Armageddon

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think, like I said earlier, dying soon after the nuclear holocaust would be preferable over surviving it and witnessing the aftermath.
Ironically it wouldn’t affect us here in rural Ireland as much as it would in a big city like London. That would be hell. Life in Kerry would kind of be the same. People would do more hunting and fishing and all get along nicely.
Depends how good an aim the nuke had, to be fair... one pointed at London could land in Dublin ;)

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
gets you thinking about those who live in deprived areas where one cannot access health services are as good as dead if they suddenly come down with diabetes, or if you were in times where people were dying from an unknown illness until it was officially recognised or as long as sugar was invented

Reactions: mountaintom

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I think the stress involved in this scenario would raise sugar levels something chronic.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
gets you thinking about those who live in deprived areas where one cannot access health services are as good as dead if they suddenly come down with diabetes, or if you were in times where people were dying from an unknown illness until it was officially recognised or as long as sugar was invented

Precisely my point when I hear people on here having a moan.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was a small sickly baby during the Cuban missile crisis, and my T1 mother briefly obsessed about stockpiling the obscure type of milk that was the only thing I tolerated at the time... (Guess she reckoned that there was no point to stockpiling insulin.)

Why worry about what might never happen, when I was a young man we all were considering building fall out shelters!
I've still got my copy of the Government classic leaflet "Protect and Survive", which explains what to do in the event of a nuclear attack.:)

IN fiction, the standard scenario seems to be that you raid all the local and non-local pharmacies and then die after 6 months when you run out! But I'm not a particularly fast runner, so I reckon the zombies would get me first.

Interestingly, there was supposedly one man in the Channel Islands during the WW2 German occupation, where the limited insulin supplies meant that all the T1s died after the insulin ran out, who went off grid and starved himself and survived. Unfortunately I can't find the link, so I don't know whether he was early in diagnosis or maybe even a T2.... As I remember he was T1 and in the resistance....????

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think, like I said earlier, dying soon after the nuclear holocaust would be preferable over surviving it and witnessing the aftermath.
Ironically it wouldn’t affect us here in rural Ireland as much as it would in a big city like London. That would be hell. Life in Kerry would kind of be the same. People would do more hunting and fishing and all get along nicely.

Do you have all those leathered bog burials in Kerry? Would it be like meet the zombie ancestors? Bet they knew a thing or two about brewing, and zombie good craic.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I don't know how true it is, but around the time of the Plague the aristocracy survived better than most as they only drank alcohol. This had a side benefit of slowing diabetic disease as the liver was far to occupied about getting rid of the alcohol to start dumping glucose. Shame that you died of a young age from of all sorts of liver diseases, but it wasn't diabetes.
No insulin even with the internet the T1 forum would be a very quiet place. Noobs making their initial post, a few days latter... Apparently you can live foe a few weeks without insulin, however at some point in time you pass the point of no return, so even if you started taking insulin the damage is so great the end is nigh. This may not be correct, but it was in a discussion I had with knowledgeable medical personnel.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
So fleas don’t like alcohol-sodden victims! Getting in the Armageddon supplies! May as well go out insensate as well as hypo from the end-it-all overdose

Reactions: Dodo

lindisfel

Expert
I was a small sickly baby during the Cuban missile crisis, and my T1 mother briefly obsessed about stockpiling the obscure type of milk that was the only thing I tolerated at the time... (Guess she reckoned that there was no point to stockpiling insulin.)

I've still got my copy of the Government classic leaflet "Protect and Survive", which explains what to do in the event of a nuclear attack.:)

IN fiction, the standard scenario seems to be that you raid all the local and non-local pharmacies and then die after 6 months when you run out! But I'm not a particularly fast runner, so I reckon the zombies would get me first.

Interestingly, there was supposedly one man in the Channel Islands during the WW2 German occupation, where the limited insulin supplies meant that all the T1s died after the insulin ran out, who went off grid and starved himself and survived. Unfortunately I can't find the link, so I don't know whether he was early in diagnosis or maybe even a T2.... As I remember he was T1 and in the resistance....????

I wonder if one fed grain to cattle before they were slaughtered and then ate the raw pancreas from them would it help?
Derek

lindisfel

Expert
Depends how good an aim the nuke had, to be fair... one pointed at London could land in Dublin ;)
You dead right Mel, there is no escape. Chernobyl set off all the alarms at Sellafield nuclear plant in Cumbria when it rained and the fell sheep couldn't be eaten for years.
D.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's any help to the discussion. I saw this documentary on TV a few years ago...

But this is on the basis that the human race just checks out of the hotel. ;)