1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Not sure about testing after meals

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by AllieRainbow, May 6, 2018.

1. AllieRainbow

AllieRainbow Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am very newly diagnosed, and I have just started testing my blood glucose today.

I tested when I woke up, and before meals - I also tested two hours after the first bite - is this right or should it have been 2 hours after finishing the meal?

I was a very slow eater today, in both cases taking an hour to finish because I am eating a lot of vegetables - I am testing at the right time if I test 2 hours after the meal started, or do I need to push it back until 2 hours after I had finished?

I am feeling slightly confused, and would love some feedback on this from more experienced members.

2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It's two hour after the "first bite".

• Like Like x 1
  3. AllieRainbow

Thank you, I thought so but then I started to doubt myself. There is a lot to take in at the moment.

4. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Officially it is 2hrs after first bite but that doesn't make sense to me for a really long meal. The idea is that your BG should have to returned to within 2mmol/l of the before meal level to test the suitability of the meal. If that is a typical length of your meal why not test 2 hrs after first bite and 2 hours after you finish as an experiment to see if it makes much difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I test two hours after I finish as I eat high fat very low carb and find I peak later. Most important thing I believe is consistency so I always test two hours after and compare results of different meals that way that’s what works for me! ,
    Maybe if you were eating more carbs peak would be earlier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AllieRainbow

I will give you the figures:

Before the meal: 6.8
    2 hours after first bite: 9.7 (60 mins after last bite)
    + 30mins on previous time - 90 mins after last bite: 8.5
    + 30 mins on previous time - 2 hours after last bite: 7.7

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook