Any decent low carb breakfast cereals out there?

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I am a newby to all this finger pricking stuff but I am slowly getting used to things.

My biggest problem is breakfast. I am on the low carb diet which seems to be working (so far). I don't want my wife to end up cooking three times a day (I tend to leave more mess and pots so she kindly does the food). I've been having two shredded wheat with whole milk but I see on the pack, that even the shredded wheat is high in carbs.

Anyone know of a nice tasting breakfast cereal available in the UK. I'm a bit fussy in that I don't like dried fruit so that puts muesli out.

Advice would be fantastic

Many thanks

Paul
I take raspberries or strawberries out of the freezer to defrost overnight. In the morning I add Oatly non dairy 'cream' which I find more palatable than Greek yoghourt and compares very well on sugar content. I did try dairy cream which is lower in sugar content than yoghourt but it brought out my eczema so I switched to Oatly.I put a sprinkling of mixed seeds on the top. It's very quick to put together so is good on a work morning.
I usually have eggs at weekend and toast on one day as a treat.
I'm not one of the experts on low carb, so anyone please feel free to set me right on this one.

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take raspberries or strawberries out of the freezer to defrost overnight. In the morning I add Oatly non dairy 'cream' which I find more palatable than Greek yoghourt and compares very well on sugar content. I did try dairy cream which is lower in sugar content than yoghourt but it brought out my eczema so I switched to Oatly.I put a sprinkling of mixed seeds on the top. It's very quick to put together so is good on a work morning.
I usually have eggs at weekend and toast on one day as a treat.
I'm not one of the experts on low carb, so anyone please feel free to set me right on this one.
I'll set you right alright - I think you are EXACTLY right!!!
For a moderate carbing pre-diabetic who wants to lose weight - like me, and I think like the OP - only I do use greek yog.
Tesco does very good comparatively cheap frozen Imperfectly Perfect Mixed Berries, if I keep the serving to 50g one bag lasts a month.

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There must be some other reason why he was told that. Cheese doesn't raise blood glucose levels.
That's what i thought.He is on Meds for cholestrol and i know cheese is bad for Cholestrol but he says he was only told to stop having cheese since getting Diabetes.

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But how high does it send your blood glucose levels, and for how long?
Oats, honey and milk are things I need to avoid, along with other high carb foods, so as to keep my BG in the normal range.
I don't know bcos i can't test all the time bcos i can't afford to keep buying test strips as i'm not working.I just assumed it was ok bcos my Nurse told me i could have it.Won't be having it anymore since someone on here told me it's a Marketing ploy and oats will spike Blood sugars!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what i thought.He is on Meds for cholestrol and i know cheese is bad for Cholestrol but he says he was only told to stop having cheese since getting Diabetes.
He needs to read up some on cholesterol.... and statins... and whether they are doing him any good.

Reactions: Julie27318

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There must be some other reason why he was told that. Cheese doesn't raise blood glucose levels.
He as Cholestrol too which he takes meds for but it's only since Diabetes he was told stop having cheese!!

Julie27318

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never seen anything that suggests Oat Beta Glucan is good for blood sugar, only for cholesterol and I take even that with a pinch of salt. It's a fibre which means it won't raise blood sugar levels. That particular product isn't 100% oats, it's something like 33%~ oat flour produced to a cost price.

Even with a 100% oats product, as a Type 1, I have to take an insulin dose about 40 minutes in advance of oats in a morning to control a spike in blood glucose.
I thought T1 was Low Blood Sugar? I am T2 High

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought T1 was Low Blood Sugar? I am T2 High

Hi Julie,

T1 is indeed high blood sugars. We use insulin to lower & control/balance out the rises.. :) (but we are prone to dropping sharp if we get it wrong.)

I feel you would be in safe hands listening to advice from the diet controlled Ds..
It's confusing enough for us guys on insulin?! ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T2 but mines High Blood sugar.I make insulin but ut's not being used properly.How can T1 be High.I have a relative who's type 1 she's had it from being a kid she as insulin injections but doesn't make her own.
Her's is Low

Maybe get your Relative to become a member here? If she feels she maybe having issues then She can start a different topic in the T1 section. You are welcome to join in with her too on there.. :)

Reactions: Julie27318

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have organic oats with Chestnut Flower Honey and Goats Milk for breakfast without any blood sugar spikes. The carbs in Oats are very slow to be absorbed into the blood stream and are considered to be low GI.

