1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

low carb bread

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by timerich, Feb 28, 2018.

1. timerich

timerich Family member · Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a really good low carb bread, that doesn't taste like cardboard and isn't horrendously expensive!

2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

High protein rolls from Lidl.
    Delicious sliced in half and toasted with lots of butter, and freeze well. 29p each. They weigh around 100g a roll

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.
    Nutritional Information
    Typical Values per 100g
    Energy 289kcal/1203kJ
    Fat 13.8g
    Of which saturates 1.8g
    Carbohydrate 9.8g
    Of which sugars 1.2g
    Fibre 12.3g
    Protein 25.0g
    Salt 1.03g

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I can only speak from my own experience and testing results. I eat ordinary wholemeal bread and can have two slices at one time without spiking my blood sugars.

maybe you could try once slice, test two hours later, and see what your husbands tolerance for bread is?

I cant afford speciality bread and can buy or make a whole loaf for £1. I split the loaf and freeze it in daily portions to reduce temptation.

5. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Or you could eat a very small piece of Sourdough

6. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are two low carb loaves which I enjoy both seeded:
    Livlife loaf 3.8g per slice from Waitrose and
    Hilo loaf 5g a slice from Sainsbury’s
    both about £1.75 per loaf but I’ve been lucky and found these on reduced stickers and frozen in small packs
    I also like the Lidl rolls and they are good value for me as I slice them into 6 slices and freeze them in 3 slice packs.

7. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Before I stopped eating bread of any kind my preferred one was Burgen sold at Sainsburys and Morrisons. The HiLo I found to be a rip off as the loaf is tiny and the slices are tiny, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

#8 Boo1979, Feb 28, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  9. jayney27

jayney27 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi I found LivLife Seriously Seeded from Waitrose very low carb and lower in calories than others, not huge slices but as the carb count is low you can maybe have more than 1 slice. I enjoy it toasted with butter or peanut butter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dogslife

dogslife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Most of the low carb breads I've found are seeded which look and smell delicious but are not suitable for those of us with diverticulat disease. Has anyone found a LC version that is also at least very low on grains/seeds? Would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks. P.S This discussion is making me hungry. :):hungry::D

11. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Bergen Soya and Linseed low carb bread has standard size slices not the postage stamp slices of the other really expensive low carb bread

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. timerich

Wow, thanks for all the replies, very helpful, no Lidl near me so I think I'll try waitrose.

13. TooManyCrisps

TooManyCrisps Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I make a low carb "bread" which I use sliced into fingers but it doesn't really work as a sandwich bread. Any normal bread spikes me but I can manage a Lidl Hi Protein roll from time to time. Sadly I don't have a Lidl nearby, hence making my own.

14. timerich

Yes that's another possibility I've thought of making my own low carb bread, thanks

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook