RIP Lidl High Protein Rolls

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, my friends, I'm so sad to post the official news from Lidl that HPRs are being discontinued. As you can see, I've asked them for the recipe and will post it if I get it. I've tried other low carb bread recipes, but they just don't hit the HPR spot.

Let's take a moment...

Lidl
9 minutes ago

Hi All,

While we know this will be dissapointing to the customers who regularly buy the high protein rolls, especially for health reasons, we can confirm Lidl has taken the decision to discontinue them.

We have heard great feedback on them in the past on My Lidl from those who do buy them but unfortunately they simply weren't selling through well in the stores.

Best,
My Lidl Team

PinkMinx
2 seconds ago

Thank you @Lidl for the feedback and it is indeed disappointing that these are being discontinued.

Can I make a request? If they are not scheduled to return at any point, could I ask you for the recipe so I can make them myself? I know this is cheeky and you probably won't be able to let me have it, but us LCHF diabetics would love you forever!

Kind regards.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-28_11-53-4.png
    upload_2018-3-28_11-53-4.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,049
Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, my friends, I'm so sad to post the official news from Lidl that HPRs are being discontinued. As you can see, I've asked them for the recipe and will post it if I get it. I've tried other low carb bread recipes, but they just don't hit the HPR spot.

Let's take a moment...

Lidl
9 minutes ago

Hi All,

While we know this will be dissapointing to the customers who regularly buy the high protein rolls, especially for health reasons, we can confirm Lidl has taken the decision to discontinue them.

We have heard great feedback on them in the past on My Lidl from those who do buy them but unfortunately they simply weren't selling through well in the stores.

Best,
My Lidl Team

PinkMinx
2 seconds ago

Thank you @Lidl for the feedback and it is indeed disappointing that these are being discontinued.

Can I make a request? If they are not scheduled to return at any point, could I ask you for the recipe so I can make them myself? I know this is cheeky and you probably won't be able to let me have it, but us LCHF diabetics would love you forever!

Kind regards.
Oh dear. RIP HPR. They also lost me as a customer because now I have no reason to shop there.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Let's take a moment...

Lidl
9 minutes ago

Hi All,

Best,
My Lidl Team

PinkMinx
2 seconds ago

Kind regards.
May i ask where you saw this? xx

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, certainly - it was on the "Lidl Community dot co dot uk" (you can work the address out!) website - I went to the Product Reviews tab and posted on the High Protein Roll page. That was their response to me. Let's get that petition signed to try to change their minds! (It was on the Change dot org site.)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The whisper I heard is that the supplier they found was not quite on message with what was wanted and the recipe was a normal amount of carbs with a slightly increased protein content, so even if they were higher protein they would not have been suitable for diabetics.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Let's take a moment...

Lidl
9 minutes ago

Hi All,

Best,
My Lidl Team

PinkMinx
2 seconds ago

Kind regards.

I am not registered, but as you are, maybe a reply to the effect that if the rolls were marketed as LOW CARB rather than high protein, they would sell better. How many know they are low carb? Only the few of us on this forum I imagine.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you ask you whisper source to get hold of the original recipe and we can start back-engineering?!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that the ingredients were listed on the Lidl website - and perhaps included here on the forum - but there are some which are not easily obtainable - not in the low starch form used.

Reactions: JosiesMum

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The ingredients list is
Water
Linseeds
Wheat protein
Soya flour
Wholewheat flour
Sesame
Soybean meal
Sunflower seeds
Wheat bran
Oat fibre
Yeast
Curcuma

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that the ingredients were listed on the Lidl website - and perhaps included here on the forum - but there are some which are not easily obtainable - not in the low starch form used.

Yes, you're right, @Resurgam - I know I've seen a list of ingredients on one of the threads a while ago, but I'm sure you're right that some of them aren't easily obtainable. I'm also not great and tinkering with recipes. Maybe we should try to crowd-fund a back-engineering-capable commercial baker to do it for us! (Then patent them and make loads of money! ;))

Reactions: joss.t2

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
I would have loved to try this bread, but Lidl in Northern Ireland never had them in store , but by the number of people on this site are able to eat them if they were markets as Low Carb they would sell like hot cakes over hear.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ingredients list is
Water
Linseeds
Wheat protein
Soya flour
Wholewheat flour
Sesame
Soybean meal
Sunflower seeds
Wheat bran
Oat fibre
Yeast
Curcuma
The ingredient list I got was this which has a few proportions too

Water,
17 % Linseed,
Wheat Protein,
Soy Flour,
Whole Wheat Flour ,
4 % Sesame,
Soybean Meal,
3 % Sunflower seeds,
Wheat Bran,
Yeast ,
Oat Fiber,
Salt,
Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma),
Thickener: Guar Gum.

Which may give more clues although not unfortunately the complete recipe...

Which is from here

Attachments

• CS Bakery Overview - NFL.pdf
    317.9 KB · Views: 2,101

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The ingredients are listed in order of percentage - highest first, so there are a few clues as to where to start trials.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I am sorry for those who liked them couldn't stand them myself but I did get them for my T2 husband but he would only have one or two a week he prefers Bergen bread really. The last lot we bought were on the Saturday before last on our way to Cornwall We were about 3/4 hour away from St Ives when we spotted a Lidl and went in to get some rolls. They had plenty there and my daughter asked if they were being discontinued and they said they had not been informed that they were so were still baking them every day

timat22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not registered, but as you are, maybe a reply to the effect that if the rolls were marketed as LOW CARB rather than high protein, they would sell better. How many know they are low carb? Only the few of us on this forum I imagine.

When I first heard about these rolls from this forum, I went to Lidl's to get some. I had no idea what to look for and when I asked an assistant for help she didn't know either. However she did call a manager who had no idea either. I had to explain about this forum which she checked out to find which bread it was.
I agree the problem with this product is the marketing.
Just hope Livlife is here to stay.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to all the Sherlock Holmeses on here, getting info from the 'net - great deducing! :) (I am always amazed at the in-depth research carried out by Forum members.) If anyone does make a Lidl roll look-and-taste-alike please post your results! Those ingredients are quite expensive and as @Resurgam says, not easily obtainable, so a bit of a gamble if you aren't the world's greatest breadmaker (me, for instance....) I have made the fathead dough rolls which are acceptable but nowhere near as satisfying as the Holy Grail of rolls, although they are nice with soup and pate. Good point from @knoxy55 - they need to be remarketed as low carb as it does seem to be a bit of a buzz-phrase at the moment.