Please have a look at Profesor Robert Thomas details for honey... not a goid idea for breakfast..

You are fasting it ovenight and then fedding it a natural form of glucose which is basically poison after fasting our bodies overnight.

This use of honey really un nerves me.. jyst because it is a "natural" product, doesnt mean its good.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Please don't eat ANYTHING at breakfast time. Instead read 'Breakfast is a dangerous meal' by Professor Terence Kealey. It's a revelation.

I agree with that totally..

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys?

Can we keep this topic within the specific requirements of @paulloseby ?
The member is diet managed & looking for appropriate breakfast ideas.

Thanks. :)

AFM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a newby to all this finger pricking stuff but I am slowly getting used to things.

My biggest problem is breakfast. I am on the low carb diet which seems to be working (so far). I don't want my wife to end up cooking three times a day (I tend to leave more mess and pots so she kindly does the food). I've been having two shredded wheat with whole milk but I see on the pack, that even the shredded wheat is high in carbs.

Anyone know of a nice tasting breakfast cereal available in the UK. I'm a bit fussy in that I don't like dried fruit so that puts muesli out.

Many thanks

Paul
Gone through that, the low carb diets, I say what the heck I started on the diet twenty years ago, then went onto the tablets now I am on insulin 44 units in the morning and 44 units at tea, and am averaging 8.00mm, I have my 2 Wetbix , 2 Pieces of toast with marmalade, and a cup of expresso, live your life now trying to gain a couple in later years is foolish

Dochera

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Many thanks

Paul

Dochera

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Many thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,
I know how you feel, most cereals are high in carbs which limits the choice for us. I’ve come across a couple of relatively low-ish cereals which I use. For instance Lizzi’s Granola, there around 3 choices in this range. I’ve got the ‘Low Sugar’ one just now which is 45.2g per 100g. Also, Tesco finest Seven Nut granola which is 48.4g per 100g. The lowest branded cereal I can find is Kellogg’s All-bran at 48g per 100g.
I normally add natural Greek yoghurt from Lidl which is 3.2g per 100g & a bit of fresh fruit e.g. peach @ 10g per 100g.
In total the mix of the above I have is normally around 25gs of carb. I have it with nil carb unsweetened soya milk again from Lidl. The soya milk & natural yoghurt took a while to get used to but I think it’s a nice breakfast now. I usually change the fruit using the lowest carb fruits I can get. I also weigh each thing.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Gone through that, the low carb diets, I say what the heck I started on the diet twenty years ago, then went onto the tablets now I am on insulin 44 units in the morning and 44 units at tea, and am averaging 8.00mm, I have my 2 Wetbix , 2 Pieces of toast with marmalade, and a cup of expresso, live your life now trying to gain a couple in later years is foolish
I started on the low carb diet over 40 years ago - I can't cope with carbs - though was only diagnosed with type two 18 months ago - for me breakfast is always going to be no more than 10 gm of carb along with the eggs, bacon sausage kippers chop option - I saw my grandmother's decline and I am not going that way. She lost more than a couple of years of life.
I'm with Epicurus - whilst we are alive, let us live.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Do mind me asking what your low carb diet was and what was it that decided tablets were the next step? Your experience would interest a number of members, who wonder, like myself how long low carb diets can keep remission going.
Cheers

antco

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Many thanks

Paul
HAVE YOU TRIED PORRIDGE

antco

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Many thanks

Paul
HAVE YOU LOOKED AT PORRIDGE AS YOU CAN DO IT IN THE MICROWAVE AND IT COMES IN POTS AWELL

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
HAVE YOU LOOKED AT PORRIDGE AS YOU CAN DO IT IN THE MICROWAVE AND IT COMES IN POTS AWELL

Is that what you have? Have you used a meter to test how much of a spike there is? For the vast majority of us T2s porridge is off the menu. Have you looked at the pots to see how many carbs are in it> (on the nutrition label). You may have a shock. :arghh:

What diabetes medications are you on?