Bread ... why?

D

Deleted member 308541

Here's that pix of the Herman Brot lower carb bread mentioned earlier in this thread.

5.4 grams in these two slices.

2uAvWSz.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

and then there's vegemite.
I had Vegimite on Hb Lower Carb bread with my breakfast the other morning, it helps keep my immunity to Drop Bear attacks up.

and then there is the one fruit that you have to wonder what kind of joke God was pulling when he conceived it - Durian.
So it smells a bit like a sewer, it tastes alright and that's the main thing.

D

Deleted member 308541

it actually looks like some kind of sprouted rye bread
Lot's of sprouted rye in it according to the ingredients.

INGREDIENTS
Water, Wheat Protein, Soy Protein, Lupin Protein, Soy Meal, Linseed, Sunflower seeds, Soy Grits, Wholegrain Wheat Meal, Wheat Bran, Soy Flour, Yeast, Vinegar, Apple Fibre, Iodised Salt, Roasted Malted Barley Flour, Emulsifier (322 from Soy) Acidity Regulator (262).

(No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives)
https://hermanbrot.com.au/products/low-carb-bread/

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have often wondered why we see so many threads about bread?
I gave it up and don't miss it but many people spend ages trying to find low carb bread (which must surely be an oxymoron).
So why do you think we need to eat it?
Habit, lack of imagination or does it fill another role (intentional pun) in our lives? I'm interested to have your thoughts.
I just love bread simple as that , it's the one food that I would find the hardest to give up .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This thread has taken an ominous turn...

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
am I the only one on here who really, really hates bread with bits in, and strange flavours etc etc?

D

Deleted member 308541

am I the only one on here who really, really hates bread with bits in, and strange flavours etc etc?
I preferred white to wholemeal with all the nuts and bolts in it, but I did start to like it a few years back. I like the HB Lower Carb bread tastes real nice.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
You seem to conveniently forget the hundreds of thousands of years when we didn't eat grains (or at least not domesticated grains). You stated Stop the Insanity... I don't think there is any" insanity" in not eating bread or trying to consume as few carbs as possible. I have no intention of starving and eat very well thanks. You were the one with the hysterical reaction to a simple question. Why eat something that we know has contributed to making us ill in the first place. To me it seems completely illogical but there are obviously many others who disagree.
Hello Bulkbiker - first time in my life I can remember being called 'hysterical' - compliment - Nah I don't believe you were of that mind then - the insanity was referring to the way almost everything we eat, including bread, is being blamed for Diabetes. If government departments can completely disagree with each other on saturated and unsaturated fats - who are you to call me hysterical? Apology sought but not expected.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
As long as its not negatively impacting on someones blood sugars (as evidenced by testing and retesting ) then theres no imperative to give anything up. I think people (in cluding me) are uncomfortable with people being told / strongly sdvised to give up anything without knowing exactly how their sugars are being affected. Any dietary advice given without account of the individuals metabolic responses is flawed IMO, be it the eat well plate, lchf, keto, weight watchers or anything inbetween

By that logic as long as you don’t test you can eat anything. Makes sense.

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'll have a pound of Jelly babies please...Not really of course but if nothing is off limits then I'd have to ask if the said individual who could live by the "Nothing is off limits" way of eating is even a diabetic in the first place.:watching:

Reactions: rab5

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Given that you have made this comment after quoting my post, I can only assume you have either simply not read or have deliberately chosen to ignore the phrase in my original post of any foods being ok to eat as long as they are “ evidenced by testing and re-testing” as “ not negatively impacting on blood sugars”

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello Bulkbiker - first time in my life I can remember being called 'hysterical' - compliment - Nah I don't believe you were of that mind then - the insanity was referring to the way almost everything we eat, including bread, is being blamed for Diabetes. If government departments can completely disagree with each other on saturated and unsaturated fats - who are you to call me hysterical? Apology sought but not expected.

May I ask your opinion on the the cause/s of the epidemic that is Type 2 Diabetes and obesity?

Edited for spelling mistake.

Last edited:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
There are certain things that type 2 diabetics should avoid. You pay lip service to the view anything is negotiable. You can do all the testing you want. Carbs in any form are not good for t2s I would further argue not good for anyone. They are not an essential nutrient. By logical extension not required for life.

Reactions: dbr10

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Are you serious. Calm down. Lmao

Reactions: dbr10 and Simon84

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've avoided this thread because I miss bread soooooo much - I'd pretty much given up on it altogether as it always made me spike.

Then this morning in a rebellious mood I had two pieces of sourdough toast at breakfast after my usual morning oats. It was DELICIOUS :) Checked an hour later to see what the horrible damage was - and I was 4.9 - up from a 4.0 fasting!

Not what I was expecting - but very happy :)

Reactions: AdamJames