What do you miss the most before becoming diabetic?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Being carefree and doing spontaneous things without much thought like going to music festivals and being able to stay up all night drinking with friends and then sleeping in, mind you that's was before becoming a parent, so does that still count :)
I tend to be more spontaneous now. There's just no point in not doing things anymore.

Reactions: luv2spin

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I tend to be more spontaneous now. There's just no point in not doing things anymore.

I still do festivals and concerts but more planning is required now, it’s certainly curbed my carefree ways.

Reactions: dbr10

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a high tea at our wedding. I always dreamed of doing it again with everyone we love, when we'd hit 12,5 years. But I'll never have another high tea now... And I think I'll break down and cry if we throw one and I can't participate. I'm fine with my diet most days, really. But this just makes my heart ache.

D

Deleted Account

We had a high tea at our wedding. I always dreamed of doing it again with everyone we love, when we'd hit 12,5 years. But I'll never have another high tea now... And I think I'll break down and cry if we throw one and I can't participate. I'm fine with my diet most days, really. But this just makes my heart ache.
I wonder if it would be possible for a creative person to come up with a low carb high tea. I would start with some frittata, maybe some cheese and cold meats.
Some of the low carb meal photos posted here look amazing - there are certainly some clever chefs on the forum.

Reactions: Juicyj

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if it would be possible for a creative person to come up with a low carb high tea. I would start with some frittata, maybe some cheese and cold meats.
Some of the low carb meal photos posted here look amazing - there are certainly some clever chefs on the forum.
I could probably create something myself. But the venue wouldn't be pleased about it, even if they have 40 proper Tea's to serve. ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Also not eating biscuits and today I am promoting and samplong.............. yes, biscuits :rolleyes::D

Reactions: Juicyj

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What foods will they serve?
Could go for other stuff on the menu. But a tea lasts longer. Small items, takes about 2 hours to eat those, sometimes 3... I can draw out a salad to 30 minutes, tops. ;) We'll think of something. The venue also does bbq's& salads served by their giant fireplace flanked by suits of armour... Just not what I'd dreamed of. But still, nice... (And tasty. And low carb.) You know, I hadn't even thought about their other options...! Feeling better now. ;)

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I love lollies and ice cream. I miss them terribly. I still sneak the odd ice cream cone but only 40g and if I've had no carbs with the meal. Not so lucky with the lollies though. On the upside, I like being 18kg lighter. I can actually see my manhood when I have a shower these days.

Reactions: Dodo and luv2spin

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love lollies and ice cream. I miss them terribly. I still sneak the odd ice cream cone but only 40g and if I've had no carbs with the meal. Not so lucky with the lollies though. On the upside, I like being 18kg lighter. I can actually see my manhood when I have a shower these days.
I wonder if there are any low carb lollies out there? (yes I know I could just freeze some sugar free squash). I love to still eat sugar free jelly and some low carb ice cream (on offer in Sainsburys right now according to another thread!). Trying to keep my kids off the sweet stuff so if there are any recommendations I'd be grateful!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I wonder if there are any low carb lollies out there? (yes I know I could just freeze some sugar free squash). I love to still eat sugar free jelly and some low carb ice cream (on offer in Sainsburys right now according to another thread!). Trying to keep my kids off the sweet stuff so if there are any recommendations I'd be grateful!
Unfortunately, the sugar free lollies have a laxative effect and cause me spend quite some time on the pooper. One time I had a bad cold and a cough. My lovely wife bought me some sugar free cough drops. I didn't read the label first. I had no idea what was causing the runs and went over everything I was eating. This went on for a couple of days while I kept sucking the cough drops. I was sitting on the throne and I just happened to read the packet and my eyes nearly popped out (along with some other stuff).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately, the sugar free lollies have a laxative effect and cause me spend quite some time on the pooper. One time I had a bad cold and a cough. My lovely wife bought me some sugar free cough drops. I didn't read the label first. I had no idea what was causing the runs and went over everything I was eating. This went on for a couple of days while I kept sucking the cough drops. I was sitting on the throne and I just happened to read the packet and my eyes nearly popped out (along with some other stuff).

Kids mini milk lollies are only 5.1g carbs each and come in chocolate, strawberry and vanilla flavours :hungry::)

Reactions: karen8967

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could go for other stuff on the menu. But a tea lasts longer. Small items, takes about 2 hours to eat those, sometimes 3... I can draw out a salad to 30 minutes, tops. ;) We'll think of something. The venue also does bbq's& salads served by their giant fireplace flanked by suits of armour... Just not what I'd dreamed of. But still, nice... (And tasty. And low carb.) You know, I hadn't even thought about their other options...! Feeling better now. ;)

I’m going to an afternoon tea next week as part of a friend’s birthday present (she was given tickets to a cricket match that includes a tour of the Oval and afternoon tea). The venue have agreed I can have a plate made up with sandwich fillings minus the bread and extra cream and no jam with the 1 scone I will allow myself. Suits me.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There just has to be a way to celebrate all together without it's centring round food that will be a harmful temptation to you and many other participants, and which won't give rise to painful comparisons. Our tradition of eating and drinking together to celebrate is not doing anyone any favours nowadays, and IMO we have to find a substitute. I do know an extended family which regularly parkruns together, including the children and the over-80 grandmother, but obviously not everyone in every group can even walk 3+ miles. How about a special train trip together to a lovely venue? Maybe booking a whole coach? In some areas there are special "heritage" train lines and trains. Or a boat trip? Canal boats come to mind. Here in Yorkshire you can hire a boat and horse (with groom!)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I desperately miss the amount of time I no longer have to exercise and enjoy the outdoors. So often when before I would have just grabbed a snack (fruit, milk, bread ...) and gone out, nowadays I have to remember, "If I don't cook some chicken or boil some eggs I will have absolutely nothing to eat when I get back. And if I don't weigh out some nuts and pack up some cheese I'll have nothing to eat while I'm out either." So I buckle to, cook the chicken, and then it's too late to do anything else.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m going to an afternoon tea next week as part of a friend’s birthday present (she was given tickets to a cricket match that includes a tour of the Oval and afternoon tea). The venue have agreed I can have a plate made up with sandwich fillings minus the bread and extra cream and no jam with the 1 scone I will allow myself. Suits me.
You could take your own jam. Here’s a recipe. It’s a really good substitute IMO:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/instant-low-carb-raspberry-jam

Reactions: Sue192

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our tradition of eating and drinking together to celebrate is not doing anyone any favours nowadays, and IMO we have to find a substitute.
While I agree there are many different ways to celebrate being together, as mentioned, I do find that sentence depressing. Why find a substitute? I have been to a couple of meal celebrations and it was no problem to find something to eat, and the sheer joy of sitting down together (in one case in a garden centre off the M5 as it was the easiest place for scattered friends and relatives to get to), talking, eating and drinking is just wonderful. I realise it's your opinion, but in so many circumstances the 'breaking of bread' together (figuratively speaking) at a special occasion is precious. I fully understand @JoKalsbeek's sadness though - high/afternoon teas are fraught with problems for diabetics, even without the emotional aspect, and they are so popular.

On the OP's question, I have found my food bills are increasing (almost to the level of the cat's) and trundling through supermarkets can bring home what is now off the menu and the 'oh, I think I'll try that' is now tempered with serious label reading; on the other hand what was on the menu was pretty unhealthy at times. Of course there's the added 'fun' of finger stabbing and finding that the claret has decorated everything in sight without me realising....

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds good. Might be nice on one of the Lidl rolls I still have left.
It is. Try it with some clotted cream on a Lidl roll (no, I'm not jealous. Not at all. :p) and it's almost like a cream tea scone.