Much improved HbA1c!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I got my 3 month review HbA1c test results back today - from a high of 72 at diagnosis in January I've now dropped to 42 - so the lowest end of prediabetes. As I phoned for my results the receptionist said my nurse had written by the result "Much improved - well done!". My nurse is lovely and very up on the latest science - has no problem with me being low carb - I have my proper review with her next week.

The other good news is my cholesterol is the same at 5.6, HDL 1.2 and calculated LDL 3.9 - and apparently that has been passed my GP as fine - PHEW!

I want to thank everyone on this forum - I wouldn't have discovered many techniques for control without you all, from fasting to testing my blood sugars – you are all brilliant and so, so helpful. A particular shout out to @Bluetit1802 who was very patient with my numerous questions at the start of my diabetes journey.

My happiness is tinged with mild frustration that the 42 is a good bit higher than my predicted A1c of 35, based on lots of testing each day which I then put into MySugr for a calculated average. I know my iron levels are a little low, according to previous blood tests, and there's a chance this could have come into play, so I will discuss this at my review next week, armed with my data. Either that or I have been missing peaks somehow - but I do test a lot.

I will report back from my review on Wednesday - but in the meantime THANK YOU!

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Hi all,

I got my 3 month review HbA1c test results back today - from a high of 72 at diagnosis in January I've now dropped to 42 - so the lowest end of prediabetes. As I phoned for my results the receptionist said my nurse had written by the result "Much improved - well done!". My nurse is lovely and very up on the latest science - has no problem with me being low carb - I have my proper review with her next week.

The other good news is my cholesterol is the same at 5.6, HDL 1.2 and calculated LDL 3.9 - and apparently that has been passed my GP as fine - PHEW!

I want to thank everyone on this forum - I wouldn't have discovered many techniques for control without you all, from fasting to testing my blood sugars – you are all brilliant and so, so helpful. A particular shout out to @Bluetit1802 who was very patient with my numerous questions at the start of my diabetes journey.

My happiness is tinged with mild frustration that the 42 is a good bit higher than my predicted A1c of 35, based on lots of testing each day which I then put into MySugr for a calculated average. I know my iron levels are a little low, according to previous blood tests, and there's a chance this could have come into play, so I will discuss this at my review next week, armed with my data. Either that or I have been missing peaks somehow - but I do test a lot.

Congratulations on your much improved HbA1C. I'm not sure how MySugr works, but I know that the HbA1C test can be influenced by the life span of the red blood cells, which I understand can vary quite a bit - the longer the blood cells live, the more glucose they accumulate and can push the result up if your red blood cells last longer than average. Even if the true number is 42, this is a very good result. The signs are good that the next test will be even better!

Reactions: Prem51

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on your much improved HbA1C. I'm not sure how MySugr works, but I know that the HbA1C test can be influenced by the life span of the red blood cells, which I understand can vary quite a bit - the longer the blood cells live, the more glucose they accumulate and can push the result up if your red blood cells last longer than average. Even if the true number is 42, this is a very good result. The signs are good that the next test will be even better!
Thank you :). I didn't know that about lifespan of the blood cells - that's very interesting.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11,

Absolutely wonderfully done. I know how much you worked for this. So well deserved. Congrats. I am absolutely certain your next HbA1c will be even lower.

I second what @Metabolism_Boss said -- there is quite a variance in how long our red blood cells stick around. I would assume given our new healthy life styles they tend to be longer lived than average.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11,

Absolutely wonderfully done. I know how much you worked for this. So well deserved. Congrats. I am absolutely certain your next HbA1c will be even lower.

I second what @Metabolism_Boss said -- there is quite a variance in how long our red blood cells stick around. I would assume given our new healthy life styles they tend to be longer lived than average.
Thanks @ziggy_w . :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@eggs11 wow amazingly well done you - your hard work has paid off and I’m delighted for you. Please accept a big congratulatory hug from me and give yourself a well earnt pat on the back. Celebrations are in order. Re hbaca1 as people have said it can be influenced by a number of things and it’s now really well down and on way to where you want to achieve longer term. It does take time and you need to remember how far you’ve come in three months. Trouble is at start of the three month period that the hbaca1 records you were at 72 and whilst it has come down like a stone it will still reflect a bit what was going on then. When I went down in December to 33 I had already come down to mid fourties and that was when started lCHF so my three months were regularly at a much lower level so average would be better. This next review you’re starting at a good low level so even if you kept your bgs at a similar level to now it will still be lower. Hopes this helps the only way is down for your bgs well done again and do take time to celebrate your huge success in just a few months.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@eggs11 wow amazingly well done you - your hard work has paid off and I’m delighted for you. Please accept a big congratulatory hug from me and give yourself a well earnt pat on the back. Celebrations are in order. Re hbaca1 as people have said it can be influenced by a number of things and it’s now really well down and on way to where you want to achieve longer term. It does take time and you need to remember how far you’ve come in three months. Trouble is at start of the three month period that the hbaca1 records you were at 72 and whilst it has come down like a stone it will still reflect a bit what was going on then. When I went down in December to 33 I had already come down to mid fourties and that was when started lCHF so my three months were regularly at a much lower level so average would be better. This next review you’re starting at a good low level so even if you kept your bgs at a similar level to now it will still be lower. Hopes this helps the only way is down for your bgs well done again and do take time to celebrate your huge success in just a few months.
Thanks @shelley262 - that's good to know. And thank you for your super-helpful responses on other threads - I have used your journey and weight loss as inspiration as to what can be achieved!

Reactions: DJC3

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

Hi Good Egg!

What an achievement that is, I am proud of you and you should be having a dance round the room and a celebration. You also have an enlightened nurse ... and an enlightened doctor who isn't pushing statins. I also want to say that you have done this all by yourself - you asked the questions and ended up with excellent results. You did all the hard work, but thank you for the very kind comment about me, although many others were also there with their answers to your questions.

You must now get your print outs, especially if you want to examine what your red blood cells might be showing. Hopefully the test included a full blood count. With these in your hand you may get some answers to your HbA1c questions - you may not, of course, but it is worth a try. There are a lot of papers about inaccurate HbA1c tests, and I will link to some of these if you want. I have researched this for a few years because my own HbA1c never reflects my own testing, on my meter and through wearing Libre sensors. (and I test religiously post all meals at different times, several times a day)

Reactions: Prem51

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Good Egg!

What an achievement that is, I am proud of you and you should be having a dance round the room and a celebration. You also have an enlightened nurse ... and an enlightened doctor who isn't pushing statins. I also want to say that you have done this all by yourself - you asked the questions and ended up with excellent results. You did all the hard work, but thank you for the very kind comment about me, although many others were also there with their answers to your questions.

You must now get your print outs, especially if you want to examine what your red blood cells might be showing. Hopefully the test included a full blood count. With these in your hand you may get some answers to your HbA1c questions - you may not, of course, but it is worth a try. There are a lot of papers about inaccurate HbA1c tests, and I will link to some of these if you want. I have researched this for a few years because my own HbA1c never reflects my own testing, on my meter and through wearing Libre sensors. (and I test religiously post all meals at different times, several times a day)
Thanks @Bluetit1802 - I am happy and relieved all at once! I'm particularly pleased that my cholesterol level isn't being raised as an issue by my GP. I am intending to request print-outs of my results later today and yes if you could show me those links, that would be great.
I will always be indebted to everyone who has ever responded to my questions, or I've read some advice on their own threads - but you got my shout-out as you are endlessly patient with newbies' questions and I see you on here TIRELESSLY helping others with their concerns. :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! Keep up the good work!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great result well done mate. :joyful:

If it helps I substitute spinach for lettuce great source of iron. ;)
:bag:
Thanks - I like your straightforward 'remove fat from the liver' approach, as you mentioned the other day, and am intending to follow lots of your tips as I continue to try and lower my levels.

Reactions: There is no Spoon