Bread ... why?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive also never experienced ‘carb cravings’ - my personal theory is thar what are called ‘carb cravings’ may really be ‘sugar cravings’ - Ive never really liked very sweet stuff so have never eaten much of the stuff and have never craved it.

Same with me. I've never had a sweet tooth, rarely eaten puddings, never been addicted to chocolate etc. So you probably have a good point. I'm a savoury girl! ;)

Edited to add, whilst @bulkbiker fails to see why anyone would want bread, I fail to see why anyone would want Oppo ice cream or dark chocolate.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We only use solid fats - lard, butter, goose and duck fat. No more vegetable oils in this house. :)

Me three. And the very first thing I noticed was that when the family make chips there's no longer a lingering smell as with vegi oil.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My craving are for the direct refined sugars, not general carbs, when they happen.

Due to other medical issues, I would be harmed by giving up all carbs. Some people DO need carbs in their diet. This idea that everyone does not need carbs is simplistic. It may be that there are not understood aspects of complex carbs which are,as yet, unknown and necessary for some people. Science is a continual process and the research is new and focused on only the diabetic aspect of the influence of carbs in most cases.

There is no question that carbs affect blood sugar levels, but treating one problem may, for some, result in causing or exacerbating another, be it physically or psychologically.

Perhaps we could differentiate between complex carbs and pure sugars initially?

we are all different, and have different needs

Reactions: KK123

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have/had a very sweet tooth, but I don't remember ever having cravings for sweets and chocolate. Bread was always the thing that hit something deep inside. For a long time it was difficult to have sourdough bread in the house and not eat it. I think the food that I miss most is home baked multigrain brown bread. Followed some way behind by chips. With chips it is more the idea; taste one and "huh, is that it?". I struggle to work out why I ever bothered wit pizza.
So I think food addictions are very personal, probably with a genetic component in there somewhere.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The increasing evidence re the influence of gut biome on overall health and the role of fibre in determining the make up and diversity of the gut biome would also point to a need for less simplistic analyses of the place of carbs as does the research on resistant starchI also read somewhere (can’t remember where) that gut bacteria and the balance of the different species probably have strong influences on both obesity and individual food cravings

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Crisp sarnies!!!!!!!! Thin white bread loaded with crisps, pressed down, crisps then perforating the bread. Childhood memories.

My sister used to eat sugar sandwiches when we came home from school( !970's) ! I liked a banana sandwich.......... or in a crusty roll....................:hungry:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
We could all Baguette to differ,
Knead to use our Loaf
Look at posts and say 'Dough' !

It's Sunday afternoon and I just love this thread, let it Roll ..................... ;):p

Reactions: donnellysdogs

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My sister used to eat sugar sandwiches when we came home from school( !970's) ! I liked a banana sandwich.......... or in a crusty roll....................:hungry:
Slightly off the sandwich theme. We used to eat cucumber dipped in sugar back in the 1970's.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's with all the chirpy posts recently?

I'm in all afternoon and would like a heated debate. I'll probably need to stop at about 9pm.

Is anyone up for this?

Maybe starting off calm until 5pm, then with increased use of capital letters until about 6pm.

Between 6-7pm we could start emphasising the parts of each other's posts that most annoy us using bold.

After 7pm we could really ramp things up and go into chaos mode by very selectively quoting each other out of context and interpreting everything anyone writes in the way that annoys us the most and raging against them.

From 8 - 8:50pm we could start using hostile language and introducing personal insults.

We could reach Peak Insult at 8:50pm, then use the remaining 10 minutes till 9pm to have a cup of tea and reflect on what happened while the moderators clean up?

I've got a lot of house work that needs doing and this could get me out of it.

Reactions: DJC3

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What's with all the chirpy posts recently?

I'm in all afternoon and would like a heated debate. I'll probably need to stop at about 9pm.

Is anyone up for this?

Maybe starting off calm until 5pm, then with increased use of capital letters until about 6pm.

Between 6-7pm we could start emphasising the parts of each other's posts that most annoy us using bold.

After 7pm we could really ramp things up and go into chaos mode by very selectively quoting each other out of context and interpreting everything anyone writes in the way that annoys us the most and raging against them.

From 8 - 8:50pm we could start using hostile language and introducing personal insults.

We could reach Peak Insult at 8:50pm, then use the remaining 10 minutes till 9pm to have a cup of tea and reflect on what happened while the moderators clean up?

I've got a lot of house work that needs doing and this could get me out of it.
so, a normal thread then LOLOLOLOL

darnit - @Bluetit1802 got there first - shall I huff or flounce : )))))

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Reactions: ziggy_w

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of the FB comments are from type 1's, so why wouldnt they eat bread? what is wrong with type 1's having carbs? genuine questions here. I thought they just use more insulin to cover what they eat?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Many of the FB comments are from type 1's, so why wouldnt they eat bread? what is wrong with type 1's having carbs? genuine questions here. I thought they just use more insulin to cover what they eat?
I’m type one and eat low carb because I’ve found that after insulin it’s the best treatment for me. I have not had much success with split doses and timings to avoid spikes, so find it easier and it makes me less prone to highs and hypos. It’s just simpler for me, but most T1s eat a “normal” diet and manage just fine. I just can’t be bothered with it all! I run a very smooth and even line on my Libre, and that’s how I like it. Not had a night hypo in three months, and haven’t been lower than 3.4 or higher than 9.6 in that time. It’s all horses for courses :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m type one and eat low carb because I’ve found that after insulin it’s the best treatment for me. I have not had much success with split doses and timings to avoid spikes, so find it easier and it makes me less prone to highs and hypos. It’s just simpler for me, but most T1s eat a “normal” diet and manage just fine. I just can’t be bothered with it all! I run a very smooth and even line on my Libre, and that’s how I like it. Not had a night hypo in three months, and haven’t been lower than 3.4 or higher than 9.6 in that time. It’s all horses for courses :)
thank you.