Libre NHS criteria

Freestyleuser

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
UPDATE: Just had a call to say that the two sensors I ordered yesterday morning from Lloyds pharmacy in Sainsburys are waiting for collection - WOW!
Could you tell me please which branch of Sainsburys you found these, and is the price you pay as per your earlier posy?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have now been to several pharmacies, Boots said £63, no mention of knocking off the VAT as they should for diabetic products, Asda the same price and didn't know anything about not charging VAT, Tesco didn't do them at all but I have ordered two from a Lloyds pharmacy that's inside Sainsburys for £46.36 (no VAT charged) with a delivery of 3-5 days. I went to my local Lloyds and they hadn't registered with Abbot but would do it and let me know so that I can get them even more locally than from Sainsburys. It looks like Abbot have decided to do all the supplying through pharmacies according to their literature which I suppose makes more sense to only deliver to them instead of to private houses all over the place. Would like to know if they can be bought for less than I paid so will keep asking other pharmacies in my area. The NHS pay £35 each for them so there's still hope I can find them cheaper!

Chemists are not able to knock off the VAT to the individual purchaser as they themselves are charged it and have to claim it back. Had a long conversation with my lovely chemist about this. The £46.36 charged by Sainsbury is about right. Allowing them to make a profit, which as a business they are within their rights to do so.

Last edited:

Mickw 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe the criteria set

At least one of these
1 pump user
2. Type 1
3 testing blood sugars min 8 times a day
4. Need assist during hypo and much much more .

I'm 1.2.3

And have a appoint via n..h.s with a private diabetic clinic this month but not holding my breath .

Mick

diabetes786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are one of the few people to get one in Leeds as you obviously have extra issues (which I believe is morally right) Told only 30 out of 3000 at my last appointment. Not on the cards for the vast majority of us in Leeds.
I know the feeling, I have had to recently start buying the sensors myself because they are amazing, The only place locally that I can get them is star Pharmacy in Headingley, ordered off the pharmacy on monday they sent me a text on tuesday to say they have arrived, £50 per sensor is quite steep, but still cheaper than I get online at the moment, Hope this helps. Good luck with getting on prescription.

diabetes786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I too am waiting over 3 weeks for my sensor. Wrote several emails letting them know I'm not happy! Mines now been picked but still have got another 5 workings days at least! I have just been on the Asda site and tried to find the sensors. Can't find anything. What did you put in the search? I've tried everything but only getting Gillette sensors lol! :)
Try star pharmacy in headingley in leeds, I have been buying for few months, I cant reccomend them enough, They got them the next day, apparaently they have a direct account with Abbott.

D

Deleted Account

Yes, I wondered that too when I first read about the device. It does seem like a most unfortunate name... Just wander down to the feminine hygiene aisle in your favourite supermarket....
That's because it's not called "Libra". It's called "Libre".
I guess they (and maybe sanitary products) are playing on the Spanish word for "Free"

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly its been a life changer for me, even being a IDDM Type1 for 40 years this little devilish gadget taught me some new tricks! :)

On intensive insulin therapy (like I believe most Type1s are these days) I typically would punch my fingers 5-6 times a day to maintain good bg control. So just the economical business case to have this device is positive, as the breakeven point for the costs aspect alone is around 5 finger prick measure sticks/day based on my local prices for the required alternatives. And when one also consider the improved therapy results and the increased quality of life for the patient, it should be obvious for everybody involved (all stakeholders, from state, health authorities, to healthcare providers, to patients and their relatives) that this device should replace the old fashioned bg test sticks asap for every body needing more than 3 tests a day to maintain their proper bg levels!

Mind you, I am not living in the UK. But I have long since dropped using any other bg meter after getting onto the Libre, and fully rely on it for everything I do, driving, diving, skiing, traveling, etc etc. And as far as I know, then all T1 diabetics here in Belgium have been switched entirely.

