Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
5.6 at 8:00 AM Canada

So, I'm an idiot, I keep thinking 5.6 is high when it's where I should want it to be because when my blood sugars in the 4's I have this feeling of hunger like yesterday when it was 4.2 I was like where is the friddddggeeee

For me if I can keep it between 5.5-6.5 I am happy ! Some will disagree with that quote but it’s what each individual is content with and can control without starving oneself.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
A 6.9 this morning after an hour of bits.
Feeling optimistic again. GP appointment went well this morning. Repeat prescription form is looking more accurate now and I have told him how difficult it is to get paracetamol in the doses he's recommending. 2 packets per shop purchase is driving me nuts. Cheap but a nuisance to keep enough in the house when taking every 4hrs (8 tablets max in 24hrs).
2 boxes of 16=32 so lasts me 4 days.
What about the remaining 3 days of the week?
A recce in town and all its pound shops and chemists is needed.
A month supply at 19p per 16 is far cheaper than a private script for 2months supply for just under £12 to chemist then cost of gp filling in script.
I'm all for saving the nhs but why is it soooo expensive for Joe blogg?

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might have seemed a little insensitive of me, if so sorry. What I didn't say was that both my parents passed away the same day and being an only child it presented me with a unique opportunity. Again, sorry if I appear to be talking from a position of comfort compared to others, that is not my intention.

Oh - I'm sorry I wasn't criticising and I'm sorry to hear that you lost both parents at the same time - what a trauma to go thorough. I have friends who have retired on health grounds as teaching has destroyed their health completely - I think that I'm probably very lucky to have realised that can find at least some sort of balance and keep working - because despite all the c##p I really do love being with the children :)

Longer term I keep thinking that sooner or later so many teachers will have burnt out and gone that there will just have to be a big change. Young people are only sticking it a couple of years now!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Oh - I'm sorry I wasn't criticising and I'm sorry to hear that you lost both parents at the same time - what a trauma to go thorough. I have friends who have retired on health grounds as teaching has destroyed their health completely - I think that I'm probably very lucky to have realised that can find at least some sort of balance and keep working - because despite all the c##p I really do love being with the children :)

Longer term I keep thinking that sooner or later so many teachers will have burnt out and gone that there will just have to be a big change. Young people are only sticking it a couple of years now!
Some of the teachers leave to do office work as in the private sector can be similiar money. :(

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh - I'm sorry I wasn't criticising and I'm sorry to hear that you lost both parents at the same time - what a trauma to go thorough.
I didn't actually think you were criticising but from time to time I think some of us need to learn the phrase "check your privilege". The day was quite surreal but two abiding memories are the sheer amount of tea people made me and the relief of not having to try to explain to mum that dad had died or watch dad spend the rest of his life blaming himself for her death thinking he should have looked after her better.
I just wanted to make sure I hadn't offended anyone:)

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It varies with what exercise etc I have done but generally Trifle works well and a mini hot cross bun. Other people will have different views. Enjoy for me always comes back to a reading 2 hours later - I get distraught if I see a 6 anywhere.
Light at the end of the diabetic tunnel then! Trifle!!! Nom nom nom!!! Do you test after 1 hour and never see a 6 or only after 2 hours? Thanks.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It varies with what exercise etc I have done but generally Trifle works well and a mini hot cross bun. Other people will have different views. Enjoy for me always comes back to a reading 2 hours later - I get distraught if I see a 6 anywhere.
Sorry ignore my last reply. I re-read and it's 2 hours! Apologies.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Light at the end of the diabetic tunnel then! Trifle!!! Nom nom nom!!! Do you test after 1 hour and never see a 6 or only after 2 hours? Thanks.
Both but generally only 2 hrs. I always test big meals e.g. family meal at 4 hrs as some foods can have delayed spike - if I see a 6+ at 2 hrs I would generally remove the food or combination from my diet. I generally have look for cream (lots) on or with deserts and red wine with the meal - but that is just me! Most often I would have cheese and nuts for desert. ( I do love my coffee with cream and brandy as well)

Last edited:
Reactions: geefull

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't actually think you were criticising but from time to time I think some of us need to learn the phrase "check your privilege". The day was quite surreal but two abiding memories are the sheer amount of tea people made me and the relief of not having to try to explain to mum that dad had died or watch dad spend the rest of his life blaming himself for her death thinking he should have looked after her better.

I don’t think ‘like’ is quite the right response to your post @ianpspurs but my heart goes out to you.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

'Check your privilege'

"Check your privilege" is a wise phrase - making the world a better and more understanding place <3

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People like me appreciate teachers. Just a shame some low lives don't. :( No respect. In the 70s these people were in the minority now they're the majority. :(
The respectful minority are stressed out from covering for the lack of others, it seems. Society is breaking down.
A very sad start for tiny ones. They often don't know anything other than being unkind. :(
I do blame the parents, some of them.
Our highly respected school doesn't allow parents at sports day. Very very sad.

Thought I'd said this the other day - but I think my ropey WiFi ate the reply - I LOVE YOU @ickihun

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect a large brandy would have hit the spot better
I didn't actually drink any alcohol for a few days - my sons drank the county dry for me. A weird zen like calm settled on me. My focus was on delivering the best eulogy I could.

Last edited:
Reactions: geefull and DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Both but generally only 2 hrs. I always test big meals e.g. family meal at 4 hrs as some foods can have delayed spike - if I see a 6+ at 2 hrs I would generally remove the food or combination from my diet. I generally have look for cream (lots) on or with deserts and red wine with the meal - but that is just me! Most often I would have cheese and nuts for desert. ( I do love my coffee with cream and brandy as well)
Really helpful thank you.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I correct in thinking that your pre pradial reading would be around the 4 mark? I have read that it's good if your post pradial is less than 2 points above starting point.