Dawn dump

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Someone else suggested Greek yoghurt or a little bit of carb but as I'm only sort of eating 30-40 g a day, the bread and peanut would blow my allowance:happy:.An small apple might be OK =10g or an orange at 8g. Thanks for the suggestions.
How about a boiled egg or a little olives and cheese?

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't eat breakfast, OK sometimes I'll have a sliver of cheese. I've tried coffee with cream and I still get a dawn dump.
This morning BG @7am = 6.4 now 11am = 8.8 (had to test because I'm driving)
Does anyone have any successful antidump tips to share please?
Eating breakfast is the only way [aside from medication] to tell the alpha cells in the pancreas to stop telling the liver to dump glucose. I try to use Novorapid to lower my fasting levels before breakfast but the reaction is anything but rapid.. it takes perhaps 2 hours to show usually only a small drop. My take on it is that the liver is not able to absorb glucose whilst it is still being told to dump it & after all, that would normally be logical. Only after I eat breakfast does my glucose level begin to respond properly to insulin, I can only assume this is because the liver has stopped dumping glucose & can now absorb instead.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone else suggested Greek yoghurt or a little bit of carb but as I'm only sort of eating 30-40 g a day, the bread and peanut would blow my allowance:happy:.An small apple might be OK =10g or an orange at 8g. Thanks for the suggestions.

My take on this would be, it’s all very well being low carb, but if you are not stopping the morning rise you are defeating the object.
I have a terrible problem in the morning, so have 10 carbs in total of raspberries and yoghurt. At least it’s healthy and helps to slow things down. Add 10 carbs to your daily total, better that than pumping even more insulin in to stop the dump.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My take on this would be, it’s all very well being low carb, but if you are not stopping the morning rise you are defeating the object.
I have a terrible problem in the morning, so have 10 carbs in total of raspberries and yoghurt. At least it’s healthy and helps to slow things down. Add 10 carbs to your daily total, better that than pumping even more insulin in to stop the dump.
Thanks @becca59 , I'd never though of it like that. So I'm going to start eating a wee bit of carb in the morning. It will probably be fruit... lush!!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Eating breakfast is the only way [aside from medication] to tell the alpha cells in the pancreas to stop telling the liver to dump glucose. I try to use Novorapid to lower my fasting levels before breakfast but the reaction is anything but rapid.. it takes perhaps 2 hours to show usually only a small drop. My take on it is that the liver is not able to absorb glucose whilst it is still being told to dump it & after all, that would normally be logical. Only after I eat breakfast does my glucose level begin to respond properly to insulin, I can only assume this is because the liver has stopped dumping glucose & can now absorb instead.
Thanks Keith, I like the logic so going to follow it and also take @becca59's advice. I'm looking forward to the morning already!!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @becca59 , I'd never though of it like that. So I'm going to start eating a wee bit of carb in the morning. It will probably be fruit... lush!!

Just remember berries are better than whole fruit. Good luck!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. Unless I inject at 4am I will usually see a rise from a steady 5/6 to 9/13. Then inject another 3 units for my 10g breakfast. If I do my swim training, I will usually require another 2 units after that. Adrenalin is a nightmare. Managing this diabetes is not just about what we eat. I could be very low carb all the time but it still wouldn’t make me level on my CGM. Only proactive management and acceptance of the condition will do that.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do what MelCP does, every morning. My loyal little liver just pumps out blood sugar around 5am every morning. I can’t get through to it to say it doesn’t need to.

Dawn phenomenon management tactics.

Reactions: LooperCat

LocoRoco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Sue,

I just tried this new "ritual" for past 3 days in the morning .

This is for today :
Woke up at 6:30 am - BG was 8,2mmol , already knew my liver woke up 1 hour earlier than i had :)

Injected insulin at 6:40am - my insulin takes 30mins for its effect .

Immediatly after injecting I made me coffee with cream and 2 scrambled eggs .

At 7:10 , when my insulin starts to kick in I've had a wholegrain slice with peanut butter(around 25g carbs)

Results ? At 8:40 - 7.2mmol .

Ive been struggling to keep BGs low after breakfest . My past results after breakfast were around 10-12 mmol ,despite having readings before breakfast 5-6mmol .

I hope this works the same way the next days .

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m cross with my liver this morning. Woke up at 5:03 at 7.3 so injected 2 units. Went back to sleep until my Tresiba Alarm starts 8 - BG was 7.3, I also took another unit of Novorapid :)

Went downstairs, used the bathroom, made a drink. At 8:20 it was 9.2 :banghead:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Sue,

I just tried this new "ritual" for past 3 days in the morning .

This is for today :
Woke up at 6:30 am - BG was 8,2mmol , already knew my liver woke up 1 hour earlier than i had :)

Injected insulin at 6:40am - my insulin takes 30mins for its effect .

Immediatly after injecting I made me coffee with cream and 2 scrambled eggs .

At 7:10 , when my insulin starts to kick in I've had a wholegrain slice with peanut butter(around 25g carbs)

Results ? At 8:40 - 7.2mmol .

Ive been struggling to keep BGs low after breakfest . My past results after breakfast were around 10-12 mmol ,despite having readings before breakfast 5-6mmol .

I hope this works the same way the next days .

I too have been experiencing big spikes after breakfast, and now follow a similar pattern to @LocoRoco - a very low carb snack straight after I wake up (egg, or lean bacon etc) then normal breakfast some time later, with usual bolus. This usually completely eliminates the post-prandial spike for me. The spike doesn’t seem to occur after lunch or dinner for me (with occasional exceptions).