Not sure about testing after meals

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very newly diagnosed, and I have just started testing my blood glucose today.

I tested when I woke up, and before meals - I also tested two hours after the first bite - is this right or should it have been 2 hours after finishing the meal?

I was a very slow eater today, in both cases taking an hour to finish because I am eating a lot of vegetables - I am testing at the right time if I test 2 hours after the meal started, or do I need to push it back until 2 hours after I had finished?

I am feeling slightly confused, and would love some feedback on this from more experienced members.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I thought so but then I started to doubt myself. There is a lot to take in at the moment.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Officially it is 2hrs after first bite but that doesn't make sense to me for a really long meal. The idea is that your BG should have to returned to within 2mmol/l of the before meal level to test the suitability of the meal. If that is a typical length of your meal why not test 2 hrs after first bite and 2 hours after you finish as an experiment to see if it makes much difference.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I test two hours after I finish as I eat high fat very low carb and find I peak later. Most important thing I believe is consistency so I always test two hours after and compare results of different meals that way that’s what works for me! ,
Maybe if you were eating more carbs peak would be earlier.

Reactions: AllieRainbow

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will give you the figures:

Before the meal: 6.8
2 hours after first bite: 9.7 (60 mins after last bite)
+ 30mins on previous time - 90 mins after last bite: 8.5
+ 30 mins on previous time - 2 hours after last bite: 7.7

Reactions: CranberryIce