We should not need to be admitted to the A&E in coma before we get the tool we need to live a decent life!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And as far as I know, then all T1 diabetics here in Belgium have been switched entirely.

Just bear in mind that for a few people its results are so inaccurate so as to be completely useless, so they need an alternative cgm or old fashioned blood tests... (What I don't know is the proportion of people for whom this is the case, but I know that I'm not the only one on these boards and I doubt very much that I am that special a snowflake...:))

Z

Ziggyzog

Sorry to hear that however I’ve got one on the NHS in Leeds and have not had any hospital admissions and my hba1c is 56.... I test more than 8 times a day and have erratic readings which has led to background retinopathy progressing to diabetic maculopathy detection so I’m going for further eye examinations. I was approved a libre trial just started today. Just waiting for my sensor to activate..! So clearly ‘criteria’ for a libre varies across the country which is totally unfair.
Hi I have my testing for maculopathy next week. They detected retinopathy and in jam this year maculopathy. It’d be nice to be in contact with someone who is going through what I am. You don’t have to obviously it’s just a request if you’d like to message.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just bear in mind that for a few people its results are so inaccurate so as to be completely useless, so they need an alternative cgm or old fashioned blood tests... (What I don't know is the proportion of people for whom this is the case, but I know that I'm not the only one on these boards and I doubt very much that I am that special a snowflake...:))
Hey come on EllieM,
Give yourself some credit where due - Every single snowflake is globally unique and beautiful in its own making! :)

But true, there have been several that have reported back to not get 'precise' measurements with the Libre. I will need to get better data behind these observations to better understand the issues they may experience and root cause. Many diabetics think their 'old fashioned' bg meter is pretty accurate. While in reality they also have a proportionally large variation range, aka 10-20% off in either direction. So does btw also your blood sugar circulating in your body, so all depending on where you tap it out from, you will get a different reading. Even the difference between your fingers or from one warm left hand to cold right hand can make a huge difference in bg. Interesting subject for sure, and I will also myself try and keep an eye open for more substantiated data around the Libre results and the experiences fellow diabetics report back when using it.

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But true, there have been several that have reported back to not get 'precise' measurements with the Libre.
I could cope with imprecise measurements. I'm one of the few who can have a libre reading of LO when a blood test reads 6 - I assume because my allergy to the sensor makes my blood sugar lower round it - and I've cross checked both with the blood strips compatible to the libre and two different blood testing meters.... The libre worked beautifully for me before I developed the allergy....

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could cope with imprecise measurements. I'm one of the few who can have a libre reading of LO when a blood test reads 6 - I assume because my allergy to the sensor makes my blood sugar lower round it - and I've cross checked both with the blood strips compatible to the libre and two different blood testing meters.... The libre worked beautifully for me before I developed the allergy....
That is actually a very interesting observation you made there Ellie!
Its though not because your bg is lower around the sensor because of allergy, but could be because the bio-chemical reactions in the area are 'disturbing' the electric conduity in the tissue components that the sensor measures on and thereby skew the resulting bg it perceives should be present. Did you share this already with the Abbott tech guys?
Btw, when did you stop using the sensor? I am asking as I was also having some allergy reactions to the sensor during the first 8-14 months or so. Some weeks it could be flaring up pretty badly. But around 1+ year ago or so, Abbott changed the formula used for the 'glue' used on the patch and also the material on that sticky material holding the glue and attaching it to the plastic cartridge with the sensor itself. After this, all my allergy has totally gone away. So depending on the model versions you tried in the past, it might be worthwhile giving it another try?

Fatima_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I believe the criteria set

At least one of these
1 pump user
2. Type 1
3 testing blood sugars min 8 times a day
4. Need assist during hypo and much much more .

I'm 1.2.3

And have a appoint via n..h.s with a private diabetic clinic this month but not holding my breath .

