1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dawn dump

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by SueJB, Apr 3, 2018.

1. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

How about a boiled egg or a little olives and cheese?

2. Keith_Simpson

Keith_Simpson Type 2 · Active Member

Eating breakfast is the only way [aside from medication] to tell the alpha cells in the pancreas to stop telling the liver to dump glucose. I try to use Novorapid to lower my fasting levels before breakfast but the reaction is anything but rapid.. it takes perhaps 2 hours to show usually only a small drop. My take on it is that the liver is not able to absorb glucose whilst it is still being told to dump it & after all, that would normally be logical. Only after I eat breakfast does my glucose level begin to respond properly to insulin, I can only assume this is because the liver has stopped dumping glucose & can now absorb instead.

3. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My take on this would be, it’s all very well being low carb, but if you are not stopping the morning rise you are defeating the object.
    I have a terrible problem in the morning, so have 10 carbs in total of raspberries and yoghurt. At least it’s healthy and helps to slow things down. Add 10 carbs to your daily total, better that than pumping even more insulin in to stop the dump.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @becca59 , I'd never though of it like that. So I'm going to start eating a wee bit of carb in the morning. It will probably be fruit... lush!!

5. SueJB

Thanks Keith, I like the logic so going to follow it and also take @becca59's advice. I'm looking forward to the morning already!!

6. becca59

Just remember berries are better than whole fruit. Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SueJB

Thanks @becca59 but I haven't had an apple for ages so just for tomorrow I'll be Eve:eek:

8. SueJB

9. novorapidboi26

novorapidboi26 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

10. becca59

I agree. Unless I inject at 4am I will usually see a rise from a steady 5/6 to 9/13. Then inject another 3 units for my 10g breakfast. If I do my swim training, I will usually require another 2 units after that. Adrenalin is a nightmare. Managing this diabetes is not just about what we eat. I could be very low carb all the time but it still wouldn’t make me level on my CGM. Only proactive management and acceptance of the condition will do that.

11. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I do what MelCP does, every morning. My loyal little liver just pumps out blood sugar around 5am every morning. I can’t get through to it to say it doesn’t need to.

Dawn phenomenon management tactics.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LocoRoco

LocoRoco Type 1 · Member

Hey Sue,

I just tried this new "ritual" for past 3 days in the morning .

This is for today :
    Woke up at 6:30 am - BG was 8,2mmol , already knew my liver woke up 1 hour earlier than i had :)

Injected insulin at 6:40am - my insulin takes 30mins for its effect .

Immediatly after injecting I made me coffee with cream and 2 scrambled eggs .

At 7:10 , when my insulin starts to kick in I've had a wholegrain slice with peanut butter(around 25g carbs)

Results ? At 8:40 - 7.2mmol .

Ive been struggling to keep BGs low after breakfest . My past results after breakfast were around 10-12 mmol ,despite having readings before breakfast 5-6mmol .

I hope this works the same way the next days .

13. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’m cross with my liver this morning. Woke up at 5:03 at 7.3 so injected 2 units. Went back to sleep until my Tresiba Alarm starts 8 - BG was 7.3, I also took another unit of Novorapid :)

Went downstairs, used the bathroom, made a drink. At 8:20 it was 9.2 :banghead:

14. Richard Fuller

Richard Fuller Type 1 · Member

I too have been experiencing big spikes after breakfast, and now follow a similar pattern to @LocoRoco - a very low carb snack straight after I wake up (egg, or lean bacon etc) then normal breakfast some time later, with usual bolus. This usually completely eliminates the post-prandial spike for me. The spike doesn’t seem to occur after lunch or dinner for me (with occasional exceptions).

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook