from Waitrose and
Hilo loaf 5g a slice from Sainsbury’s
both about £1.75 per loaf but I’ve been lucky and found these on reduced stickers and frozen in small packs
I also like the Lidl rolls and they are good value for me as I slice them into 6 slices and freeze them in 3 slice packs.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Before I stopped eating bread of any kind my preferred one was Burgen sold at Sainsburys and Morrisons. The HiLo I found to be a rip off as the loaf is tiny and the slices are tiny, too.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know of a really good low carb bread, that doesn't taste like cardboard and isn't horrendously expensive!
Hi I found LivLife Seriously Seeded from Waitrose very low carb and lower in calories than others, not huge slices but as the carb count is low you can maybe have more than 1 slice. I enjoy it toasted with butter or peanut butter.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Most of the low carb breads I've found are seeded which look and smell delicious but are not suitable for those of us with diverticulat disease. Has anyone found a LC version that is also at least very low on grains/seeds? Would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks. P.S This discussion is making me hungry. :):hungry::D

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bergen Soya and Linseed low carb bread has standard size slices not the postage stamp slices of the other really expensive low carb bread

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Wow, thanks for all the replies, very helpful, no Lidl near me so I think I'll try waitrose.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make a low carb "bread" which I use sliced into fingers but it doesn't really work as a sandwich bread. Any normal bread spikes me but I can manage a Lidl Hi Protein roll from time to time. Sadly I don't have a Lidl nearby, hence making my own.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Yes that's another possibility I've thought of making my own low carb bread, thanks