Mick

According to my consultant, the criteria is set depending on the area you are in.. the criteria you mentioned is also harsh but my consultant mentioned many more like hospital admissions for severe hypos, an average hba1c of 69 and above.. and many more

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have a Freestyle Libre which I got for free when I took part in a trial. Now though this expensive piece of kit is just sitting in a box doing nothing. It's really frustrating as I found it really useful and helped me to see patterns but like most people I cannot afford £100 a month as my GP surgery will not prescribe me the sensors.

What makes me laugh is if it's about cost it makes no sense. Test strips cost at least £25 for 50 and lancets about £5 per box. I get 200 strips and 2 boxes of lancets a month so the price difference is minimal.

If you drive then you still have to finger prick. I still finger prick for bolusing and checking highs and lows

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you drive then you still have to finger prick. I still finger prick for bolusing and checking highs and lows
This question about if you drive you have to finger prick puzzles me. I have recently applied to have my drivers licence renewed and yes it does say on the application form that it is a legal requirement that diabetics must finger prick before driving etc etc. However, I can find no trace of any legislation that actually states that this is the law. There is nothing in the road traffic act, I can find no statutes that say this and in fact can find no offence listed that you could get fined for. Yes there is the old standby about driving with drink/drugs and insulin does come within that but I am beginning to think this is just the DVLA using scare tactics. Can anyone confirm this at all ?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This question about if you drive you have to finger prick puzzles me. I have recently applied to have my drivers licence renewed and yes it does say on the application form that it is a legal requirement that diabetics must finger prick before driving etc etc. However, I can find no trace of any legislation that actually states that this is the law. There is nothing in the road traffic act, I can find no statutes that say this and in fact can find no offence listed that you could get fined for. Yes there is the old standby about driving with drink/drugs and insulin does come within that but I am beginning to think this is just the DVLA using scare tactics. Can anyone confirm this at all ?
I dont know about the law but Im 95% certain that failure to test ( and therefore not having proof you have done so via bg meter reading) invalidates your insurance in the event of an accident - insurance companies will grab any loophole going

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I dont know about the law but Im 95% certain that failure to test ( and therefore not having proof you have done so via bg meter reading) invalidates your insurance in the event of an accident - insurance companies will grab any loophole going
Anyone know when this "rule" came in? I left the UK in 1999 and am pretty sure it wasn't around then... Just had to renew my license every three years and give details of my diabetic clinic... Insurance companies were sublimely uninterested in my diabetes (I told them but was told it didn't matter as long as DVLA thought I was OK to drive it was fine).

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Btw, when did you stop using the sensor? I am asking as I was also having some allergy reactions to the sensor during the first 8-14 months or so. Some weeks it could be flaring up pretty badly. But around 1+ year ago or so, Abbott changed the formula used for the 'glue' used on the patch and also the material on that sticky material holding the glue and attaching it to the plastic cartridge with the sensor itself. After this, all my allergy has totally gone away. So depending on the model versions you tried in the past, it might be worthwhile giving it another try?

Now that's interesting. It was about a year ago that I developed the allergy so I wonder if it was the new formulation that was the problem? Abbott were very willing to replace sensors, even send me a new reader, but extremely unwilling to discuss the elephant in the room, the allergy. I certainly told them about it, they just suggested I talk to a doctor....

I have one sensor left, which I'll use soon, before it expires. I live in hope that allergy will have abated, but realistically it seems unlikely. Though I might ask Abbott NZ when they last changed the glue.... (I doubt very much they'll answer, as they don't seem to want to admit that some people have issues.)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone know when this "rule" came in? I left the UK in 1999 and am pretty sure it wasn't around then... Just had to renew my license every three years and give details of my diabetic clinic... Insurance companies were sublimely uninterested in my diabetes (I told them but was told it didn't matter as long as DVLA thought I was OK to drive it was fine).
https://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.u.../2016/10/Hypos-and-driving-UC201705005-EE.pdf
http://www.leicestershirediabetes.o...nts/Safe Driving and the DVLA final050812.pdf